All I want is for my new iPhone to have everything from my old iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ravich, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

But it didnt seem to copy any music, photos, or apps (contacts and texts are all there)

When I plug in my old iPhone and go to the sync tabs and try to check "apps" or "music" all it does is threaten to delete what is on my (old) iPhone and replace it with whatever is stored in iTunes.

How do I get around this?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Did you do a backup of the old one, then restore the new one from it?

3. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but it doesnt end up with any of the music or apps or photos.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You gotta sync those back using itunes.
    Those are not stored in the backup file.

5. Nick16 macrumors regular

Are your applications and music in your iTunes library? If so, when you plugin the new iPhone it should ask if you want to restore from backup or replace its contents with what's in your iTunes library.

I personally was never able to get my photos from my camera roll to copy over when I changed iPhones.

6. maliu macrumors 6502a

Camera roll you have to download to iPhoto and sync from there. Camera roll doesn't backup in iTunes.

7. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would sync them back to iTunes, but when I plug in my old iPhone and try to do it, it just tells me it's going to delete what is on my iPhone and replace it with what iTunes has.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If the same stuff are there then let it do it.
    If its a new different library then it will delete and replace what's there.

9. Nick16 macrumors regular

At the time I switched iPhones, I only had a PC, not a Mac, and therefore didn't have iPhoto so couldn't do that. I didn't know you could sync into a phone's camera roll though... I always thought it contained only pictures/screenshots taken/saved from the device itself.

10. dotme macrumors 6502a

I have to disagree. I backed up my iPhone4, connected my new 4S, restored from backup, and *everything* was put on my new phone (all my apps, photos from my camera roll, texts, contacts... everything)

@OP - Are you saying you not only switched phones, but went from a PC to a Mac as well? If so, step one is to move your iTunes content from the PC to the Mac. No clue how you do that, but I believe that might be the issue you're running into. And make sure the Mac is authorized with your AppleID. Hope this helps...

11. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I just got a iPhone 4s, plugged it in and EVERYTHING from my old iPhone downloaded, including Camera Roll.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

iTunes will display those messages when it thinks you're trying to sync an iPhone that was setup on a different iTunes library. If that's the case, you'll need to use some other methods to get the music and apps from your old iPhone to the iTunes library on the computer that you're trying to sync with, which will then put them on your new iPhone.

That used to be case, but a lot more is included in the iTunes backup now:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946