Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

All of Apple's Original TV Shows and Movies

Expobill

Suspended
May 30, 2018
Im so happy apple will produce a favorite book of mine into a full motion picture in stunning 4k, “Piles along the Mohawk” written by none other than Squatten Levitt, oh joy, cant wait!

niun

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
You should see how much a single 24 minute episode of the Big Bang theory costs to make. It's many millions.

That is a terrifying thought. How much hard cash is wasted on utter trash every season?
BBT would be a good fit for Apple.
Tired, safe and the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over..

Anyhoo, If all Apple has to sell at the moment is the "talent" it smacks of Carpool Karaoke or AppNaff (whatever that waste of cash was called).

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
well netflix started with a completely different business model and years later slowly started trying something new where a market didn't exist. It was much easier for them to grow slowly. Much harder for a company to jump in to this space now.
What type of shows you can make depend entirely on who owns the rights to it. They can't even make a goonies sequel. And friends will not be doing a reunion series. Even if they did it would be NBC who owns the rights.
I LOVED amazing stories growing up and am very much looking forward to it. Jordan Peele has what? One movie? A sequel coming. It's too early to call him a success. He could end up being a one hit wonder. The twilight zone name alone isn't enough to carry the show if it's no good.
And hulu made a show set in shawshank before it launched. And next season of that show will focus on the nurse in misery long before the movie. It's called castle rock.
Even netflix is losing a ton of content because other companies own the rights to the content. Disney is pulling it's stuff back for it's own service. Others are doing the same. Soon all they will have is their original content and they know it. That's why they're pushing it so fast.
[doublepost=1553725644][/doublepost]
Jennifer Anniston and each member of the cast of friends made 1 million EACH per episode. And that was back in the 90's.

So 1.25 million per episode for the morning show for each of them is peanuts. You should see how much a single 24 minute episode of the Big Bang theory costs to make. It's many millions.

Oh I totally get the licensing issues with established properties. My point was just that Apple needed to bite the bullet and get SOMEthing people already know, no matter the cost. Their biggest hurdle is less about money and more about all these rights holders thinking they can also start subscription services.

I only used Goonies because of the Spielberg connection.

I think the general person already has a backlog of new original shows on their current services they want to get around to watching. You have to really entice me to pile on more! I mean, your explanation of Castle Rock just immediately perked my interest more than anything on this list!

Oh and the Jordan Peele thing is a big story right now. His second movie, Us, had the second best opening for an original movie (not a sequel, not based on a book or anything)... ever. It is second only to Avatar, which was PG13 and Us is R-rated, making it even more impressive. The analysts are saying it performed as if it were a sequel to Get Out not an entirely new movie (which it is). That’s because people wanted more content from Jordan Peele.

It’s exactly what happened after M Night Shyamalan released Sixth Sense. His movies performed like sequels to each other until his 4th or 5th movie when people had enough.

shanson27

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
iPhone XI same design, same camera, same Display, but spending 5 million for each episode of Amazing Stores ! WOW! Apple, you surprise me every time :confused:

Reactions: danmaldesign

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Anyone else weirded out by this? It’s like Apple is compensating for something and name dropping. Something is off. I wanna be a fan and on board but it feels forced and without soul. Apple appears to be more and more interested in taking over every aspect of our lives and losing its aim and core values in the process.

Tim if you’re reading this please bring this company back to the basics of why we fell in love with Apple in the first place and show us that you truly care about your customers.
The Apple Computer some wax nostalgic for disappeared in 2001 with the introduction of the iPod. Nearly 20 years ago.

Up through 2007 when iPhone was introduced, Apple only averaged about 4 million Macs per year. Jobs officially dropped Computer from their name and they were just Apple Inc. Six months later iPhone was introduced.

By 2011, fours years later, Apple was selling more than 4 times as many Macs, and over the last 8 years that has stayed relatively constant, averaging about 18 million/year. In 2011 Apple sold 70 million iPhones, and over the last 4 years has averaged more than 3 times that number, around 220 million/year.

In 2010 Apple introduced iPad, and from 2012-2015 averaged about 65 million/year, dropping to about 45 million/year over the past 3 years.

The pre-iPod Apple that was selling 3 million Macs in 2001—to a very niche market—is not coming back. Ever. Never ever. Apple may never again sell a computer you want to buy, but they’re selling five times as many as they did before they became more than just a computer company. And hundreds of millions of other computing devices as well.

You can’t freeze time, nor go back in time. Apple is adding video content, and some of it will be great. Some likely not. They’re also adding magazines/ news and games as subscription services to those they already have, like Music, iCloud, AppleCare and the iPhone upgrade program. They have Apple Pay, Apple Cash and they’re adding Apple Card.

You may never want to use any of those services. That’s up to you. But the Apple that only sold a few million Macs per year is dead, dead, dead.

