All Patriot Torqx SSDs (same hardware as OCZ Vertex) Now Come with 10-year Warranty!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by winterspan, Jul 11, 2009.

1. winterspan macrumors 65816

Patriot has just announced that their "Torqx" series consumer SSDs now come with a 10-year warranty, and this is retroactive to everyone who has purchased one.

The 128GB/256GB Torqx are very fast and have identical internal hardware to the much-loved OCZ Vertex SSDs, but are a bit cheaper, especially compared to the Mac version of the Vertex. As far as compatibility goes, I don't have first hand knowledge but I've seen a few different sources using them on the new Macbook/Macbooks pros and they haven't reported any issues.

Toms hardware did a recent comparison to the X25M, testing both on a Macbook Pro: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/patriot-memory-torqx-ssd,8104.html

Here's a newer review of the 128GB model on Bit-tech.net:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2009/07/03/patriot-torqx-128gb-ssd-review/1

Newegg had a $299 special with rebate on the 128GB, but it seems it went back to $359 with rebate ($379 up front). Also, the 256GB is only $699 on newegg.

edit: It looks like OCZ cut prices on the Vertex (at least on the non-mac models) and are now close to the Torqx.

Still, for those of us who are nervous about the longevity of an expensive new SSD, the 10-year warrant from Patriot is very tempting.

/// I have no vested interest in Patriot or SSDs in general. I am just a geek :)

2. tsa1 macrumors regular

3. vant macrumors 65816

I'd wait for Intel's update that is coming in a week or two before buying ANY SSD.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

10 year warranty really does nothing for me, because, let's face it, in only 5 years a 128GB SSD will be as useful as a double side floppy is today.

More important to me is how reliable and fast a given model is today. The standard 3 year warranty on most SSDs is fine with me since I imagine even next year this time 256GB and large SSD wills be available at more reasonable prices and the 128s we have now will be sold on eBay or Craigslist.

5. winterspan thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I forgot about that. Although Intel will be first, other fabs are also making 34nm NAND flash and so other SSD brands like OCZ, Corsair should have new larger, cheaper SSDs out in the next few months as well.

The counterpoint to that is that NAND flash prices have risen dramatically in just the past few months because of the major reduction in supply capacity by Asian manufacturers from the recession.

Given the fact that the majority of the cost of an SSD is the NAND flash, This should definitely have some influence on pricing. Hopefully the new, higher capacity NAND flash chips can largely offset any increases in price/GB.

Anyways, if you need one right now and will upgrade later, new SSDs based on the Indilinx or (new) Samsung controller have been dropping in price. If i were going to buy one today, I'd get the Corsair 'P256' with the new Samsung controller. That is a solid drive. Also, The Vertex 250GB is also an excellent drive.