All I want is for my new iPhone to have everything from my old iPhone

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
But it didnt seem to copy any music, photos, or apps (contacts and texts are all there)

When I plug in my old iPhone and go to the sync tabs and try to check "apps" or "music" all it does is threaten to delete what is on my (old) iPhone and replace it with whatever is stored in iTunes.

How do I get around this?

Nick16

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
FL
Are your applications and music in your iTunes library? If so, when you plugin the new iPhone it should ask if you want to restore from backup or replace its contents with what's in your iTunes library.

I personally was never able to get my photos from my camera roll to copy over when I changed iPhones.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Camera roll you have to download to iPhoto and sync from there. Camera roll doesn't backup in iTunes.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
I would sync them back to iTunes, but when I plug in my old iPhone and try to do it, it just tells me it's going to delete what is on my iPhone and replace it with what iTunes has.

Nick16

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
FL
Camera roll you have to download to iPhoto and sync from there. Camera roll doesn't backup in iTunes.
At the time I switched iPhones, I only had a PC, not a Mac, and therefore didn't have iPhoto so couldn't do that. I didn't know you could sync into a phone's camera roll though... I always thought it contained only pictures/screenshots taken/saved from the device itself.

dotme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I have to disagree. I backed up my iPhone4, connected my new 4S, restored from backup, and *everything* was put on my new phone (all my apps, photos from my camera roll, texts, contacts... everything)

@OP - Are you saying you not only switched phones, but went from a PC to a Mac as well? If so, step one is to move your iTunes content from the PC to the Mac. No clue how you do that, but I believe that might be the issue you're running into. And make sure the Mac is authorized with your AppleID. Hope this helps...

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I have to disagree. I backed up my iPhone4, connected my new 4S, restored from backup, and *everything* was put on my new phone (all my apps, photos from my camera roll, texts, contacts... everything)

@OP - Are you saying you not only switched phones, but went from a PC to a Mac as well? If so, step one is to move your iTunes content from the PC to the Mac. No clue how you do that, but I believe that might be the issue you're running into. And make sure the Mac is authorized with your AppleID. Hope this helps...

I just got a iPhone 4s, plugged it in and EVERYTHING from my old iPhone downloaded, including Camera Roll.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I would sync them back to iTunes, but when I plug in my old iPhone and try to do it, it just tells me it's going to delete what is on my iPhone and replace it with what iTunes has.
iTunes will display those messages when it thinks you're trying to sync an iPhone that was setup on a different iTunes library. If that's the case, you'll need to use some other methods to get the music and apps from your old iPhone to the iTunes library on the computer that you're trying to sync with, which will then put them on your new iPhone.

That used to be case, but a lot more is included in the iTunes backup now:

iTunes will back up the following information:

Contacts* and Contact Favorites (regularly sync contacts to a computer or cloud service such as iCloud to back them up).
App Store Application data including in-app purchases (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).
Application settings, preferences, and data, including documents.
Autofill for webpages.
CalDAV and subscribed calendar accounts.
Calendar accounts.
Calendar events.
Call history.
Camera Roll (Photos, screenshots, images saved, and videos taken. Videos greater than 2 GB are backed up with iOS 4.0 and later.)
Note: For devices without a camera, Camera Roll is called Saved Photos.
Game Center account.
Home screen arrangement.
In-app purchases.
Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. If you encrypt the backup with iOS 4 and later, you can transfer the keychain information to the new device. With an unencrypted backup, you can restore the keychain only to the same iOS device. If you are restoring to a new device with an unencrypted backup, you will need to enter these passwords again.)
List of External Sync Sources (Mobile Me, Exchange ActiveSync).
Location service preferences for apps and websites you have allowed to use your location.
Mail accounts (mail messages are not backed up).
Managed Configurations/Profiles. When restoring a backup to a different device, all settings related to the configuration profiles will not be restored (accounts, restrictions, or anything else that can be specified through a configuration profile). Note that accounts and settings that are not associated with a configuration profile will still be restored.
Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps.
Microsoft Exchange account configurations.
Network settings (saved Wi-Fi hotspots, VPN settings, network preferences).
Nike + iPod saved workouts and settings.
Notes.
Offline web application cache/database.
Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup).
Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, offline data, and currently open pages.
Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections).
SMS and MMS (pictures and video) messages.
Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified.
Voice memos.
Voicemail token. (This is not the voicemail password, but is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card).
Wallpapers.
Web clips.
YouTube bookmarks and history.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946