Things change. Many will adapt. Such is the nature of life.

Last edited:

jclo

Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
California
Reactions: ActionableMango

Expobill

Suspended
May 30, 2018
Tv is bad, well sitcoms, because the producers do not want to offend anyone, except middle aged male caucasians. Also people will still have tv on while they facebook, so the ratings still keep these lame shows running season after season.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Looks good to me. It is much easier to read this article than it was to sit through the actors reading crap from the teleprompter. I tuned out so hard I failed to comprehend a thing about "See" until I read about it here. Thanks Mac Rumors for all the articles summarizing that mess.

Let's hope Apple does better launching this endeavor than they did the Air Power. Good luck, Apple!

Reactions: arn

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
I do think the focus on PG friendly content is a huge mistake. Life ain’t no Disney movie and it’s funny how they worry about how it will affect their brand and then team up with Goldman Sachs to produce a credit card.
I understand why Apple wants to avoid gratuitous sex and violence, but a series shouldn't be watered down for the sake of expanding audience base and to maintain "wholesome" image.

A case in point. Pachinko is adapted from a novel with war violence and many sex scenes. These elements are essential to the story and I would be very disappointed if these elements are watered down or omitted entirely.

Reactions: ChrisMoBro

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Tv is bad, well sitcoms, because the producers do not want to offend anyone, except middle aged male caucasians. Also people will still have tv on while they facebook, so the ratings still keep these lame shows running season after season.
I’m a middle-aged Caucasian male, and speaking for myself and my friends—if not my demographic—our egos are not nearly so fragile, nor are we so easily offended, as you must think. The few sitcoms I’ve seen in no way offend me, despite what you think their producers intend.

Maybe if you could give some examples of what I could/should take offense to, I could sharpen my awareness, so I may be a properly offended older white guy.

Totemsflare

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2017
London
The Apple Computer some wax nostalgic for disappeared in 2001 with the introduction of the iPod. Nearly 20 years ago.

Up through 2007 when iPhone was introduced, Apple only averaged about 4 million Macs per year. Jobs officially dropped Computer from their name and they were just Apple Inc. Six months later iPhone was introduced.

By 2011, fours years later, Apple was selling more than 4 times as many Macs, and over the last 8 years that has stayed relatively constant, averaging about 18 million/year. In 2011 Apple sold 70 million iPhones, and over the last 4 years has averaged more than 3 times that number, around 220 million/year.

In 2010 Apple introduced iPad, and from 2012-2015 averaged about 65 million/year, dropping to about 45 million/year over the past 3 years.

The pre-iPod Apple that was selling 3 million Macs in 2001—to a very niche market—is not coming back. Ever. Never ever. Apple may not ever again sell a computer you want to buy, but they’re selling five times as many as they did before they became more than just a computer company. And hundreds of millions of other computing devices as well.

You can’t freeze time, nor go back in time. Apple is adding video content, and some of it will be great. Some probably not. They’re also adding magazines, news and games as subscription services to those they already have, like Music, iCloud, AppleCare and the iPhone upgrade program. They have Apple Pay, Apple Cash and they’re adding Apple Card.

You may never want to use any of those services. That’s up to you. But the Apple that only sold a few million Macs per year is dead, dead, dead.

Post of the month.

Double-A

macrumors newbie
I don’t necessarily think it is a bad thing that Apple is expanding into new markets. The technology industry has vastly changed from when Apple was first created and they’re just trying to stay current with the times.

With that being said, I wish they would pick a side. They seem to be split between trying to be the Apple of the past and the Apple of the future. I am referring to the Mac when I say this. I feel like Apple has demonstrated that the Mac is not their highest priority anymore, so they should simply step out of the personal computer arena.

If their new priorities are the iPhone, Apple Watch, and their subscription services, fine. Just quit selling Mac computers. I’d rather they stop making them than half-ass it.

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I don’t necessarily think it is a bad thing that Apple is expanding into new markets. The technology industry has vastly changed from when Apple was first created and they’re just trying to stay current with the times.

With that being said, I wish they would pick a side. They seem to be split between trying to be the Apple of the past and the Apple of the future. I am referring to the Mac when I say this. I feel like Apple has demonstrated that the Mac is not their highest priority anymore, so they should simply step out of the personal computer arena.

If their new priorities are the iPhone, Apple Watch, and their subscription services, fine. Just quit selling Mac computers. I’d rather they stop making them than half-ass it.
Macintosh is a $25 billion dollar a year business—almost a Fortune 100 sized company all by itself. Apple sells about 18 million Macs per year. There’s absolutely no reason why they would—or should—abandon that market and their satisfied customers.

If you want the new Mac Pro (or refreshed 12” MacBook), you’ll have to wait until later in the year. Literally every other model is current.

