All unibody MacBook Pro owners: black spots/marks in ports?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgpg89, Nov 23, 2008.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

To all unibody MBP owners:

Can you take a quick look in your USB / FireWire / Ethernet / MDP ports and especially inside your ExpressCard slot if you're using it?

Please let me know if there are any dark grey / black spots or marks in the ports.
    My friend and me both got these spots after 2 weeks of over-protective usage.

Does anyone know the cause of this?
    Maybe a reaction of the electrical current that goes through the ports with the anodized aluminum?

2. Nate025 macrumors regular

Been running since Oct. 24...One month now I guess. No black marks or splotching that I can see.

3. Protokoll macrumors member

Electrical engineer chiming in to say -- no. Just use your computer and stop worrying about this stuff. I'm really starting to question if most of you actually use your computers or just keep them in glass display cases.

4. Mercellus macrumors regular

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

So true.
    I look after my stuff, but I also expect things get scuffed and scratched.
    My Mac Pro stands on the floor, under the desk… not on top of it to be lovingly rubbed down and admired. :eek: ;)

As long as it works and brings me an income I am fine with it. Blemishes and all.

Things™ are made to be used (and enjoyed).
    :)

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

This is a Mac forum. Most of us are trendy perfectionist douchebags, we can't help it :)

7. Ropie macrumors regular

Ropie

Who was asking for advice on how to (mis)use or treat their computer? Isn't this the place to get help with MBP issues that concern you? However small, clearly the thread starter is concerned that this could be the beginning of an ongoing problem.

8. JL7 macrumors member

I know that I am, I'm constantly cleaning my Imac, I keep a can of air close by just in case I feel the urge to blast the littlest piece of dust off;)

9. prosinader macrumors newbie

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm seriously beginning to think that way as well. My friends who have various generations of iPods, iPhones, etc all keep them in cases. Big bulky things and constantly whine about how Apple sucks at making things thin and how it feels cheap and made in china. And then there's this kid, who's a friend of mine on YouTube, he has to get the "bestest and latest" of everything. For instance, his parents bought him a Mac Pro (fully loaded, 24 grand), MBP (fully loaded, new unibody one), a MacBook (fully loaded, unibody) and an iMac (again, fully loaded). And then there's the FCS and LS software...

Seriously, does [black spots] it matter? Is it a perfectionist thing or doesi t hinder your performance? It's not what you have (perfect MB or scuffed MBP) but what you do with it.