All jokes/bickering aside...IOS needs an update, not the iphone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jesusrobles115, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Jesusrobles115 macrumors newbie

I search through these forums each day, and all I see is fight, after fight, after fight regarding a new iphone. I firmly believe the HARDWARE is great for another generation, however, IOS 5 is the issue. IOS 6 HAS to be a game changer. If it is another so called "evolutionary" update, then we are going to have a problem. This is not a fan boy thing... I think even the average consumer is starting to get it. Apple does have the whole "eco system" thing down, but boy they sure as s*** need to update that IOS. The phone it's self is great. Sleek, beautiful, heavy, and sexy. The ISO still sleek, beautiful and sexy, but it does need to mature. This is a rant, and I know thousands of these have gone up, but I feel that US as the consumers should have some sort of forum to express our less than high satisfaction regarding the same old thing. I'm not switching my iphone, because I am EXTREMELY invested in the eco-system, and I do love the iphone design, it's just that I want a new, revolutionary IOS, not the same ISO with a few bells and whistles.

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I agree to a point

I was very happy when I got to step away from stock IOS when the 4s jailbreak came out.

3. taedouni macrumors 65816

Well what exactly would you want changed?

I think that iOS is fine the way it is and sales prove that. If anything the iPhone needs hardware upgrade such as LTE...

4. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I've always said this too. I'm not terribly concerned with the hardware side of the next generation iPhone. The thing I'm most curious about is the screen size, but besides that, I'm sure Jon Ivy and team will deliver another solid redesign.

The more important thing is what iOS 6 will bring. Many things sorely need updating: the keyboard, Safari, Mail, better multitasking, notifications, Siri graduating from Beta, etc.

Likewise, adding a dedicated voice navigation system, widgets and/or live icons or tiles, easier toggles would be nice, especially if it'll be an LTE device (3G/4G toggle, WiFi toggle), sound profiles, there could be many more things.

EDIT: Also would be nice if iOS stopped forcing us to watch the download animation every time we select an app to download from the App store. It's as if Apple thinks people shop one app at a time each and every time.

----------

: brain explodes :

5. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

6. Tones2 macrumors 65816

The iPhone needs a larger screen (at LEAST 4") and 4G LTE. So yes, it does need a hardware update next round if just for those two things. Otherwise it falls WAY behind the competition. But iOS 5 needs an overhaul as well. Both will happen in 2012, I hope.

Tony

7. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

agree with all of the above. It would be nice if Apple implemented a useful lock screen, like widgets etc.

8. AndroidTriumph macrumors newbie

My iPhone already has 4G.

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

When has Apple ever "refreshed" or redid any of their main OSes in the past decade?

Going from Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.7 (in the course of 9+ years), it's been an evolutionary change from upgrade to upgrade. For example, the first OS X release had pinstripes in the UI - they gradually phased it out over 4 major releases. Same thing with lots of other changes. They come gradually.

It's not like they are RIM and need to come up with some drastic changes. iOS didn't happen overnight - it's something they planned (and thought out every detail) & have a solid roadmap for years to come.

I'm not saying I wouldn't find some major changes to iOS, but Apple isn't a company to do so.

10. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

i still can't comprehend people's need/want to have a lock screen that can do all this stuff for them. isn't the purpose of a lock screen is that your phone is locked and especially if there's a pass code that its the only way people can't mess with your phone?

The functionality they gave us is great, being able to go into a specific app if we get a notification instead of unlocking then closing whatever was up then going to that application.

However I've seen people wanting to completely update Facebook statues or twitter or write emails in the lock screen.

Whats the point of apps or even having a lock screen at that point?

Now i wouldn't mind like a weather bar on the lock screen or the ability to see purely informational things like that (not sure what else could be done without getting too much clutter on the lock screen) but that's about as far as i would go.

11. Catdogchicken macrumors regular

LTE isn't widespread (I'm talking worldwide here not USA) enough to be considered a groundbreaking feature.

12. cPol macrumors member

cPol

Jokes and bickering are what separate us from animals, sir.

13. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I agree with the hardware vs software thing, but iOS should not be completely redesigned, and Apple won't do that, just look at OS X.

They nailed the UI, with both OS X and iOS, they are not going to be changing it much for quite a while and there will only be gradual, evolutionary updates that bring new features and functionality.

And what's wrong with that? Nothing!

IMO, they didn't have time to work on iOS 5 because of the iCloud, which was a substantial project, while it has lots of new features, they are not very "apparent".

iOS 6 should definitely bring in more features. More tangible things like like icons, they don't even have to be widgets of various sizes and shapes, just live animated iOS icons that developers can customize.

They really need to bring their own GPS navigation solution, all the other platforms have it, Android has it, Windows Phone has it, Apple is the only one that does not.

They should integrate Spotlight search into notification center - put it on top(above stocks).

Introduce multitasking gestures like the Zephyr tweak.

New multitasking APIs.

They need to do a lot! But nothing radical is required.

14. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

Here we go with the whole screen crap argument.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Yes, iOS is geting a little stale. The 4S was just a warm over of the 4 in hardware and OS.

