All ways to increase file storage on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SaltSlasher, Jan 21, 2011.

1. SaltSlasher macrumors member

I wanted to find out about all the ways that storage can be increased. I was going to exchange my iPad to get the 32gb, but it looks I why won't have to.

These are the only ways I know how to have access to more storage, when not connected via usb cable.

I have dropbox setup and it is nice but limited to 2gb for free. This works well but not for Videos or Music, but works nice with ebooks and comics.

I thought I read that with the camera connection kit, you can add SD and USB storage devices for all media and not just photos. But is meant for cameras.

Remote desktop apps are a nice way of using files and works very nice with documents and windows programs. This isn't exactly the best way to watch videos or listen to music. But it isn't using the iPad's programs to run these files, your just using your computer from a "remote" destination, so isn't as nice for some things.

Filebrowser seems to be the best solution for files, giving you back n forth access to your computer files to upload onto the iPad, and to put files back on the computer. As long as you have all your files in right location, you could have access to all information on your computer(s). This is a good super highway for all files.

AirVideo, for me(windows desktop) would be a good alternative for video and audio. The fact that I have spent two days converting my video into Mpeg 4 and am not even close to done. It says it can convert .avi into mpeg 4 when transfering over on the fly.

**The Apps I have said are just one of many like them**

*If there is anything I wrote that is incorrect, please let me know, these aren't fully 100% validated

I am very interested in buying the AirVideo and a remote desktop;either jump desktop or logmein iginition.

So I want to buy the perfect set of apps to handle all my kind of files:
    Video-AirVideo
    Music-Filebrowser, AirVideo or most!
    Photos-Connection kit, Dropbox, or any!
    eBooks-I have over 600 books on iPad and doesn't equal one gigabyte
    Comics-Filebrowser?
    Documents-Filebrowser, Jump Desktop, or any!

Thanks, for any info about ways to utilze these files!

2. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

The CCK can be used to boost your video storage. If you put videos in a folder named "DCIM" on a SD card or flash drive, the CCK will treat them like videos taken by a camera. It will allow you to copy them to the iPad and play them.

You'll still need the space on the iPad to copy in a video, but you can then delete the video after you are done with it and copy in another one from the external flash device. It's a little clumsy, but it does allow you to travel with a much larger library of videos. (As long as you have the flash cards to hold them.)

3. SaltSlasher thread starter macrumors member

I was testing my SD card. I would allow for me to transfer photos only.
    For a minute I thought I would need a hack or something!

What your saying still has many uses even without video. I wish that the iPad could just read off the SD card instead of just transferring the files onto it to play!

4. SaltSlasher thread starter macrumors member

I can't find this CCK. When searching it I can only find a daily Christian Church newsletter app?

I think the AirVideo is probably my best bet for transfering video back and forth. I would buy it just to do the easier conversion.

5. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

CCK = Camera Connection Kit. It's hardware, not software. Allows you to connect your SD card (or USB camera cable) to the iPad.

6. SaltSlasher thread starter macrumors member

Oh, duh, I put the skate video in the wrong folder when testing.

However, when I put the SD from my camera which does video, these videos show up under the "Camera" tab along with all the photos, the videos show "AVI+THM' on them to tell the difference.

I still have to import the video to watch, but like you said as long as I don't delete the original file when transferring them in, I could potentially put movies on the card, import them and watch. Then I can delete it when I am finished.

So this is actually an ok source for video, as long as the video is already in MP4, and loaded on the SD. It only took about 2-4minutes to put a video that was 3.5gb from iTunes, so I assume its in the same ballpark.

7. SaltSlasher thread starter macrumors member

Wow, AirVideo is probably the most badaZZ, app I have downloaded!!

I think the quality of the video is as good when playing the same MP4 movie earlier this morning! My cartoons are in low format .avi some in .xvid?, so I will probably still convert them into MP4 because I never used it before but the quality is above old standards!

I haven't tested some of its features, but so far after 10 minutes, I would of paid more for this!

8. baummer macrumors 6502a

Complete this to get an extra 1GB for free: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1066357/m15622757/#m15622757 (Be sure you're logged into Dropbox and just follow each step in order).

9. SaltSlasher thread starter macrumors member

Well an extra gig is an extra gig!

I am about to buy filebrowser, and if it does what I read, then I am going to be a even happy camper! But I wouldn't need dropbox, if it does work out :apple: