Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
OK, most of you were crazy because now we could program OSX using Unix.

I have a challenge for all of you, something that every mac user wanted to do and never could...

Can any of you create an application so the powerbooks remain fully active when their are closed?

I mean, if you are gonna use it as a desktop computer and you have an extra monitor, keyboard and mouse there is no sense to have the LCD running, it will become a CPU only.

Can anybody do that?

Thanx.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: All of you OSX lovers/programmers...

Originally posted by mymemory
OK, most of you were crazy because now we could program OSX using Unix.

I have a challenge for all of you, something that every mac user wanted to do and never could...

Can any of you create an application so the powerbooks remain fully active when their are closed?

I mean, if you are gonna use it as a desktop computer and you have an extra monitor, keyboard and mouse there is no sense to have the LCD running, it will become a CPU only.

Can anybody do that?

Thanx.

Sigh....
1) UNIX is not a programming language
2) Most if not all of the PowerBooks can already do that
3) The iBooks can't (unless you use the hack floating around the net) because of heat issues

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-mymemory

Actually, a simple way to wake it up when closed woulf be to have a USB device - any device handy, and plug it in. It's wake.

Works on my 12PB. Though I wouldn't recommentd it due to heat questions.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
Nice,

I thought about the heat problem too but... who cares! as long the machine is producing enough money to replace itself. But it is something that I barely do in the near future.

I was just wandering because I have my famus 2 pismos and I wanted to try that.

Thanx people.

Now let see if I can do that with my computers and OSX.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Nice,

I thought about the heat problem too but... who cares! as long the machine is producing enough money to replace itself. But it is something that I barely do in the near future.

I was just wandering because I have my famus 2 pismos and I wanted to try that.

Thanx people.

Now let see if I can do that with my computers and OSX.

There is a hack floating around the web. An easy way to get it is to download KisMAC (intended for hacking WLANs, can be found on VersionTracker), which has that feature as an option. Besides the heat issues, you should be careful when using this because it modifies your kernel and can screw up your system if something goes wrong. Also, it is NOT reversable. Use caution when applying this hack.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
There is a hack floating around the web. An easy way to get it is to download KisMAC (intended for hacking WLANs, can be found on VersionTracker), which has that feature as an option. Besides the heat issues, you should be careful when using this because it modifies your kernel and can screw up your system if something goes wrong. Also, it is NOT reversable. Use caution when applying this hack.
yeah well you're gonna have some heck of a overheating problem if you do that...don't. it's not a good idea.
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny (in his sig)
My Mac House:
-----------------------------------
iMac G4 700 Combo- "iLamp"
iBook G3 500 DVD- "iBook"
<sarcasm>what creative names you choose for your computers ibookin, iBook and iLamp are both so creative...</sarcasm>

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by übergeek
yeah well you're gonna have some heck of a overheating problem if you do that...don't. it's not a good idea.

<sarcasm>what creative names you choose for your computers ibookin, iBook and iLamp are both so creative...</sarcasm>

Off topic!

Also, the new iBook will have a better name. PM me if you have any ideas.

Anyway, about the heat issue: I'm not familiar with the PB G3 Pismos but I believe that they have ways to blow hot air out of the system other than the through the keyboard. I have a friend who runs his Pismo with the lid closed and he has not had a problem with it.

Maybe alphatech knows something about this?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-ibookin'@mwny

Well, I used to think that my 12pb used the keyboard as venting, but I've since tested it out and if the keyboard is used for anything like cooling, it's by simple convection.

On the back of the machine, there are three grilles. The two outboard are the speakers that project sound off the screen when open, the middle, under the hinge, is the exhaust. Intake for the air is one the left side, toward the front.

So my only worry, is that the heat of the machine will warp the screen subsrate, and keys. But, as I think about it, if Apple were to wish to keep this machine from waking from sleep when closed, they would have done the same thing to the 12PB's as the iBooks and actively prevented it. So, if there is an issue, AppleCare!

As for a hack that afects the kernel. I'd say don't! Messing with the Kernel?!? The Kernel of a UNIX OS is the most debugged softwares in existence (ergo 99% uptime), to mess with that seems a cardinal bad idea.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Remark from a frustrated iBook owner

Why not use the PB LCD as a second display?

----------

Nah, I'm not really frustrated: I don't own a screen anyway:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.