All contacts/groups lost from MobileMe to iCloud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amro, Oct 12, 2011.

1. amro macrumors 6502

This is ridiculous. All my contacts/groups are gone from my iPhone 4 and iCloud after I transitioned to iCloud and upgraded to iOS5. Won't be updating my iPad until I can figure out what happened.

All worked fine under MobileMe. Guess I'm one of the few who thought MobileMe worked just fine. Maybe because the servers weren't overloaded ;)

Any suggestions as to how I can recover my contacts? I had boat load as well as a bunch of groups.

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Err, maybe I'll stick to MobileMe until my subscription expires in a year. Hopefully you can find out what went wrong :s

3. EddyP macrumors 6502

OP:
    You haven't updated your iPad yet. So the contacts should all be on your iPad. Can't you just get them from there?

The first thing that went wrong was not having a backup of the information. When Apple says "hey, you should have a backup before doing this", I made sure I had a backup to avoid this exact situation.

4. amro thread starter macrumors 6502

How do i backup my contacts from MobileMe? i certainly backed up before the ios5 update. problem is that I don't think itunes backup stores the contacts because it used to say "Contact being managed my MobileMe". not sure a restore would do anything.

eddy. i think the ipad still has a link to mobile me. so, i dont think it's really on the ipad. not sure what to do there.

5. galancastillo macrumors newbie

same thing happened to me last nite when i was trying to merge my iCloud account. all my contacts ' information.... gone

6. amro thread starter macrumors 6502

I was actually able to recover with my contacts from my iPad since I hadn't updated that on yet. I can post the solution if you'd like.

7. cirn0 macrumors newbie

It happened to me. You need to speak to apple technical team asap to let their senior engineers to look into the case. They are very friendly and efficient, took about 1 day everything has been recovered for me.

8. Kevsource macrumors newbie

The same can't be said for my wife, who lost her contacts in the migration from MobileMe to iCloud, and while we thought the Apple engineers could/would recover them, we got a note saying they couldn't do it. really frustrating.

Her contacts *are* on her iPhone 3G, so maybe we'll need to wait to upgrade her phone in order to get those contacts to iCloud?

9. amro thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, this is what I did with the help of Apple support.

1. On her iPhone 3G, go to mail settings and turn off contacts, calendars, whatever else she was syncing with MobileMe.
    2. When you turn off contacts, etc, you get the option to delete on phone. DO NOT DELETE! Chose "Keep on my iPhone" for contacts, etc.
    3. Now proceed with backing up the phone and upgrade to ios5. You should have also completed the MobileMe to iCloud transition on your computer which means you have an AppleID.
    4. Once you've upgraded the phone, you will have the iCloud option. When you enable mail, you will be given the option to merge your contacts with iCloud.
    5. When you select "yes", your contacts should get pushed to iCloud.
    6. Same thing with calendars, etc.

Hope this helps. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. If you have a way to backup contacts, do so before trying.

10. soccer2011 macrumors newbie

Contacts from iCloud to iPhone 4

I've synced my contact from my mac to iCloud. I can see them on iCloud but they're not being pushed to my iPhone even though I have my phone set up to sync. All updates on my iPhone are pushed to iCloud but not from iCloud to my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated::roll eyes:

11. keepingup macrumors member

lost contacts solution for some

I lost all my contacts when I updated to ios5 because stupidly I didn't realize that icloud would merge my husband's contacts with mine as we share the same apple id account. I have turned off icloud and now know that we need seperate icloud if not also apple accounts. Meantime all of my phone #s were lost. Then it dawned on me that Verizon, our server, has a nifty app that transfers contacts from phone to phone. Downloaded the app, zip zip zip in 3 minutes all of my contact:Ds were restored. :D