All of a sudden, politics isn't nearly so interesting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I haven't been posting here much lately...not so much because I've been busy with other things (although I have), but because ever since the election, there's been this nagging sense that...well...a lot of the "fun" has gone out of it.

People have different reasons for posting in the PRSI forum, but you have to admit, for the last eight years, a lot of it, maybe even most of it, has been spurred by whatever the latest outrage was from the Bush administration.

With Obama, even though he's not in office yet, it's just not the same.

Just on his cabinet picks alone, there's this sense of things moving deliberately, thoughtfully, in the direction they need to go. And aside from the occasional word of praise or analysis, there really isn't much to say about that.

Nor do we face any lack of problems to solve -- hell no. But again, so far it feels like these things are going to be finally addressed, after eight (or is that 38?) years of benign neglect.

No, it seems like federally-generated controversies and divisions are going to be actively discouraged, albeit not eliminated altogether.

A part of me (the part that enjoys posting here and lambasting political lamebrains) says, "Don't worry; the congressional Republicans will throw up enough barriers, and the right-wing media will spew enough venom, to give us some controversial subjects." And of course the Obama administration, as intelligent as it is, will stumble into a blunder or two all on its own.

But the better part of my nature hopes that that will happen as little as possible. We'll still have fun with the occasional imbecile like Blago, but I really hope that the next four or eight years will be relatively calm, compared to the last eight, and that we'll finally see things moving in the right direction again. That may not be controversial, it may not be fun to slam in the political forum, but we'll all be the better off for it.

You know, I really didn't intend this to sound like this was some kind of "New Year's wish" on my part, but I guess it is. I wish that you, I, everyone, will find as little as possible to complain about here over the next four years.

Cheers, everyone.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If your wish comes true, I'm afraid it means we aren't looking hard enough. No matter how fabulous Mr O turns out to be, there's several more truckloads of issues to be addressed than he will have time for, even if he actually works at the job, unlike his brush-clearing, pretzel-eating, holiday-mad predecessor.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Are you kidding.

This is like a James Bond movie

Obama is surounded by a 100 foot circle of fire. If he get out all these old fart in the senate and congress will take all the credit and if he burns the same jak@sses will say look what happens when you put one of those in office.

My take is Obama will do many wonderful things but many of the results will not be seen for years to come. I am hoping his views and ideas trickle down and make a stronger country. there is such seperation now any strengthing will be a great start.

I don't follow politics all that much but I am excited to what is to come.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Skunk
    I agree with you. But Mr O needs to start somewhere and however small the progress is it is a start to the rebuiliding needed.

5. MBX macrumors 65816

What are you talking about?

Obama is just another puppet of the establishment, corporate media, AIPAC and the military industrial complex.

If there was a president who truly wanted change he'd be shot. Today we have only two choices in this two party kleptocracy, between a blue and red car with the same engine underneath.

He's already brought back in the Clintons and other people surrounding him suggesting there's not gonna be so much change after all.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Let's hope you are wrong.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I am a firm believer in allowing people a chance to prove themselves. You could at least wait until his inauguration. As for your reference to assassination, let's not count our chickens, eh?

8. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I agree that no-drama Obama will need to expand his "drama-free" powers, turn them up to 11. The fireworks start on Inauguration Day. Everything else is a prelude right now. I hope I'm not wrong, but it really feels like we're in the beginning moments of something extremely historic and amazing. I believe he is exactly the right person at the right time for this office, but everything is hanging on exactly how hollowed out Bush has left us.
    Well said.

~ CB

9. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

This is a bit like saying that without war and natural disasters, the news would just be boring.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I applaud your sense of optimism ThomasVeil, however...

The American dream has turned into the American nightmare for a lot of people.

Ever since the early 90s, I've been convinced that this decade would be one of incredible social change. It started with seeing all the McMansions sprouting like weeds and I couldn't help but draw comparisons to the Golden Age of the 1890s. Whenever wealth is concentrated in the hands of the few, the result can only be social unrest.

I truly believe we've reached that point.

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, bad news is a part of life that we've learned to accept. Sure, we'll comment on those things, but they will always be with us.

What we probably won't have anymore is a president that manages to generate his own catastrophes, like the Katrina (non-)response, the Iraq war, Gitmo, signing statements, the Plame outing, and dozens and dozens more that Dubya created or screwed up during his time.

Sure, we'll write about natural disasters and distant wars, but realistically, without a Villain We Love to Hate in the Oval Office, half of what we love to complain about will be gone. (For a while this year, it was much more than half, what with John McCain and Sarah Palin saying or doing something stupid nearly every single day.)

IMO, nothing in these forums in recent years was as much of a lightning rod as George Bush, Dick Cheney, and the rest of their presidential Rogue's Gallery. Obama, as imperfect as he is, won't even compare.

