All iMac's LG so image retention possible on both 21" and 27"?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Acorn, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

Most of the image retention and burn in seem to reference the 27 inch. Does the 21 suffer from it as well. they both are lg screens so it seems possible regardless what size you get. I just havent seen many 21 inch image retention complaints.

2. Irishman macrumors 68030

Any LCD screen is susceptible to IR if you mistreat it.

MOST IR is temporary, though.

Burn in is permanent.

3. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

what do you mean if you mistreat it. most people who have image retention just got it and havent even had time to mistreat it.

4. bill phillips macrumors regular

thankyou so much for this comment... im so sick and tired of hearing these guys on here bragging that they got one without ir, NEWSFLASH EVERYBODY... ALL OF THEM HAVE IT IF YOU PUSH THE LIMIT WITH THEM PERIOD!!!

----------

i dont think he meant actually abuse it, i think he just meant if you have images up for a certain length of time youll start to see it...thats been my experience anyway, i barely ever see anything, but if you leave something up long enough itll appear and it goes away a few minutes later, dont be like the rest of these retards who keep exchanging macs thinking they found the one holy grail imac that doesn't do it....THEY ALLLLLLLLL DOOOOO ITTTTTTT

5. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

6. bill phillips macrumors regular

your confusing ir with burn, no not all macs suffer burn, but if you push the limit with it, sooner or later youll notice ir, theres alot of variables that goes into it, its not just boiled down to one test, for example...the temperature of your computer at the time of the test has an impact on ir or no ir etc

7. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

would 6 hours count as abuse? I've got not a single bit of ghosting. and I know what to look for. I had it bad on my 2008 iMac.

that's not to say my 2012 won't develop it. but at this point not a single example of it from a screen that can sit still for very long periods of time due to the use of certain programs for work.

so please refrain from saying everybody has it. I don't... yet. I may get it. I may not. if I do. I will then call AppleCare. it sucks to get a new computer with it. I would return it.

8. bill phillips macrumors regular

iv left mine on for two days straight while turning the screen sleep off to see what it would do and i got no ir, a week later while running multiple applications and fcpx for a few hours i got it...thats all im trying to say, some people leave an image up for ten minutes on a dead cold mac with no apps runninng and come on here bragging how their imac is the only one on the planet with no ir...its annoying. and just because you had it bad on another mac doesnt mean you cant have it to a much lesser almost unnoticeable extent on this one..

9. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

why would you do this 2day test??? that's crazy.

as for my old bad machine. of course it doesn't mean I can't have a much milder case on my new kit. I never said that.

as for my new kit having an almost unnoticeable extent. well I guess without you being able to see it in person you'll just have to take my word on it.

I ain't got it... yet. who knows when or if.

10. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

I don't see how Im confusing the 2 . the same member claims he keeps his machine running on a constant basis and no IR .

11. Irishman macrumors 68030

But, hang on, don't take that as a blanket excuse for any IR present in TV's or monitors, because it's not.

It seems that in the case of the rMBP, Apple is sourcing panels from either Samsung or LG. It seems to be only the LG panels that are having what Apple has admitted in their knowledge base is excessive image retention. That said, it seems like from a public perception standpoint, Apple doesn't want to make a big deal out of this, because then they run the real risk of having people see IR everywhere, even when it's not there. So, Apple is handling it quietly at the moment.

Time will tell if they're able to exert their legendary vendor influence over LG to get their quality control acceptable. Tim Cook has probably already gotten some people at LG fired over this.

12. bill phillips macrumors regular

no absoloutely not, i had a rmbp i brought back for this very reason...had ir and an lg panel, so your definately right

----------

idk man, maybe some people have it to a more or less extent, but i firmly believe that any of them if everything falls into place, will display some form of ir at one point or another...and again its not a big deal anyway imho, as long as its not burn, thats different

----------

i know thats dumb, but i got that apple care and i was looking for anyreason to bring it back and exchange it for one that "didn't" have it, until i reallized ten of my guys from work all have it to one extent or another on theirs so i just said screw it, i barely ever notice anything, its not bothering me, i believe their all gonna have it somewhat so why bother...but again thats just my opinion