All of Apple's Original TV Shows and Movies

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Mar 27, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has more than two dozen original television shows and movies in the works that will debut on Apple TV+ later this year, and in this guide, we've rounded up everything that Apple is working on, including content that we know about and partnerships that Apple has established.

Details about TV shows and movies become clearer as these shows are cast and as episodes are filmed, so for some of these titles, we don't have a lot of information at this time. This guide is updated on a regular basis with all new original content details.

[​IMG]

Amazing Stories

"Amazing Stories" is a science fiction and horror anthology series that was created by Steven Spielberg, which ran from 1985 to 1987. Apple has teamed up with Spielberg to revive the show.

Apple has ordered 10 new episodes of "Amazing Stories" and is spending more than $5 million per episode.

[​IMG]

Notable names: Steven Spielberg is set to executive produce.

The Morning Show

"The Morning Show," as the name suggests, is a morning talk show drama that will take a look inside the lives of the people who help America wake up in the morning.

Apple has signed a deal for two seasons of the show, with the two key stars, Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston, set to earn $1.25 million per episode.

[​IMG]

Notable names: Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston, Steve Carell, Billy Crudup, and Gugu Mbatha-Raw will star in the show.

For All Mankind (Filming Finished)

"For All Mankind" is a space drama that explores what might have happened in the world if the global space race had never ended.

Notable names: Joel Kinnaman (Altered Carbon), Michael Dorman (Patriot), and Sarah Jones (The Path) will star in the show. Ronald D. Moore created and wrote the series.

Truth Be Told (Filming Finished)

"Truth Be Told," previously known as "Are You Sleeping," is a drama that is based on a novel by Kathleen Barber. It focuses on the story of a podcast that reopens a murder case, similar to popular podcast "Serial."

The show will explore how the reopening of the murder case impacts the victim's daughter and impacts her life. Sarah Koenig, known for her work on "Serial," consulted on the series. Apple has ordered 10 episodes.

[​IMG]

Notable names: Octavia Spencer (Hidden Figures), Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad), Lizzy Caplan (Masters of Sex), Ron Cephas Jones (This Is Us), Elizabeth Perkins (Weeds), Mekhi Phifer (ER), Michael Beach (Sons of Anarchy), Tracie Thoms (UnREAL), Haneefah Wood (Nurse Jackie), Moon Bloodgood (Code Black), Billy Miller (Suits), Brett Cullen (Narcos), and Hunter Doohan (Westworld) will have roles in the show.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: All of Apple's Original TV Shows and Movies

2. billybobthornton macrumors member

billybobthornton

Anyone else weirded out by this? It’s like Apple is compensating for something and name dropping. Something is off. I wanna be a fan and on board but it feels forced and without soul. Apple appears to be more and more interested in taking over every aspect of our lives and losing its aim and core values in the process.

Tim if you’re reading this please bring this company back to the basics of why we fell in love with Apple in the first place and show us that you truly care about your customers.

3. archer75 macrumors 68020

Looks good! I'm definitely interested in checking out many of these.

4. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Most of these look like utter trash. Amazing Stories and Servant could be cool though.

5. NickName99 macrumors regular

NickName99

I’m excited about the Foundation series. I mean, assuming it’s not a disgrace. Tentatively excited!

6. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

As a fan of sci-fi I certainly will be checking some of these out. With Apple's involvement, hopefully they are not too sterile to actually be entertaining, but I guess time will tell.

7. thatvirtualboy macrumors newbie

thatvirtualboy

8. Greenlee macrumors member

Greenlee

9. archer75 macrumors 68020

watch the apple event and you'll see some footage. But it doesn't debut till the fall and as such trailers aren't ready just yet.

10. Sunday Ironfoot macrumors regular

How is this different from original TV content from the likes of Amazon Prime or Google via it's YouTube Red/Plus service. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft or Samsung launch a similar service. Skating to where the puck is going etc.

11. archer75 macrumors 68020

Microsoft does sell and stream movies/tv. And they have produced some original content though very little of it.

12. QquegChristian macrumors 6502

I bet a lot of this content will be very good, but I think they’ll need some more established properties to get people to sign up.

People signed up to Netflix for Hollywood movies and Netflix started putting original shoes in front of their face. We watched because we were already members. And even in that instance there’s an insane amount of Netflix originals no one ever talks about. Some of these niche shows you never hear about are more about retaining certain customers than signing up new ones.

Apple needs an impossible and established GET. A Seinfeld or Friends reunion season, or a Goonies TV show to take on Stranger Things, or a show set in Shawshank before Shawshank Redemption. They have to get the butts in the seats before we’ll stick around for the new stuff.

