All your organs are belong to us.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Kind of interesting, in Kansas we are clearly asked if we want to donate our organs at the DMV when we get our ID. Is this not the case in other states?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/27/AR2010042703867.html

A New York assemblyman whose daughter is alive because of two kidney transplants wants his state to become the first in the nation to pass laws that would presume people want to donate their organs unless they specifically say otherwise.

Assemblyman Richard Brodsky believes the "presumed consent" measures would help combat a rising demand for healthy organs by patients forced to wait a year or more for transplants. Twenty-four European countries already have such laws in place, he said.

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

While I am very pro organ donation, I'm not sure an "opt-out" strategy would fly. Some cultures/religions would view this as descration of the body. I'm not sure one gives up rights to his/her body after death. Let's assume people want cremation so we don't waste valuable real estate with cemetaries. Let's assume people wish their bodies be donated to science. Unless at the time of DMV renewal you are clearly counselled that unless you actively "opt out" you will have organs harvested, this is gonna cause trouble if it passes.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm nearly always in support of "opt-in" rather than the "opt-out" that so many companies are fond of employing.

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Europe does it so that means we should too! :rolleyes:
    If you really want to meet the demand allow people to sell their own kidney.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I like opt-in, too, but there are better and worse opt-ins. In Florida, when one is at the desk at the DMV (or whatever it was called there) to get one's license, one gets asked and offered an explanation, and gets to chose, and it's printed directly onto one's license. Accordingly, I was signed up for organ donation in FL. In Michigan, you have a little part on the back of your card that you have to fill out and sign, and you have to have it witnessed, and to be honest, I didn't bother to do it (but I should). (IIRC, IL didn't have an opt-in program as of last year, when I got my license, at least, I have no recall of it, and I do not see it mentioned on my driver's license.)

7. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This is what I was more interested in, I wasn't sure if each state did the same way on organ donation. We have a little icon on our license with a heart if we are a donor. Kansas changed the way this was done a few years back because my first license required you to sign it to be an organ donor instead.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

We've got a pink dot on our licenses here. It used to be a sticker that you would affix to your license, but those kept coming off after a while in the wallet. It's just a box you check when you get or renew your license.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This kind of system, with an awareness campaign, seems pretty good to me. Not to overdo the "just because Europe" ... bandwagon, but much like banning burkas and minarets, we just don't have the cultural homogeneity that European countries do in order for an opt-out program to make sense. Nonetheless, given an easy opportunity to do so, I think there are many Americans who would be willing to donate.

EDIT: Well, actually, I really like FL's method of asking you in person. I'm not above using a little good-hearted shaming to get people to do their civic duty. :p

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

In TX when you renew your DL or do a change of address online they have a check box that says do you want to donate your organs. Sadly that is were it ends and they do not print anything on the DL.

I would like it if you make it very easy to opt in (a check box) and then have it printed on the DL. That way it removes a lot of the confusion in place right now. It makes it very simple because if you die and are a prim candidate for organ donation all they have to do is look at the ones DL and you are good to go.

Biggest problem is they make the system to complicated to sign up for it and to varify. Just make it printable on the DL. I know they still ask family if they want to donate organs and the family can always over ride the DL. I read it is important you let your family know that you want to donate so they do not try to prevent it from happening.

11. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

Oklahoma Like Kansas

Opt-in is the only way in my opinion. In Oklahoma you must opt-in or opt-out whenever your renew your DL now way around it you must declare or walk out empty handed.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't feel strongly about it one way or the other. I only recently became an organ donor, and that's because, like mkrishnan says, I just never bothered to fill it out.

I suspect if we go to an opt-out system, families of deceased individuals might start crying foul when the time comes. I agree with taking reasonable measures to try to increase the number of donors, but I'm not sure this is the best way to do it.

Absolutely wrong - I checked the box when I renewed my DL and I have a red "DONOR" heart on the bottom right corner of my new license.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think it should be an opt-out system, I think that might encourage more people to donate. And I just do not understand how anyone could be against it. You're dead, what the hell do you need your organs for?

When I die, I want them to cut me up and take every part of me that will help somebody else. Why throw them under 6 feet of dirt if they can save another life?

14. ethical macrumors 68000

The thing is, there are millions of religious people who would disagree with you. Not saying I'm one of them...but it's a major barrier to any plan for an opt-out system.

Personally, I would fully support an opt-out system over here in the UK. Like you, I ticked every box on the donor form that was part of my driver's license. I want to help as many people as possible when I expire!

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ahhh yes, good old religion. It seems to me like the religious thing to do would be to help others. I guess not :rolleyes:

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That is nice to here because about 2 years ago I know I check those boxes and the DL has nothing printed on it about being a donor.

I just change the address again so again I check those things. I will see if they changed it then. Either way I am glad to see they are at least doing that now.

17. ethical macrumors 68000

Haha yes you'd think that would be the case!

I've just been reading up on organ donation info in the US....do you guys think some sort of "be a donor and get a reduced medical bill" or "be a donor and we'll cover your funeral costs" scheme would encourage more people to sign up? Would it be ethical?

18. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I fully agree about using my body when I die, my father passed away unexpectedly a few years ago (he was still quite young), and he was listed as a donor. It's quite a noble thing to do IMO.

That being said, there really are millions who will not donate because of religious restriction. I know you think that's crap and that's fine, but the fact remains.

And there are an unknown number who object simply because they aren't comfortable with the idea.

So I think that opt in is the best strategy.

In Utah, we register in a database if we want to donate. We also used to get a sticker for our Licence. Now it's printed right on the front next to our height, weight, hair and eye color etc.

But in the end it doesn't mean much, because if I am killed in a crash they will still seek my next of kin's approval no matter what my licence says. All they have to do is say I changed my mind since having my most recent licence renewal and it won't happen. The converse is also true if I don't have the donor designation but my family says I wanted to donate.

SLC

19. ethical macrumors 68000

But with an opt-out system, those who are religiously opposed, and those who don't want to sign on because they aren't comfortable with it can opt-out. No win no loss. But, those who had maybe never thought about it, will be in a position to think about it...and so you could end up with more signing on. Win.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

In theory yes. My fear with making the opt in system is states will make opting out very convoluted and difficult to do. Hell look at a lot of the states how convoluted it is to opt in. A lot of people who would like to donate their organs do not do it because it is just to of a pain to do so.

Just make the system very easy with a very easy check box or ask the question when renewing at the DMV. Most people if just ask will say yes as long as they have to do no work to do it. The question "Would you like to donate your organs" will get a yes most of the time.

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I am pretty sure Ohio is opt-in. The DMV asks you whether or not you want to be a donor.

22. ethical macrumors 68000

Sorry, over here there is a check box on the driver license form, I thought that's what it was like in the US. I didn't realise there are hoops to jump through to get on board in some states. That seems pretty silly IMO!

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They should be the first ones we harvest organs from.

24. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

There are more reasons than just religion. For some, it's superstition (which non-religious people can have). Others have fear that the doctor attending them will try less to save them if he or she is a donor.

In illinois, it was simply a check box. However, in California, I was not asked at the DMV and had to go online to sign up for it (which no one told me).

25. Xavier macrumors 68020

I was asked if I wanted to be an organ donor when I had to renew my license this month (OH), and I think that everyone should have the question asked. Not assumptions.