Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watermelonbook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
all Best Buy stores around me have ATV4, but where can I buy online right now?

don't really feel like paying almost $8.50 sales tax by walking to the local Buy... yes, all of them have the ATV4 32GB in stock as of last night....

but I'd rather order from a reputable online retailer that offers free shipping and doesn't collect sales tax.

thanks!

watermelonbook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014

Thanks! I went to Mac Mall and it was indeed in-stock. I entered all of my payment info and then noticed sales tax in the order summary. Apparently they only collect sales tax for shipments to a few states. I'm 2000+ miles away and unfortunately, my state is one of those states, so there is a tax of about $11.50. :( :( :(

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Thanks! I went to Mac Mall and it was indeed in-stock. I entered all of my payment info and then noticed sales tax in the order summary. Apparently they only collect sales tax for shipments to a few states. I'm 2000+ miles away and unfortunately, my state is one of those states, so there is a tax of about $11.50. :( :( :(

You can try B&H or Adorama.

watermelonbook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
You can try B&H or Adorama.

Thanks! B&H Photo is my favorite store, but sadly they are also out of stock until 11/10. Adorama has no date listed.

Guess I'll just be a good citizen and pay the $11 sales tax by heading down to the local Best Buy this afternoon. :)

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Thanks! B&H Photo is my favorite store, but sadly they are also out of stock until 11/10. Adorama has no date listed.

Guess I'll just be a good citizen and pay the $11 sales tax by heading down to the local Best Buy this afternoon. :)

In your initial post, you state the sales tax is "almost $8.50"... now it's "$11 sales tax"...

No body likes paying taxes, but the same ones who complain loudest, are among the first in line to avail themselves of the government services provided by the revenue generated by those taxes.

It's a strange, strange world we live in, Master Jack.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
all Best Buy stores around me have ATV4, but where can I buy online right now?

don't really feel like paying almost $8.50 sales tax by walking to the local Buy... yes, all of them have the ATV4 32GB in stock as of last night....

but I'd rather order from a reputable online retailer that offers free shipping and doesn't collect sales tax.

thanks!
I would rather pay the sales tax ($8.50) and get it now then buy it online and get it in a few days. Is 8.50 really too much money to pay?

Last edited:

watermelonbook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
In your initial post, you state the sales tax is "almost $8.50"... now it's "$11 sales tax"...

No body likes paying taxes, but the same ones who complain loudest, are among the first in line to avail themselves of the government services provided by the revenue generated by those taxes.

It's a strange, strange world we live in, Master Jack.

tax for 64gb is higher because it's $199.99. :)

although me and myself are still debating with us whether to get the 32gb or 64gb. :D

I went with the cheap option when I bought the Macbook Air 256gb. Bad mistake. Should have gone with the 512gb. Now I have this ugly Corsair USB 512gb flash drive hanging off my Macbook Air most of the time.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I went with the cheap option when I bought the Macbook Air 256gb. Bad mistake. Should have gone with the 512gb. Now I have this ugly Corsair USB 512gb flash drive hanging off my Macbook Air most of the time.
Exactly. Honestly the 32gb might be fine for my use but I don't think I have ever looked back on a purchase and felt I really got too much memory at the cost. But a number of times I have said I wish I had more. For me the 64gb is what I am getting for all of my TV's. I hope to be able to put them to good use.

watermelonbook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
tax for 64gb is higher because it's $199.99. :)

although me and myself are still debating with us whether to get the 32gb or 64gb. :D
Exactly. Honestly the 32gb might be fine for my use but I don't think I have ever looked back on a purchase and felt I really got too much memory at the cost. But a number of times I have said I wish I had more. For me the 64gb is what I am getting for all of my TV's. I hope to be able to put them to good use.

I just made the same mistake again. My local Best Buy store sold out of them this morning. When I was in the store, I saw a lady grab the last one. When I left my house, I should not have stopped in the driveway and chatted to my hot single MILF neighbor for 15 minutes. I'm using the word "chatting" loosely because she did most of the talking and I just stared at her magnificent... well.. you know.. (she said she didn't mind) Otherwise, I'd be holding the new ATV4 right now.

The manager told me more will be here next Monday. However, she was nice enough and ordered one for me from BestBuy.com and she was even able to waive the $9.99 overnight shipping. It will be delivered tomorrow. Call me crazy, but I think the Best Buy people have gotten nicer and nicer lately.

Against my better judgement, I went with the 32gb. On my current ATV3, I only use it for YouTube, MLB and Netflix 99% of the time. Of course, I can return/exchange it for the 64gb because Best Buy's holiday return period is extended to January. :)

Reactions: turbineseaplane

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I thought most online retailers charge you tax unless the product is not actually available in your state.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
When I left my house, I should not have stopped in the driveway and chatted to my hot single MILF neighbor for 15 minutes. I'm using the word "chatting" loosely because she did most of the talking and I just stared at her magnificent... well.. you know.. (she said she didn't mind) Otherwise, I'd be holding the new ATV4 right now.

It sounds like you made the right decision to me actually...

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I thought most online retailers charge you tax unless the product is not actually available in your state.
I read that if the online retailer has an actual physical presence in your state, then they charge tax. This is why the iTunes store started charging tax years ago.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I read that if the online retailer has an actual physical presence in your state, then they charge tax. This is why the iTunes store started charging tax years ago.

I know amazon does not have a physical store in my state, but if the product is sold in my state I get charged taxed. If it is an item I cannot get in my state I do not get charged tax.

I can't really think of anything off hand that falls under that category, but I pretty much pay tax on everything now.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
The manager told me more will be here next Monday. However, she was nice enough and ordered one for me from BestBuy.com and she was even able to waive the $9.99 overnight shipping. It will be delivered tomorrow. Call me crazy, but I think the Best Buy people have gotten nicer and nicer lately.
Another thing I recently found out is that BestBuy now will price match against Amazon if sold and shipped by Amazon. My son said they even matched if just sold (not sure in all cases). Anyway, I think this is a really good move. I just got an item from BestBuy that was $129 for $99 because that was the price on Amazon. I just went to Amazon on my iPhone and that was all they needed to give me the new price. It is really hard to justify paying full retail when Amazon can ship out so fast. I sometimes visit BestBuy while waiting for my wife get her hair done. This makes it easier for me to justify buying from them while there.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Another thing I recently found out is that BestBuy now will price match against Amazon if sold and shipped by Amazon. My son said they even matched if just sold (not sure in all cases). Anyway, I think this is a really good move. I just got an item from BestBuy that was $129 for $99 because that was the price on Amazon. I just went to Amazon on my iPhone and that was all they needed to give me the new price. It is really hard to justify paying full retail when Amazon can ship out so fast. I sometimes visit BestBuy while waiting for my wife get her hair done. This makes it easier for me to justify buying from them while there.

They pretty much price match any major online retailer. I am a huge fan of best buy, plus they have a great rewards program. I swear I get $20 certificates every 1-2 months.

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I know amazon does not have a physical store in my state

For Amazon, you need to look at Fulfillment Centers, not stores. Anything like a warehouse or distribution center constitutes a physical presence. The product is irrelevant.

watermelonbook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014

I'm sure
It sounds like you made the right decision to me actually...

You know what, I think you're right! 15 minutes with her was awesome, even if I know there's zero chance of hooking up with her. I'm happily married, but I was just looking.

watermelonbook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Lol I thought the same.
This is a fairly smaller purchase than other Apple products.

true... but I'm planning to purchase four ATV4s
to replace my current four ATV3s. That's
around $40 in taxes. well... I'll have to see
how I like the new ATV4 first, as soon as UPS
delivers it tomorrow afternoon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.