No, we won't have George Bush to kick around anymore.

It's gonna be like Dallas without J.R. Ewing, or "The Dark Knight" without The Joker. :D

12. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

So, less entertaining but more livable? I'll take that.:D

13. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Ain't gonna happen. You, and I suspect many others in this forum, are feeling pretty happy and aloof right now because things have been going your way politically and you think all is well with Obama and his administration. But I suspect that some who enter PRSI may not be so happy with Obama and the direction that he may take us in. You may be getting bored with PSRI because you have nothing to complain about, but for many here the fun will start on January 21, for there will be a new "George Bush" in town to kick around.

14. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually, he'll be president as of noon Jan. 20. And all is not well. There are issues on which Obama and liberals will disagree, gay marriage being one of the primary ones. But I see no evidence from anything he's said or done in the campaign or since that he will be the incompetent renegade that his predecessor was. There may be some kicking from the left, but I suspect most of it will be the throwing-oneself-on-the-floor-kicking-and-screaming kind from the right.

15. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Give him a chance; he might surprise you.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I couldn't agree more. It's been extremely difficult for a lot of us. I doubt we;ll be bored in here during Obama, but we might be a little happier.

If Obama does a half way better job than Bush, it'll be a huge improvement. All we'll get from the right is a bunch of witch hunts and character assassination for the next four years at least. Lots of tin foil hats will be found in here. It's already started in a few threads.

17. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

I still don't get why people choose to stick up for Bush! I had assumed that his supporters were all gone, but boy! They sure came out of the woodwork in the last election...

Hey lee... I think this is the first time we've agreed on anything.

18. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

Regardless of the political intrigue (or lack thereof) in the US over the next 4 years, I have a good feeling there's going to be plenty abroad. Take a look at the Middle East, or South Asia for example.

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I halfway feel sorry for Obama, although he asked for the job. He's gonna preside over the worst economic debacle since the 1930s, and so far he's espoused the very policies and people who got us into this mess. "Halfway" on account of he just doesn't know any better.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nothing like giving a guy a fair shake, eh? Hasn't even taken the oath of office, and you've already made up your mind, haven't you?

Yeah, Obama's been espousing the virtues of the extreme free market, and deregulation pretty regularly, hasn't he?

I guess we can put you in the category of those who aren't even willing to wait until the oath to pronounce Obama's presidency a failure as well.

There sure seem to be an awful lot of conservatives who are hoping for failure from the president...

21. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Kind of like the fair shake that many here gave Bush, eh? He hadn't even taken office, and they had already made up their mind, didn't they?

I didn't say anything about Obama or Hillary in my post. I merely pointed out that there are posters in this forum who will treat Obama the way that the more left-leaning posters have treated Bush, fairly or not. I suspect that the former group will enjoy playing the antagonist role as opposed to having to defend Bush against his antagonists for the past 8 years in these forum. Like I said, let the fun begin for those so inclined. Yes, I suspect there are many conservatives that would like to see Obama and policies they disagree with fail... A mirror image, perhaps, of those wishing so badly that Bush would fail.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You don't get it, do you? He was an utter historical failure of a President. Criticism was entirely fair. There's very little that the left have been consistently saying that hasn't turned out to be true. I realise that must be galling, acknowledging the utter failure of conservatism.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So you're not giving Obama a fair shake out of a sense of revenge over the perceived unfair shake liberals gave George Bush? Real mature. Not to mention that at one point, Bush's approval ratings were among the highest ever measured. That would seem to indicate that an awful lot of people gave Bush the benefit of the doubt. Yet a few years later, he had among the lowest approval ratings ever measured.

Bush got his fair shake. The question is, will conservatives give Obama his; or will they be petulant children about it, saying things like "kind of like the fair shake that many here gave Bush, eh?"

Lol... Fairly or not, eh? So whether it's fair to criticize Obama or not, you'll do it out of a perceived sense of injustice for the way Bush was treated? Way to put party over country, man. Very mature.

The anger is strong in this one...

24. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Not everyone feels the way that you do about Bush and conservatism. Clinton was also highly criticized and considered as a failure as a president and also in his personal life, though I'm sure you wouldn't consider that fair or necessarily accurate or a hard reflection on liberalism. We'll have to wait a few years to know whether Bush will be considered an historical failure over the longer term.

Regarding your simplistic notion that Bush's failure signals the failure of conservatism, I think you need to realize that conservatism (or liberalism for that matter) isn't adequately represented by the actions and policies of just one man. Mainstream conservatives were upset that Bush strayed fairly far from the conservative agenda.

You are over-reaching here (and apparently over-reacting). I said that there are participants in these forums who would treat Obama the way many liberals treated Bush, which I think you will find to be true over the next few months.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

CLINTON was considered a failure !?:eek:

Man some people must really hate surpluses......