Apple has a lot of product lines, and they’ll have even more in the future; they’re a growing company. There can only be one highest priority, and certainly Mac is not it. But it’s rather melodramatic to say, if Mac can’t be Apple’s top priority, they might as well shut it down. That’s ridiculous, actually. imho that is.

Last edited:

Teammm

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Maryland
Sooo I like:

- Truth Be Told
- For All Mankind.
- See.
- Servant.

- Little Voice.
- Amazing Stories.
- Central Park.
- Documentaries.
- Oprah.

ChrisMoBro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016
I understand why Apple wants to avoid gratuitous sex and violence, but a series shouldn't be watered down for the sake of expanding audience base and to maintain "wholesome" image.

A case in point. Pachinko is adapted from a novel with war violence and many sex scenes. These elements are essential to the story and I would be very disappointed if these elements are watered down or omitted entirely.
Exactly, if Apple truly cares about storytelling they wouldn’t put such limits on the work that can be produced. I’m not a fan of sex and violence just for the sake of it but sometimes it is essential for storytellling.

Reactions: nutmac

danmaldesign

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017

Apple has more than two dozen original television shows and movies in the works that will debut on Apple TV+ later this year, and in this guide, we've rounded up everything that Apple is working on, including content that we know about and partnerships that Apple has established.

Details about TV shows and movies become clearer as these shows are cast and as episodes are filmed, so for some of these titles, we don't have a lot of information at this time. This guide is updated on a regular basis with all new original content details.

Amazing Stories

"Amazing Stories" is a science fiction and horror anthology series that was created by Steven Spielberg, which ran from 1985 to 1987. Apple has teamed up with Spielberg to revive the show.

Apple has ordered 10 new episodes of "Amazing Stories" and is spending more than $5 million per episode.

Notable names: Steven Spielberg is set to executive produce.

The Morning Show

"The Morning Show," as the name suggests, is a morning talk show drama that will take a look inside the lives of the people who help America wake up in the morning.

Apple has signed a deal for two seasons of the show, with the two key stars, Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston, set to earn $1.25 million per episode.

Notable names: Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston, Steve Carell, Billy Crudup, and Gugu Mbatha-Raw will star in the show.

For All Mankind (Filming Finished)

"For All Mankind" is a space drama that explores what might have happened in the world if the global space race had never ended.

Notable names: Joel Kinnaman (Altered Carbon), Michael Dorman (Patriot), and Sarah Jones (The Path) will star in the show. Ronald D. Moore created and wrote the series.

Truth Be Told (Filming Finished)

"Truth Be Told," previously known as "Are You Sleeping," is a drama that is based on a novel by Kathleen Barber. It focuses on the story of a podcast that reopens a murder case, similar to popular podcast "Serial."

The show will explore how the reopening of the murder case impacts the victim's daughter and impacts her life. Sarah Koenig, known for her work on "Serial," consulted on the series. Apple has ordered 10 episodes.

Notable names: Octavia Spencer (Hidden Figures), Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad), Lizzy Caplan (Masters of Sex), Ron Cephas Jones (This Is Us), Elizabeth Perkins (Weeds), Mekhi Phifer (ER), Michael Beach (Sons of Anarchy), Tracie Thoms (UnREAL), Haneefah Wood (Nurse Jackie), Moon Bloodgood (Code Black), Billy Miller (Suits), Brett Cullen (Narcos), and Hunter Doohan (Westworld) will have roles in the show.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: All of Apple's Original TV Shows and Movies
[doublepost=1553776773][/doublepost]Apple is spending MILLIONS on television content yet they are failing in their core competencies of providing quality hardware and peripherals, trickling our updates and suckering the consumers to buy products that are already obsolete. (Only one iPad has face recognition and that product is suffering from BENDGATE, all of the other iPad updates are compatible with an obsolete Apple Pencil 1 and still rely on Touch ID. MacBook Airs have a LIGHTGATE issue. MacBook Pros have faulty keyboards.) But hey...all hail APPLE TV+ and programming by Oprah Winfrey (The woman who introduced the world to Dr.Phil) I’ll watch ALL of this programming with my fire stick. Amazon’s android device kicked Apple TV’s ass. Give it up.

Reactions: glowplug

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Tim if you’re reading this please bring this company back to the basics of why we fell in love with Apple in the first place and show us that you truly care about your customers.

It's simple. Apple changed because its customer demographic changed. Apple used to cater to doers—creative professionals, academics, and others who considered the PC a tool. Meanwhile, Joe Consumer used a Windows PC for recreation because it was more affordable, and because Joe is a sheep who finds safety in numbers and believes prevelance is proof of superiority.

When Apple's iTunes Store and iPod won the attention and approval of Joe's lot, their loyalty to Windows was weakened. These gateway products tempted Joe's lot to investigate the iMac and Macbook's user friendliness. Eventually, the iPhone convinced them that Apple understood their appetite for entertainment.

