all music and video 'disappeared' from iphone. now have 4.3gb "other" file

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by deadsouls, Feb 1, 2009.

1. deadsouls macrumors regular

so this piece of junk iphone has once again messed up somehow.

i have an iphone 3g running 2.2 jb fw and windows xp. plugged the iphone into my computer as per usual to find out that for some random reason itunes doesn't recognize my iphone. so i unplug it and plug it back in. my iphone pops up.

except i tried browsing the music/video on the iphone and it now it contains absolutely NOTHING. i check the capacity bar at the bottom of the itunes windows and it says i somehow have a 4.3 gb "other" section so thats obviously where all my music/video have suddenly disappeared to. i'm sure somehow the itunes database on the phone got corrupt somehow. if apple didnt have such idiotic paranoid rules and just let the iphone work as a hard drive like any other media player i highly doubt this would have happend.

i tried searching but i cant exactly pinpoint what search terms to even use for this issue.

any advice would be appreciated. i'd rather not restore or whatever as i manually sync music/video so i cant just automatically sync and get everything back the way its supposed to.

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

The easiest thing to do is restore IMO.
    Set up as "New Phone" and re-sync your iTunes playlist.

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

"Sync" it as if you were going to take off all the music and video (know how to do that?), then manually put the music and videos back on.
    A restore would also fix this, but that's a pain.

4. deadsouls thread starter macrumors regular

i tried the 'sync' to clear off all music and video but since itunes thinks its already cleared it didnt do anything.

definitely not doing a restore as thats a huge PITA.

heres how i fixed it: decided to ssh into the iphone and delete the media within /itunes_control directory which removed all of my mp3/videos that somehow got 'misplaced' in the idiotic itunes database and now my 'other' capacity has shrunk down considerably.

5. dentoneagle112 macrumors newbie

specifics?

Can I ask you exactly what you did? I have the same problem, and if you could give specifics that would be great.

6. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

I would just restore, there are odd bugs like this that happen once in a blue moon

7. iGaryMonnecka macrumors member

how can you really blame something like this, almost instantly, on apple's device, when YOU jailbroke it, thus changing the software. This si obviously a software issue, so i don't see what you're complaining about. Don't jailbreak next time.;)

8. fulldeto macrumors newbie

That's what I did to solve this problem...

This solutions is for PC users, like me...

Steps:

1.- Download [iPhoneBrowser].

2.- Install it (of course)

3.- Open it (of course)

4.- Go to this directory "/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music"

5.- Delete all media files that you find there

6.- Sync your music again

7.- That set...

Hope this helps to somebody...

fulldeto

9. kwyn macrumors regular

That happened to me when I was installing that US MAPS EAST GPS software. The install kept stalling (or I was impatient-that one can take like a 1/2 hour to 40 minutes to install). Anyway, I stopped it 1/2 way through. However, on the failed installation the "not that smart" phone leaves the data there instead of erasing, but doesn't know what it is. I had to reset the phone.

BTW, I have never jailbroke, but when I called Iphone support, they kept suggesting to me that I did! Anyway, the helpful support guy (I mean it. He really tried) told me to totally reset the phone. Obviously, that worked.

10. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

All my iPhone media is missing?

Weird issue, sometime today my iPhone has lost all it's music and media content.

It's now showing that 13gb is used in other.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Attached Files:

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To make that picture, did you just plug it in, or did you actually sync it (is there media on it that isn't on your computer yet?)? If you synced it, did it fix the problem?

Also, FWIW, someone reported this previously apparently, so you're not the only one. Odd. I took the liberty of merging you in -- the posts above may be helpful.

12. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Hi, I just plugged it in to sync but I get this message (I have a playlist that I sync)

I really don't want to restore the phone.

Attached Files:

13. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

This might have happened after I downloaded todays Apple Free Gift from the Xmas Apple App.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You might be stuck with restoring then, as others suggested. It would be good to write Apple about this also, especially if your theory is right, and their app is the culprit.

15. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

A reboot might have fixed this for you. And after that a resync.

17. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Nah I rebooted three times and I still couldn't sync again as there wasn't enough room

18. alxndr macrumors newbie

other itunes solved

you'll never get data back, but can fix the space from the "others" folder.

http://gfmorris.com/2007/07/19/ipho...-shows-as-other/comment-page-4/#comment-11147

Here's the comment from the thread
    Chips-a-hoy:
    I CALLED APPLE AND FIGURED IT OUT.
    What they told me to do was plug your iPhone into your computer so it shows up under the Devices section in iTunes. Then, drag a song from your iTunes library that isn’t already on your iPhone.
    That’s it. I did that and all my songs, artists, playlists, etc… were back and functioning. Hope this process works for you.