All the cool cases are only for the 3g and 3gs.. whats up with that?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JennaLDS, Aug 6, 2009.

1. JennaLDS macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

So I have been looking for a smooth case for my iPhone 1st gen. Something not too flashy but stylish.. and every one I find is ONLY for the 3g and 3gs.. so I want to know what is up with that??? I want a cute case too! But I will not upgrade my iPhone until that plastic backing is replaced to something that is not going to crack within a few days.. anyone know where I can find a good looking case similar to these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and more specifically i LOVE these..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HELPPPPP

2. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

There is a reason for that. 3G and 3GS are the "in" phones. 1st gen is pretty old at this point. As for the "cracking plastic" - rare. The people who post here about it are the very few who have the issue. It's not even an issue.

Had a 3G for 1 year - no issues. Have several 3GS, no issues.

Point is, the 1st gen has an aluminum back. It doesn't need a case.

3. JennaLDS thread starter macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

Oh yes it does need a case.. the aluminum gets scratched.. like mine is.. and not to mention with a case on ANY phone, if the phone is dropped.. it kinda softens the blow to the phone. I just want a cute case.. I do not have the money to spend on a new phone anyways.

Not to mention.. they are basically the same.. video recorder, speed and the backing is the difference.. the screen still looks the same to me..

4. christyn macrumors 6502a

You won't find any new cases for the 1st GEN.
    There's just no market for it.

Also, if you're waiting for Apple to move away from the plastic backing... you'll be waiting a very long time.

Cracking is rare, and even if it does happen, they'll replace it.. so what's the big deal?

5. JennaLDS thread starter macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

Great.. now that my thread was MOVED no one will read it.. there are 20 people on the accessories side of the forum...

THUS THE REASON I PUT IT ON GENERAL iPHONE.. gah people.

6. JennaLDS thread starter macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

And why will I be waiting a VERY long time?? The plastic sucks. I think it is ugly as hell, and it cracks easily.. I have 4 friends with 3g's and not one of their phones is perfect on the back.. they ALL have cracks

7. christyn macrumors 6502a

The amount of people that complain about the plastic is minimal.
    As the other poster said, I've also had the 3G since launch day, and now the 3GS without cracking issues at all. Again, complaints are minimal.

8. JennaLDS thread starter macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

I do NOT have the money to buy a new phone.. all I want is a new case!

9. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

But look at Apple's product line as a whole. Plastic is the material that seems to be disappearing. I wouldn't be shocked to see the iPhone go back with a metal backing.

10. machacker macrumors regular

I agree. The entire line has stepped away from the Plastic and has marked it as 'non green' so I was confused as to why they made the new iPhone plastic again. But that is just me. I loved the look of the 2g iPhone as well, but the speed is just too slow for me now. I do too much on my iPhone. Hell it almost has replaced my laptop as far as usage.

11. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

From your posts, does not sound like you can be pleased. Perhaps you should search on your own and find one? Perhaps spray paint the phone you have now instead?

After all - it is a 1st gen that was what, 3 years ago? Good luck :)

12. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

If you post threads in the right place they won't be moved...just because you want a thread to be seen doesn't mean you should post it wherever you feel like it.

Shades still has some cases for the V1. So does switcheasy. This was turned up with a 32 second google search.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

wow a 1st gen

I can't help but feel sorry for you! :eek: i think your best hope for selection and probably the cheapest is Ebay. those cases you listed we can get 3G and 3GS for less then 5 bucks all are made in China. ;)

14. lavinci macrumors 6502

Agent 18 makes some great cases and still have V1 ones too. Like the EcoShield Clear Slider is excellent.

15. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The iPhone will NOT use a metal back. There are too many radios in the device now. It needs the plastic back.

16. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

Ah... that explains why my metal case makes edge go from 5 bars to no signal. I thought I was going crazy. :rolleyes: I can't believe those Noel cases are still being sold. I'm glad I got the cheapo kind off ebay for $2.

Ebay is probably your best bet for 1st gen iphone cases. Although I've seen many sellers list cases claiming they fit both 1st gen and 3G phones. So, good luck with that.

17. Londonluke macrumors member

Hang in there !!!

The Original iphone is the still the best looking and made. And as for the radio issues..... well if they cannot solve that then they should not be in business !!

18. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

This is like asking "Why don't they make cool cases for the Motorola Razr?" Too old to make it worth it.

19. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

iSkin.com still sells a few cases. I've been thinking of getting one before they go away also.

I still like my 2G as much as my 3G S.

20. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

What radio/radios made it no longer able to have a metal back? Is the addition of the 3G radio a problem?

21. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

The Noel cases aren't metal, in any way. Maybe it's the fact you got a cheap one?

22. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

i loved my agent 18 case for my original iphone -- it scratched the hell out of the phone back from little particles of sand creeping in but back then, i didnt seem to mind...

23. JennaLDS thread starter macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

Yes I can be pleased, but, I I am a BROKE law student.. I do not have the money to buy the new phone... and I DID look.. I have been looking for weeks for a cheap 1st gen iphone case.. I have a gelly case on it.. and I feel it does not protect it enough. I just need a good case in case I drop the thing, I dont have to buy a new phone.. It is much cheaper to spend 20 bucks on a case versus 300 for a new phone. But I want one that is stylish, not bulky and hideous.

and I have a question.. Why do half the people who went out and bought the 3gs or the 3g act like the 1st generation is a piece of **** that should be trashed? Or ruined? I would NEVER spray paint my phone that cost me 500 bucks when it first came out!!! That is stupidity. Some people just throw money away.. when you have people like me that cant afford decent groceries.. might as well take a stack of hundreds and torch them. My husband and I saved for weeks to get 2 iphones a few months after they came out... he would be SUPER pissed if I did something intentional like that.

anyway.. i wont b**ch anymore..

OHHH.. and thank you to everyone who told me some companies to check out.. I really appreciate it!!! *muah!*

24. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-1st-Gen-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-1st-Gen-Naked-Case.asp

what's wrong with that case?

My suggestion would be to but a wanted to buy post in forums like these? I'm sure a lot of people have cases laying around for the first gen Iphone. As a phone it's fine and is very nice looking. Although when you do upgrade at some point I think you'll understand why speed and functionality are better than aluminum and as mentioned I doubt you will see a metal back again. Though my girlfriend is getting her masters and money is tight for her so I understand a tight budget.

25. Ferris23 macrumors 68020