I don’t think the average person cares as much about the names attached to a project anymore. Steven Spielberg producing isn’t the draw it once was. Jordan Peele is the one exception in Hollywood right now. His Twilight Zone is going to be a massive success... it’s a more established property than Amazing Stories and Jordan Peele’s name is a mark of quality/uniqueness that even Spielberg has mostly lost.

13. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

1 million per episode for the morning show? You are a moron Tim Apple.

14. brigante macrumors newbie

15. archer75, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019

archer75 macrumors 68020

well netflix started with a completely different business model and years later slowly started trying something new where a market didn't exist. It was much easier for them to grow slowly. Much harder for a company to jump in to this space now.
    What type of shows you can make depend entirely on who owns the rights to it. They can't even make a goonies sequel. And friends will not be doing a reunion series. Even if they did it would be NBC who owns the rights.
    I LOVED amazing stories growing up and am very much looking forward to it. Jordan Peele has what? One movie? A sequel coming. It's too early to call him a success. He could end up being a one hit wonder. The twilight zone name alone isn't enough to carry the show if it's no good.
    And hulu made a show set in shawshank before it launched. And next season of that show will focus on the nurse in misery long before the movie. It's called castle rock.
    Even netflix is losing a ton of content because other companies own the rights to the content. Disney is pulling it's stuff back for it's own service. Others are doing the same. Soon all they will have is their original content and they know it. That's why they're pushing it so fast.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2019 ---
    Jennifer Anniston and each member of the cast of friends made 1 million EACH per episode. And that was back in the 90's.

So 1.25 million per episode for the morning show for each of them is peanuts. You should see how much a single 24 minute episode of the Big Bang theory costs to make. It's many millions.

16. nutmac macrumors 601

I will watch the pilot episode if it's free:
    • Amazing Stories: I watched some of the TV series and I am intrigued enough.
    • Servant: M. Night is either swing or a miss, so I will check out the pilot.
    • See: I like the genre and the premise, along with Jason Momoa and Alfre Woodard.
    • Shantaram: The book was very fun.
    • Time Bandits: The movie was too goofy for my taste but Taika Watiti's involvement has me highly interested.
    • Truth Be Told: Not a huge fan of the genre but I love the cast (Octavia Spencer, Aaron Paul, Lizzy Caplan) and the premise seems intriguing enough.
    I will subscribe to Apple TV+ for this:
    • Central Park: I like Bob's Burgers, and I love Kristen Bell and Stanley Tucci.
    • For All Mankind: Ronald D. Moore is back!
    • Isaac Asimov's Foundation: Loved the book.
    • Pachinko: The book was amazing.

17. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

Looks good! Not as goody two shoes as I thought. They sure are supporting the arts with this cash injection! Great time to be in film!

18. Khedron macrumors 65816

"See" sounds horrible. How long until the twist of someone with sight turning up?

"Amazing Stories" - how much of that $5m is left after Spielberg's cut?

"For All Mankind" and "Time Bandits" are the most interesting to me

19. genovelle macrumors 6502a

Most people signup for one of these services for one show they love. After that nothing.

20. Futurix macrumors 6502

Futurix

Let me guess, any new shows (or seasons of existing shows) will be released once a year at WWDC? ;)

21. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

A few of these do genuinely interest me, like the Steven Spielberg series and the partnership with A24, but it is going to take years before this is worth subscribing to.

I do think the focus on PG friendly content is a huge mistake. Life ain’t no Disney movie and it’s funny how they worry about how it will affect their brand and then team up with Goldman Sachs to produce a credit card.

22. jimbobb24 macrumors 6502a

We live in the new Golden Age of TV. Mist of these will be garbage but most of the Prime and Netflix original stuff is garbage. And most broadcast TV is trash and cable TV is trash. But with so many producers trying there are going to be some good shows made. Some by Netflix, some Apple, some Prime, some HBO, some broadcast. If you like TV it’s great. Even as a hobby Apple can spend enormous money on this relative to the traditional studies. That’s no problem as long as they don’t lose focus on what makes them the real money.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2019 ---
    The vast majority of shows and money come from PG to PG-13. It’s a fine place to start.

23. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

That’s so nutty. I don’t understand our society.

24. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

Maybe that’s true but look at some of the most popular shows like GoT. I just think they need to be at least open to more edgy content in the future.

25. ActionableMango, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019

ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I am amused by the people who are rating shows:
    • that they've never seen
    • that haven't even been created yet
    • based off of a few sentences worth of descriptions, which are themselves based on scant information