All I want for Christmas is iPhone GPS Turn by Turn

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pointer, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Pointer macrumors regular

What is taking so long for somebody to release a turn by turn GPS map app for the iPhone? You'd have thought, given the success of the App Store, that TomTom and the like would be banging on Apple's door to have their apps approved and be raking in the cash. When we heard iPhone 3G would have GPS there were many rumours that a turn by turn app was imminent but I haven't heard anything recently to suggest that is still the case.

Does anybody have any clue as to when we might see GPS turn by turn implemented for iPhone 3G?

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

We will get Turn by Turn on the iPhone when God err Steve Jobs says we need it. For now you can email or call your final destination for directions. :D
    /sarcasm off
    Until they can get a charger that can power the iPhone and run the GPS+iPhone its totally useless. Read the threads scattered here about the iPhone dieing within 4 hours of google maps GPS use.

3. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

Wouldn't have a clue but i would really like turn by turn. The GPS was one of the things that drew me to the iPhone and with out turn by turn its fairly useless.

4. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

You will never see turn by turn on the iPhone 3g. NEVER. If they have not added the basics, such as video recording and MMS, what makes you think that they will add TBT. Other phones have it, and the iPhone can have it. it they don't want to put it.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It'll get TBT right after:

1) The nav companies talk Apple into NOT taking their 30% pound of flesh.

2) Apple figures out how to sell a car charger with each nav app.

3) Apple figures out how to keep phones charging.

4) Someone figures out how the heck background notifications from a distant server will know when to alert you to the next turn... after the app is shut down by an incoming phone call.

6. pavvento macrumors 6502

Even if we don't have 'real' turn by turn, is there a reason simple changes can't be made to the maps app? If the map app is running, why can't it automatically jump to the next set of directions when the dot reaches the correct spot. It's a pain in the neck, not to mention unsafe, to look down and try and find the arrow, push it, and then read the next set of directions, all while driving! If it automatically changed and made a little noise then at least you would only have to read the directions instead of all of the other steps.

7. neil1255 macrumors newbie

I have a Magellan 760 portable for my car and I paid about $1000 for it about 5 years ago.
    You can get one with almost the same features for about $149.
    A TBT Apple app would be too small to read and you would have to have it hooked up to a speaker system to hear or have it mounted on your dash to see the turn arrows.
    One of the things I worry about with my Magellan is heat.
    The last thing I want to do is have my nice iPhone baking in the sun on a hot summer day.
    Measure your dashboard heat the next time it's 90 outside and you may change your mind.

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Good one. I was thinking the same thing.

9. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

What kind of idiot is going to leave it in their car? It's a phone, not a dedicated GPS car unit.

10. needthephone macrumors 6502a

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The reason, no doubt, is because the map companies, where Google gets their data from, would charge them much more to allow a turn by turn navigation app.

If you use the Google Maps API in your own app or web page, the terms also include a restriction against realtime navigation for the same reason.

You're right about it being unsafe to try to use Google Maps as something it is not. People should either wait for a navigation app with rerouting and voice output, or buy a different phone that has it, or buy a separate GPS.

12. CptFab macrumors newbie

Hopefully whoever makes turn by turn, doesn't have the annoying girl voice which is on so many of them. I am hoping for a Sam. L. Jackson version.

13. neil1255 macrumors newbie

Maybe you ought to read the thread.
    It's about using the phone as a GPS.

14. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

TomTom and Garmin, at least, allow you to select different voices.

My wife couldn't stand the standard girl's voice, but selected an English woman that she likes a lot. Especially when she deliberately goes off-route and the unit calmly states (in a veddy British tone)... "Re-Calc-u-lating" .

16. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

It is interesting to note that it does not mention turn-by-turn guidance on that page. It seems it's just a mapping/routing app like Google Maps, but without the need for a network connection.

17. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

all i want for christmas is god damn copy and paste.

and a new macbook, 2.4ghz. kthnx :D

18. spikedfo macrumors regular

19. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Maybe you should re-read both posts. After using the GPS of the iPhone in the car, you can take it with you because you can keep using it. You don't take the Magellan with you because it has no other use. Only an idiot would figure that since you are using the GPS function you are going to leave it in the car.

20. neil1255 macrumors newbie

You don't leave either one in the car unless you want your windshield broken.
    I was speaking of how hot it gets as it is being used.
    Nowhere did i say you should leave it in the car.
    You came up with that idea all on your own.

21. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    It has been determined that the reason the iphone dies is due to a safety feature on the iphone. When the iphone overheats, the charger stops charging so it doesn't burn it out. the gps function does require a lot of energy, producing heat, thus shutting down the charging feature.

supposedly the two best ways to remedy this would be to remove the iphone case, and keep it cool with the air conditioning

22. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I know turn by turn applications are possible on the iPhone, it just isn't going to be a practical... just stick with your GPS units.

23. orrelse44 macrumors regular

And why is that?

24. firewood macrumors 604

How will turn-by-turn keep the phone cool enough without quickly draining the battery?

25. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I currently use my iphone to navigate unknown areas, if it had turn by turn what would be the difference?