All this waiting is killing me,it better be a redesign or I'm buying an iPad 3

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wheelie15man, Mar 14, 2012.

1. wheelie15man macrumors newbie

Still got a dell laptop which is still running ok...ish.
    Moving over to an iMac due to house full of apples.....
    Iphone 4s,iPhone 3,iPod touch,iPod nano,iPod shuffle,iPad 2,atv2...
    The laptop will be the last thing to go,but don't want a iMac just before a redesign.
    My guess in May for next IMac release but redesign could be near end of the year...

Tick tock tick tock

Hope I'm not on my own playing the waiting game...lol:apple:

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you're expecting a redesign, go ahead and buy your new iPad now.

Realistically, the new iMac will have some spec bumps and that is all.

3. soco macrumors 68030

soco

^^^ Agreed.

Apple is not in the business of shock & awe with redesign.

I've never understood people's constant expectation that they're going to completely scrap their designes year after year. They spend tons of R&D to figure these designs out. Why scrap all of that effort just to say, "Hey! Look at our radical redesign!" when you're just going to buy the same look next year.

Their designs look fabulous and you'll buy them if they're good machines.

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

It's been a long time since they went from the lampshade to the L-bar. Something new would be welcome (though not exactly expected).

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

They're not? Check out some of their past keynote events then. Cue thundering applause.

6. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

If you want an iMac I fail to see why you’ll settle for an iPad; especially with the amount of iOS devices you already own. A re-Design wouldn’t change the specs any and it would have no real effect on the computer itself. Besides, they only came out with this exact design a few years ago, they aren’t going to scrap it already.

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Funny you say that, because history shows that every 2-3 years, Apple has redesigned the following machines: Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, and the iMac. You can check wiki yourself.

I think we're due schedule for a redesigned iMac personally.

8. soco macrumors 68030

soco

You're confusing what I said with journalists' stupidity.

9. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Forget journalist perception. Steve Jobs, on stage, unveiling a curtain, or having the iMac surface from a pedestal is not "shock and awe" to you? I don't see any other company going to such theatrics to unveil a product to an audience.

10. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Don't worry, I've heard they are going to re-design it. My sources are VERY reliable. Apparently Apple is going to move the black Apple on the front slightly to the left. Now you can buy that new iMac once summer arrives!

11. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

The current design has been around as long as any iMac since the white one that served across the PPC / Intel switch, possibly extending that design more than would otherwise of happened. Following all the other design lifespans, we are due a change. Doesn't mean it will happen yet though.

12. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

It's been somewhat redesigned already. My 2009 isn't edge to edge glass. That was added in late 2009 iMacs or later, so the current design isn't that old, really.

13. wheelie15man thread starter macrumors newbie

They might just shave a bit off the chin,that would be nice.so I could get a 27 as the current model is just to tall for my desk.....:(
    Same height as 21.5 would be great..

Or bring out a new white iMac....maybe not...

No one knows but its nice to guess !!!

----------

I'm going to put my money on late 2012 for a redesign...and just a bit more power this spring...

14. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

A 30 inch would probably allow them to shave quite a bit off considering they'd have a wider space to deal with. Maybe that's just what i'm hoping for. lol.

15. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

It doesn't, but predicting based off a consistent timeline is a good bet I'd say. :)

Yes, it has. I absolutely count the edge-edge glass as a redesign, and that was released 2009, which would make this it's 3rd year in the market. And considering the timeline....

I would love for them to bring back the white iMac. I'd pick that up in a heartbeat. :D

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It never had an effect on me. They're just playing it up.

I'm not entirely sure their focus is on the imac. I wouldn't expect a significant redesign until they have a good option in terms of new display panels. I haven't been fully keeping up with such things, but I haven't seen anything new unveiled in that regard, and the imac is not likely to receive a fully custom design. Ivy Bridge should at least take down some of the scorching heat from the top 27".

17. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yes, but I'm not talking about the audience side. I'm talking about Apple's side and they clearly care enough about their designs with enough passion that they would play the theatrics on it.

Whether or not their focus has drawn away from the iMac is up to subjective opinion. I am simply basing my predictions off a consistent timeline of redesigns of the iMac. So we will see if this consistently holds up this year.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Gee I need a new iMac but if they don't redesign it I think I'll buy an iPad. Logic fails again.

19. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Im with these guys. The iMac and Mac Pro are very well thought designs and Apple will not change them other than tech specs. The Pro may get smaller, though, but not by much. Heat dissipation and expansion slots drive the size of these guys.

Dale

20. wheelie15man thread starter macrumors newbie

Laptop still running so will just use that with a new iPad till new iMac comes out.
    If nothing great happens with 2012 iMac :apple:

21. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I think others have said it would look nice if it was redesigned to look Apple's Cinema Display, but I feel they might do this in 2013.

It is highly welcomed though, but I'll be upgrading from 2009 27 i5 anyways, so the more the better!

22. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'm waiting too. Even if it's a small speed bump I would rather wait a month or to rather than buy now. It's hard resisting every time I see an iMac in a store though!

23. LaWally macrumors 6502a

And I'm looking to upgrade from an early 2008 iMac 27", so even if the next refresh only offers a slight bump in performance, it'll be a significant upgrade for me.

That being said, couldn't agree more: "the more the better".

----------

I'm guessing he is looking for both a new iMac and iPad, and a disappointing iMac upgrade would push him to buy the iPad now and wait on the next next iMac?

24. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

25. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

considering the drop in TDP this year (cpu and gpu), this is the perfect timing for a redesign, both macbook pro lines and imac lines.

2012. we're just getting started.

they need to show they can do it, even without him.