Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lalatoon

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2019
Sure, Apple’s got about 1.5 billion devices out there, but there’s nothing exclusive to Apple hardware about Apple Music or Apple TV+.

Apple Music is available for Android, and Apple TV+ will be on many other devices besides Apple’s, including Samsung, Sony and LG televisions, and Amazon Fire TV and Roku streaming devices.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about Apple’s hardware, they’ve been on an incredible tear lately releasing updated hardware, including MacBook Air, two models of the 13” MacBook Pro, the 15” MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iMac and soon Mac Pro and likely iMac Pro as well. In addition, they also released two new redesigned iPad Pro models, iPad Air 3, iPad mini and this fall a (rumored) new redesigned budget iPad.

And of course, on their usual schedule, three new iPhones 10 months ago—and three more models in a couple months. Oh, and two new redesigned Apple Watches. And HomePod was also released last year. So, yeah... pretty much every Apple product has been refreshed, this year or last.

Yeah I forgot Apple Music is available in Android, I think that was 2016 when they released the app. However for Apple TV+ they did not mention anything about releasing it in Google Play Store. Smart TV's has a very small user base when compared to Android mobile phones. I just checked Apple Music in Google Play Store, even though it scored a little bit low, 3.5 stars, but the number of downloads is still 10m+. I know 10m+ is nothing in 2.5 billion Android users but still it is a waste of opportunity to profit from Android mobile users. If they can get 10m+ in Apple Music that wouldn't be problem with Apple TV+. Even though Netflix has 500m+ installs in Play Store, I think there is still room for Apple in 2.5 billion users of Android.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Yeah I forgot Apple Music is available in Android, I think that was 2016 when they released the app. However for Apple TV+ they did not mention anything about releasing it in Google Play Store. Smart TV's has a very small user base when compared to Android mobile phones. I just checked Apple Music in Google Play Store, even though it scored a little bit low, 3.5 stars, but the number of downloads is still 10m+. I know 10m+ is nothing in 2.5 billion Android users but still it is a waste of opportunity to profit from Android mobile users. If they can get 10m+ in Apple Music that wouldn't be problem with Apple TV+. Even though Netflix has 500m+ installs in Play Store, I think there is still room for Apple in 2.5 billion users of Android.

Apple Music has had free trials and carrier subsidies so total downloads doesn't mean too much.

I don't have too much music, so prefer to buy rather than rent. I buy from iTunes and Bandcamp then upload the tracks to Google Play so they're in one place and easy to stream/download on all platforms at no extra cost.

iRutherford

Suspended
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
It's simple. Apple changed because its customer demographic changed. Apple used to cater to doers—creative professionals, academics, and others who considered the PC a tool. Meanwhile, Joe Consumer used a Windows PC for recreation because it was more affordable, and because Joe is a sheep who finds safety in numbers and believes prevelance is proof of superiority.

When Apple's iTunes Store and iPod won the attention and approval of Joe's lot, their loyalty to Windows was weakened. These gateway products tempted Joe's lot to investigate the iMac and Macbook's user friendliness. Eventually, the iPhone convinced them that Apple understood their appetite for entertainment.

Like you, I wish Apple would segregate the productivity products from the consumer ones both logistically and symbolically. I would even support selling MacOS to another brand.

This is too elitist of a view and I cringed just reading it.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
This is too elitist of a view and I cringed just reading it.

You prefer I rewrite history to suit your sensitivities? I was there. Joe Public did not have interest in PCs until AOL and affordable Windows machines emerged.

It was always the founder's intention to make tech simple and accessible for everyone. The founder even wrongly imagined that everyone would be inspired to create and learn. He had no idea that selfies and gossip would dominate people's interests.

There is nothing inherently evil about elitism. Most clubs earned the right. You going to tell a Marine that his elitist attitude is unjustified? You going to tell a CGI professional that his talent and hardware needs aren't more sophisticated than your SnapChat activities?

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
It’s mostly just a bunch of unconnected random thoughts. The thesis is insufficiently developed, poorly argued, wholly unsupported and borderline incoherent. D-

You're right. It's difficult for me to summarize a twisting history such as Apple's and argue for change when many members here don't have any context prior to the iPhone.

onesixright

macrumors member
May 28, 2007
Netherlands
OK, this is a disgrace. I got a free year subscription, well I get why its "free" now: 8 series, thats it. Really???
E I G H T.

It's a gimmick. I do understand they will add content over overtime. Yet, even if they add 10 new series / movies a month, in a year you have only a fraction of Netflix, Prima, etc... So not sure how this is going to pan out :rolleyes:

Apple sits on a ton of moves which you can buy of rent, and they couldn't strike a deal to just add some of those titles?

More of a disgrace is: you can not cancel your free year now, if you cancel you stop watching straight away. They just hope in a year you forget to cancel? Pathetic :apple:.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.