Like you, I wish Apple would segregate the productivity products from the consumer ones both logistically and symbolically. I would even support selling MacOS to another brand.

danmaldesign

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
A company that sells obsolete and faulty products at a premium price has absolutely NOTHING to do with demographics and everything to do with corporate greed.

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I WILL be paying for this service when it debuts!

Joel Kinnaman was amazing in the Robocopy reboot ... and especially loved the Altered Carbon TV series on Netflix! Jason Momoa in 'SEE' is of great particular interest to me.

Here in Toronto one of the forward thinking K-Gr8 Schools in North York back in the early '80s that I went to had some really forward thinking classes. Industrial Arts with woodworking and Welding (practically unsupervised after being taught the dangers of propane and other tanks for welding), Family Studies with sex ed - sorry Derek in class was MUCH more advanced than our teachers ... he knew every STD/STi in the book due to his promiscous hot mother that went on trips to barbadoes (same schedule as my family to Jamaica) lol that was a hoot. More to the point ... A blind student (born blind) had chosen to goto a 'normal school' for a full year and man ... we all were blessed for it.

Awareness by your skin, hearing, and smell.
how to quickly memorize a route (we had to RELEARN the square building all over again),
how to listen for variances of pitch, flow in a persons speach and what it could sometimes mean.
Why policce forces in UK and N.America usually say the word "FREEZE" when catching theives in the act. Why such a word has great subliminal importance.
Sound Scaping ... and it's reasons and applications in buildings.

Being the fastest spring throughout Gr 1-8 and having a fellow stundent, born blind not only keep up with me (hilarious watching his legs and feet run though) yet also jump ... "blindly" down 12 flights of stairs and NOT crash into a wall just 3ft from the landing and again turn and jump again - each time NOT holding the railing ...

Gave me a heartattack,
Gave me absolute respect for this kid,
Gave me a deeper understanding of who I was and the people around me ... to give people more than the cursory introduction and not judge them ... always keeping an ever growing mind to see who they are, who they're trying to be, and who they are becoming.

I really hope "SEE" shows so many aspects of life and not just in a survive world viking like presentation that is just so mindnumbing and limiting. f

PS: I really hope Apple engineers were on set to learn more about sound and ambient sound to increase efficiency and accuracy of noise cancellation on future headphones.

Lalatoon

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2019

The pre-iPod Apple that was selling 3 million Macs in 2001—to a very niche market—is not coming back. Ever. Never ever. Apple may never again sell a computer you want to buy, but they’re selling five times as many as they did before they became more than just a computer company. And hundreds of millions of other computing devices as well.

You can’t freeze time, nor go back in time. Apple is adding video content, and some of it will be great. Some likely not. They’re also adding magazines/ news and games as subscription services to those they already have, like Music, iCloud, AppleCare and the iPhone upgrade program. They have Apple Pay, Apple Cash and they’re adding Apple Card.

Apple is expanding into services sector and that's good for them.

But they need to take care of their hardware now even more because their services are tied to their hardware.

You cannot use Apple TV+ or Music without Apple hardware.

All of this new things they have added to their business relies on how we'll they do in their hardware products.

No one will be buying iPhone or iPad just to watch series from Apple TV+.

The way I see it, knowing that they have millions of devices out there, they are milking those customers by providing these different services. This is a very good strategy to have more profit. Consumers already purchased your product and the next best thing to profit from them is provide exclusive services.

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Apple is expanding into services sector and that's good for them.

But they need to take care of their hardware now even more because their services are tied to their hardware.

You cannot use Apple TV+ or Music without Apple hardware.

All of this new things they have added to their business relies on how we'll they do in their hardware products.

No one will be buying iPhone or iPad just to watch series from Apple TV+.

The way I see it, knowing that they have millions of devices out there, they are milking those customers by providing these different services. This is a very good strategy to have more profit. Consumers already purchased your product and the next best thing to profit from them is provide exclusive services.
Sure, Apple’s got about 1.5 billion devices out there, but there’s nothing exclusive to Apple hardware about Apple Music or Apple TV+.

Apple Music is available for Android, and Apple TV+ will be on many other devices besides Apple’s, including Samsung, Sony and LG televisions, and Amazon Fire TV and Roku streaming devices.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about Apple’s hardware, they’ve been on an incredible tear lately releasing updated hardware, including MacBook Air, two models of the 13” MacBook Pro, the 15” MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iMac and soon Mac Pro and likely iMac Pro as well. In addition, they also released two new redesigned iPad Pro models, iPad Air 3, iPad mini and this fall a (rumored) new redesigned budget iPad.

And of course, on their usual schedule, three new iPhones 10 months ago—and three more models in a couple months. Oh, and two new redesigned Apple Watches. And HomePod was also released last year. So, yeah... pretty much every Apple product has been refreshed, this year or last.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.