All my GB used, How? Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Legion103, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Legion103 macrumors regular

hi everyone, I have an iPhone 5 (on Verizon), have had the iPhone since it debuted in 2007 and never ran into this before...

Some background info, I have ZERO songs on my phone, ZERO...no music on it whatsoever...I have 42 videos, and about 500 photos...here are some screenshots of my phone this morning..

[​IMG]

and the other

[​IMG]

I have only 3 slides on my phone....no music apps, no Pandora, nothing. I have Twitter, InstaGram, ESPN..etc...

Anyone know how to fix this?

2. mrtune macrumors 6502a

How about waiting just a few more seconds for the app usage stuff to pop up before taking a screen shot? A list of all your apps and how much space they waste will pop up. Your camera roll is probably hogging up all the space.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Although you have no music, I'd think 42 videos and 500 photos are taking up your space. I see that took the screenshot while your "storage" was still loading. You should wait for that to load and it will give you a detailed accounting of what is taking up the space.

A 16GB iPhone isn't enough for most people these days IMO.

4. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

You do realize that iPhone 4S and 5 video recording takes up to 200MB/min of storage right? approx 12GB/hour...so your 42videos are killing you right now!

5. Legion103 thread starter macrumors regular

sorry, will post a new image now.

----------

[​IMG]

----------

wow, I didn't know...what do I do with them then?

6. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Upload them to your computer

7. Legion103 thread starter macrumors regular

That would remove them from my phone tho, right?

8. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

what are you doing on your twitter? I'm guessing its saving up some data of pics you have posted?

----------

yes, i would recommend getting dropbox and uploading your photos and videos to it, (You can upload them right from your phone) this way you can have them with you all the time as you can access them via 4G or WiFi

9. Legion103 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I have photos on Twitter..

What is dropbox? It works with Mac?

Do you recommend dropbox or just syncing to my cpu?

I have a MacBook Air.

10. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Videos and photos take up a lot of space, video especially. Transfer them off your phone to your computer hard drive or to an external drive via computer. If they are videos you no longer need or wish to keep delete them altogether. 6.1GB worth of video and photos on a 16GB iPhone is pretty much half the available space being taken up by them.

Next time you upgrade your phone, I would suggest going to at least 32GB.

11. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Ya dropbox will upload them from your iPhone and you can have them automatically appear on your Macbook Air (given its connected to WiFi for long enough periods to transfer).

I use dropbox and have all my life's worth of images from my iphone uploaded to it along with videos. they automatically sync over to my mac as I leave the app running for long enough each time once a week.

12. Legion103 thread starter macrumors regular

13. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

maybe photostream on icloud?

also, do you send a lot of pictures and videos via imessages or SMS? if so, and those conversations are still there, try to delete them. one of my friends freed up 2gb just from that....

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You should probably do some research (google is a good place to start) on backup options and pick the one that works for you.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

All that in the screenshot only adds up to ~8GB so something else is eating your space as well. Still, if you're going to use a smaller capacity device then you're going to have to pay attention to your usage. If you want keep everything and try (no guarantee even with max capacity that you won't use it up) to avoid worrying over it then go for the larger capacity.

16. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

Is it possible that you unknowingly downloaded a TV show you bought on iTunes onto your Phone? I'm not sure that a TV Show would would show up.

17. dave420 macrumors 65816

I had this same issue with a friend's iPhone 5 that they had since launch day. I think there was a bug in iOS 6 and a lot of space just goes completely wasted. I've never understood it, and it is especially annoying as they can't backup to iCloud even after purchasing 10 GB of extra storage.

Their case was even more extreme. Like 10 apps and 30 photos and the phone is full.

18. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Yep -- I think this is the first thing to check into. When you're plugged into iTunes, do you see a large amount (many GBs) of data categorized as "Other" (on the bar at the bottom)? If it's more than 1 - 2 GB, I'd turn your attention there -- it's typically a sign of corrupt data that isn't allowing space to be reallocated.

Re: video space. You could consider shooting in less than 1080p with a 3rd party app. I typically shoot at 720p (with ProCamera) which allows way more video storage. If you like keeping that video on the phone, but don't need it in such high resolution, you could compress it off-board and transfer it back.

19. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Delete twitter and vine and reinstall them. You'll get around 2GB of data back. As for the rest, it must be the "other" data which includes MMS, emails, safari cache, etc

Speaking of that, go to settings -> safari -> clear cookies and data

Depending on how much you browse the Internet on your phone, it might free up a few hundred MB

I recommend backing up your photos and videos onto your computer. I trust local storage over "cloud" storage

20. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

How long as those videos. Remember that a video is basically 30 photos per second. So if you go with a rough usage of 3MB a photo that can add up real fast.

Also when was the last time you powered off your iPhone. Folks often forget to do this from time to time. That seems to be when the 'trash' is emptied among other things.

You post a later shot that shows that twitter has a fat usage, that's probably from cached stuff out of your feed. Seeing as all the info is still on their server, if a shut down and reboot doesn't clear it, try deleting the app and its data and reinstalling.