Not sure what Apple could do new as they are pretty well maxing what they got after seeing the 4S!

It will take more than LTE to breath life in the iPhone 5

16. Tones2 macrumors 65816

It your phone already has 4G LTE (which is what I said) then it's not an iPhone. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh wait, I just notices your forum name.

Tony

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't know anyone asking to update statuses / send emails from the lockscreen, but there is a market for more functionality ... look at Intelliscreen and LockInfo in Cydia.

I like the way WP7 does the lock screen. It shows my next appointment (as long as it is today or tomorrow) and then a number next to a small icon for new emails / texts.

18. Mortalias macrumors 6502

Mortalias

You nailed it my friend.

The next iPhone is nothing without significant iOS changes. Let me play the Tim Russert of technology:

Software, software, software.

19. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

right i was referring to intelliscreen. I thought i had seen a video where someone was doing all of what i said in the lock screen, guess not haha :p

I just think there is too much functionality with intelliscreen to say that the phone is "locked"

I think the update that iOS had is nice with the notifications in the lock screen to view more than 1 and all that jazz. To be honest though, i think notifications should be persistent until you view them in the lock screen. I do not like that once you unlock your phone it all goes away, i would like to continue to see notifications in my lock screen if they are still there and i have not accessed the app yet.

Also yes i would love to have a weather bar of some kind in lock screen but that's about it.

20. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I don't think it needs to be a huge overhaul, but I would like to see some changes.

I'd like to be able to change default apps. I use Sparrow as my email client, Camera+ as my main camera, and Dolphin as my main browser. I know Apple is biiiig on their native apps, but I'd like to be able to go straight to Camera+ from my lock screen, any email functions to be done from Sparrow, and any time I open a link outside of an app for it to go to Dolphin. Same goes for default GPS.

I like the idea of live icons. Not a big widget fan to be honest.

More use of the Notification Center (I like Virtuviux's ideas). Toggles (YES), download progresses, etc. I don't need to go back to the homescreen every time I download/update an app.

I also don't like the look of the Notification Center. From Siri and folders, it seems like the linen is "underneath" the homescreen, and yet the Notification Center's linen goes on top? I like the designs I have seen from jb'd devices.

Multi-Touch gestures. I understand some people tend to use their iPhone/iPod in one hand (i.e., one thumb navigation), but I use both hands plenty of times. I really like the iPad's multi-touch/multi-tasking navigation. Like the four-finger swipe left and right to switch between apps makes so much sense for the frequent user. Over time, those gestures just seem so intuitive, I wish the iPhone had them.

I may be missing something, but I thought all games were supposed to save progress info in iCloud. It sucks that I can't remove a game from my iPhone because I'd lose all my game save info. Please make game saves-to-iCloud standard.

Makes Newsstand optional (like iBooks). C'mon.

For reminders, I wished you didn't need to have EVERY address you want a reminder for to be in your contact list for location-based reminders to work. It makes sense for people's homes, but for businesses or establishments, easier set-up would be nice. As it is, you either use your current location OR a specific address from your contacts. For example, I went to a conference last week at a convention center. I go there, maybe, once every two years and I pretty much have no reason to have this place as a "contact". Kind of like Yelp, if I type in "Convention Center, Los Angeles, CA", show me a list of convention centers and I select the one I want the location-based reminder for.

On the other hand, if I do have specific addresses in my contact list, I want to be able to make location-based reminders from my contact list!

Anyway, I'm sure there's more, but those are really little things I would like addressed in the next iOS update.

21. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That's entirely up to the app developers, not Apple.

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I find it interesting that the OP describes his post as a rant, and calls out the iOS as needing to be new and revolutionary... without even one example of a change they want/need :confused:

Is this the age old "I can't tell you what I want but I will know it when I see it" argument?

23. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Actually, I will concede one hardware-related aspect I'd love to see Apple do: notification light. It's a lovely feature to have, and one that might be worth implementing to help cement iPhone in the corporate/business world.

24. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Cosign.

They could pull a iPad 3 and put a A5x with updated graphics, but who cares if it still has a 3.5 inch screen? I'm good with the 3.5 BTW since I have an iPad, but the hipster generation want their BIG SCREEN and I ain't mad at them.

If I get the next iPhone the OS needs to be stunt-tastic. LTE is cool but without a bigger screen, unlimited data and tethering to really enjoy the speed it won't be a main selling point, and best believe battery life will be the major topic again.

Hook up the OS with a little more freedom and make the notification center more usefull.

25. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How does the whole 'I want to see notification X on the lock screen' work? Especially if you're using a passcode? :confused:

As far as widgets, how is the battery life? Before I had an iPhone I had HTC and the battery routinely died within a couple hours. I was told widgets were the problem. I'd love to have simple widgets for weather, facebook, twitter feed, etc. but not at the expense of battery life. How do they work on current Android phones?

One thing I'd love is the ability to wirelessly display anything off my iPad to my HTDV. Using airplay for videos and stuff is awesome. Would be great for anything you do on the iPad.