All I want is a Bluray player and a better video card... CMON!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrplough, Jun 7, 2009.

1. mrplough macrumors member

Seriously, first Apple products are ridiculously expensive. Okay given the software is awesome but $1000 more for software and still not get a comparable laptop, seriously...:confused: I have been waiting and waiting for apple to implement blu-ray? Are they not on that committee? And 9600 ... yeah that was good 1 year ago, seriously all I want to do is get a mac, but Apple and their stupid business sense is not making my decision easy. It is the exact same thing that happened last time. There is only so much I am willing to pay for an OS...:mad:I mean i can get a laptop with almost twice the specs for half the price with blu-ray on windows. Given apple laptops are a premium product, but if I am paying a premium price I atleast want a laptop with the latest tech in it. Why is APPLE always last when it comes to such things??? Not to mention that when they do finally catch up, people treat it like it is the best thing ever.
    I mean look at forward for the iphone, c'mon. Yet when they announced it people were so overjoyed when in reality they should have stood up and yelled
    "About Time You Added Something Even MY Black And White Nokia From 10 Years Ago Could Do":rolleyes:

arggh random rant, they just get me so upset when i see the way they market their macbooks

Ok let the flaming begin lol :p

2. mrplough thread starter macrumors member

I know that is what pisses me off the most
    Hey lets back up a format we have no intentions of using ... idiots

3. RKpro macrumors 6502

the mbp already gets pretty toasty with the 9600 because of it's thin and light form factor. Other notebooks with the same or better graphics are twice as thick and much heavier.

4. mrplough thread starter macrumors member

oh fine graphics is doable, im not much for gaming on pc so fine, but no bluray cmon, u cannot do that when your on the bluray committee lol

5. bugout macrumors 6502a

6. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i'm still using an x1600 so i'd be pretty happy to have a 9600m! but i would like to see bluray before i buy another mbp, if only because 90% of my movie watching is on my laptop, altho i dunno how much of a difference it'd make on such a small screen.

7. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I say BS. Apple products are more expensive, but I have NEVER seen an apple product that is half as good as it's PC counterpart be twice as expensive.

8. nufanec macrumors regular

Problem is that there aren't any 9.5mm slot loading SATA BR drives at the moment (that I can find at any rate), and even if there were, they would make it uneconomical. Yes, you can get a blue ray drive in brick sized "laptops" running Windows, but the reason I got my MacBook Pro is that I want to be able to take it with me. It is slim and light and no bother to cart around with me. Try saying that about most Windows "laptops" with the specs you apparently need. :rolleyes:

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I'm just wondering if you created this thread just to get a spark out of people only to end up calling them a fanboy for defending Apple for not putting Blu-Ray in their machines? In regards to your statement which I highlighted, why not get the Windows machine? You said you can get way better with Blu-Ray for half the price of a Mac so why not get it rather than come here with a pissy attitude?
    Also, if you think Macs are way overpriced what the heck do you think they will cost with Blu-Ray player in them? This is one of the reasons I could care less if they never put in Blu-Ray, it would only make the Macs even more expensive. Again, get the Windows machine dude since what you are interested in is available for half the cost of a Macintosh. :p

10. goMac macrumors 603

Actually, I had a few discussions with some Apple employees who were in the know about this...

Apple was neutral. They were actually participating in both groups, it's just that Sony gave them a seat on the board for Bluray. Apple had interest in HD-DVD actually because up until recently Bluray did not let consumers burn their own content to play in a Bluray player, whereas HD-DVD did. HD-DVD would even let you burn to a normal DVD, which would have meant Apple could have added HD-DVD burning support to all their current machines.

