All I want to do is play a video on my itouch...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by morgothaod, Jun 1, 2010.

1. morgothaod macrumors regular

I'm able to get my video in the "movies" part of itunes but I'm unable to get it on my itouch. I've tried to sync .mp4, .m4v, and .mov extensions and none of them work. May someone help me out?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

We need more information before we can help. I am guessing the video is not iTunes purchased content, but how did you convert it? What computer system are you running, OSX, Windows? You are using the Videos app on the iPod touch?

Here's what you can try in the meantime: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1211

It has a sample file for you to download an try converting and syncing to your iPod. If the sample file works but yours did not you need to backtrace the source of the file and find out how to properly convert it.

3. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

The sample file doesn't sync to my ipod. It plays in itunes though (like the other files).

The video I downloaded isn't from itunes. It was a .wmv and I converted it to .mov by opening it in Flip4Mac and saving it as .mov. For the .m4v conversion, I used Flip4Mac too. I also have a .mp4 which doesn't sync as well. I used a website to convert a youtube to .mp4.

I have Mac OS X (and Windows 7 on bootcamp), a Macbook Pro, and I am able to get the video to appear in itunes "movies." I don't know what you mean by video apps. I would like to click the video button on my itouch and view the video, but it says I have no videos.

4. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

I figured it out. After I had the video in "movies," I clicked on my itouch and then went to sync. I didn't realize that after clicking my itouch, there is a "movie" tab. I clicked that, clicked the check box next to my movie, hit sync, and it added it.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Glad it worked out in the end. I was gonna repost to clarify that I was asking if you were using the Videos app on your iPod touch to playback the video and not iTunes or another app you downloaded from the App Store. About the sample file not syncing, as the article indicates you must convert it to a compatible version from the Advanced menu in iTunes before you try syncing the converted file.