All in favor for a Mac Pro case redesign or not... IT'S TIME TO VOTE

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ildondeigiocchi, Nov 5, 2009.

?

Do you think the Mac Pro case should be redesigned for the next update

1. Yes, even though it looks good it's starting to look outdated

51 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No, it's perfect the way it is.

112 vote(s)
    68.7%
  1. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

As I'm contemplating about whether or not I'll be buying a new Mac Pro in 2010, I think it will mainly come down to how significant a performance increase there will be and whether or not apple designs a new Mac Pro case which will make my jaw drop. I love the case the way it is size and all.... but if Apple does something amazing ...:D So how many of you guys are in favor of a Mac Pro case redesign. :D

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

It should offer more HDD space along with SSD mounts and since the inside of the case cannot do so at the moment then Apple will have to redesign it. Also needs more pci power connectors so people can finally run multiple power hungry graphics cards without having to reroute power from the ODD's. Don't get me wrong it's really great but a 5 year old design should be changed at the next Mac Pro update.... :rolleyes: Just my 0.02$

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Well I hope that the basic external design of the case doesn't change (at least not any time soon) because I really like the look of it.

5. stuarthatto macrumors regular

Who says it's time to vote? You?

If you are basing your buying decision on the looks of the case you need to rethink a little. The case has no bearing on the speed of the computer.

Another stupid, specious thread merely designed around your need for people to hear your opinion.

So here's a tip - if you feel so strongly that the MacPro case needs redesigning in 2010 - go and tell Apple using their feedback forms - they wont listen to any ridiculous poll you start here.

6. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Personally, I believe your a bit a harsh and should really think before you talk since this is not the only thread on the mac pro design... aka the on the Mac pro case being too big. I like the basic design of it... but inside there are components which must be added for it to keep up with the competition who offer much more HDD space. That's just my opinion and if you don't want to hear it then don't subscribe to the thread. The whole point of this thread is for people to express their opinion... I don't see what's wrong with that:confused:

7. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Same here. I'm yet to see a more professional looking, yet functional tower. The internals can always be rejigged, but the outside is close to perfect.

8. belvdr macrumors 603

Personally, I think there's too much aluminum color. But, I'll never own one, so I don't care.

9. IronFixXxeR macrumors member

IronFixXxeR

I love the Mac Pro case design. The only thing I see from all these kind of posts is the lack of HDD space. Double the HDD space and all would be grand IMO.

10. Trev311 macrumors member

I voted yes... The case should get... BIGGER. I really don't understand those asking for the case to become smaller. That is the exact opposite as to what I would prefer. How about a second row of HDDs? And a couple more PCI-E slots and power connectors to add multiple power hungry cards. Leave the cheese grater look alone, unless a different size hole will allow for better airflow/noise reduction. Oh, it should get wider too and have room for 12 DIMMS of DDR3 RAM, so that triple channel can actually be taken advantage of.

Also, I know it seems as if everyone wants an xMac, but just ask for that, not for the Mac Pro to get smaller...

11. mfka macrumors regular

mfka

Question is not good so i cant vote.

If you ask me do i want a new Apple’s design whether it will be changed
    inside or outside of the case. Than i would vote yes, yes for better cooling,
    reorganizing stuff to boost performance, etc.
    If that is the case it is not important wether or not that will affect the way
    how MP would look like from outside.

I’m one of the ppl who believes that esthetics come out from a function. ;)

12. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Totally agree with all your points. I don't see how anyone can say it is perfect when because of the case size the system has limited features. Sadly I expect them to keep it the same year on year.

13. stuarthatto macrumors regular

ildondeigiocchi - I don't think I am being harsh at all - your poll talks about the looks, you talk about the looks and how if they become jaw-dropping you will buy - and THEN when questioned you suggested that perhaps some more real estate INSIDE the case would be a good thing.

So, is this a poll about the looks or the internal case design? And whether I am harsh or not, Apple wont give a monkeys armpit for your poll or the opinions here.

I stick by the fact its another useless, meaningless thread, similar in weight and importance to all the SL is faster, no it isn't drivel.

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Let me get this straight, you HAVE a 2009 Mac Pro, Intel 2.66GHZ Octocore, and you are considering buying a 2010 based on:

1) Specs (I can respect that but WTF do you do that you need a new Mac Pro every year)
    2) Looks?????!!!!?? Just WTF!

You apparently have more money than sense!

15. belvdr macrumors 603

I think s/he is talking about a total redesign inside and out.

If the thread is useless and meaningless to you, then bypass it. Others may find it an enjoyable topic. It's a simple concept.

16. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I'm just amazed that someone who thinks this thread is stupid and a waste of time takes the time to post twice!
    I would like to see it accomodate a blu-Ray drive as I really need it. Also room for a few more hdds would be good. Like the look if it though

17. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

Make the damn thing smaller and a bit lighter.

18. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I think the present design is amazing and should only be tweaked as required (to handle different port configurations, etc.). I've got a 2008 model and have no complaints whatsoever.

However, I would be in favor of Apple offering a smaller tower with less expandability than the MacPro and a lower price. There really should be something between the MacMini and the MacPro that isn't a laptop or an all-in-one.

19. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I hope you didn't spend the whole afternoon figuring out what to write in the poll with the massive 2 ways to vote...

It's quite silly heh.

Personally I think the design is good but perfect is first obtained once there is not a single thing you want to change. So there it is, nothing is perfect.

20. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I can see small changes being made to the exterior, but I hope it's nothing drastic. It's as simple and perfect as you can get. Internally I don't care as long as it gets better and not worse. More drives would be great. At least an additional bay for one or two SDDs.

21. bocomo macrumors 6502

no way

it's pro machine, don't compromise anything

22. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

One strong argument in favor of the existing case, is that it ensures strong resale values on previous Mac Pro's. If, when they update the case, all previous Mac Pro's will look instantly dated and resale values will likely drop off significantly.

23. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

I want a redesign, so the older ones can stop being sold for so much mofo-ing money.:eek:
    /honesty

24. aibo macrumors 6502

25. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Keep it the way it is.

If you do have to change it, make it 10-20% bigger (room for more hard drives) and make the logo black. Nothing else.