11. Sn0wball macrumors regular

Macbook Pro 17":-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MacBook Pro specifcations:

* 17" LCD High Resolution AntiGlare
    * Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz CPU
    * 4GB RAM
    * nVidia 512MB 9600M
    * 320GB (5400RPM)
    * 8x DVD-/+RW Superdrive

= £1,983.99 ($2,901 USD)

Sony Vaio FW35V (or FW390 for the USA):-

[​IMG]

Sony Vaio FW35V specifications:

* 16.4" 1920x1080 XBrite FullHD LCD + eye-cam
    * Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz CPU
    * 4GB RAM
    * ATI Radeon 512MB HD3650
    * 320GB (5400RPM)
    * 8x DVD-/+RW Superdrive

= £892 ($1305 USD)

The MacBook Pro's RAM is a touch faster, it has a slightly higher spec graphics card, and a considerably better battery, but that's still over £1000 ($1500 USD) difference between the two. The rest of the specs are identical.

Admittedly the Sony isn't half the price for twice the specifications, but it is half the price for similar specifications.

12. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

On the surface, that comparison looks alright, but then you run into:

1) MBP has dual GPUs, and a 9600GT is way better than a seriously old 3650.
    2) The Sony is significantly fatter, made of plastic and less designed.
    3) The MBP has multi-touch trackpad, OS X and is actually designed by somebody with eyes.

Plus, the point was that you could get BD for that price. That machine has a DVD drive. BD usually adds a fair chunk onto the price as an additional option, and generally runs like ass due to Vista (Win7 should be better) and all the additional crap Sony shove on their VAIOs.

13. Aron Peterson macrumors member

Aron Peterson

Physical optical media is still the best choice for reliable back ups. Blu-ray is something I really want for that reason.

I would also like a Nehalem chip and at least a Geforce 130 GT. So I have to wait a while.

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You've failed to mention (unless you never seen it) that the Sony FW's screen is horrible. So funny how they would put Blu-ray in it with a bad screen. The screen washes out when you tilt it forward, sorta like the older aluminum Macbooks. The plastic casing is also quite cheap. You cannot compare this to Macbook Pro. Especially for Sony, when Sony makes something at a medium to lower cost it's always junk. If you don't get an expensive Sony it WILL be junk.

15. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

have you forgotten about the macbook pro's stunning 1080p display

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't think they did.

17. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Which looks like total junk watching standard definition 720x480 resolution video.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

One runs Windows... the other runs OSX
    Since neither of those have Blue Ray, that solves the issue for me

Blue Ray is not a deal breaker for me
    If I want to watch Blue Ray, I will get a player for my TV, not something for my laptop

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

19. Aron Peterson macrumors member

Aron Peterson

The Sony FW has a very washed out budget screen. The AW series is much better especially the top model which is an excellent but expensive machine.

20. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Even at the hubs, cable internet just did break like 15mb-sec, in the last few years. Though, now it is capable of a much faster(hundreds). But thats not even available, thats company use only. But most of the country does not have full fiber systems to support super fast internet. Apparently the only thing faster than cable internet is the uber expensive and uber advanced satellite internet. But not the kind that avg. joe can get. So im thinking, until you can load a 40 gb movie from the internet in less than an hour......physical will be around for a while.

21. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

1) Yes, but... the 3650 is much better then the 9400m, and if you're looking for decent graphics AND battery life, the sony is the way to go.
    2) Some people prefer plastic. I know I'd rather a computer that can withstand a fall
    3) You've obviously never seen Windows 7.

What it comes down it is that people want to use OS X on different hardware. Personally, I'd suggest a ThinkPad, and hackintosh it. That's the only way to get the best of both worlds.

22. fatcat23 macrumors member

Why don't you get an external bd rom, I just got one for $120 plus a nice usb case for $60. Then use Bootcamp and if you want copy the bd to your mac side. Here is a process similar to what I do on my macbook for coping bd's, the whole process takes 2hrs max. http://machdtheater.blogspot.com/2009/03/blu-ray-ripping-tutorial.html

You can play the blu ray without anydvd hd with no hdcp problems, and use a minidisplay port to hdmi to your tv and again no problems with hdcp.

23. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

If you want 1080p, yes.

Apple HD rentals/purchases are only 720p