Allegiance to the Queen?!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bartelby, Mar 10, 2008.

1. bartelby macrumors Core

BBC Link

That's the dumbest idea I've ever heard of!

EDIT: To Mods: If this needs to be moved to the PRSI, then please do so. :)

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's stupid, but the Queen is a cool lady, and I'm glad the UK still has them. ;)

I like the idea of promoting patriotism, but it really should be earned through what your country, and government, does for others. Canadians are very proud of their country, and we were never forced to be. ;)

3. zami macrumors regular

It's an utter disgrace, we've only recently been upgraded from Subjects to Citizens. Allegiance to that lot! They must be ****ing joking.

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

Lord Goldsmith says: "The point is to find a raft of different ways that we can create a greater sense of shared belonging in this country, greater social cohesion, and for people to understand more clearly what it means to be a citizen of this country. What the rights are and what the responsibilities are as well."

I can't see how uttering a few sentences is going to change society. Are they trying to imply that in order to be British, you have to believe that monarchy is the best form of government? Am I less of a citizen if I believe that Britain ought to be a republic?

Fortunately for me, I have dual nationality, and it's this kind of bs that makes me consider renouncing my British nationality.

Yes, it's a completely dumb idea and a waste of time. It will achieve nothing.

5. Queso macrumors G4

What a load of old wank. I'll be encouraging my nieces and nephews to reject this piece of nonsense when they reach 16.

Pension the Queen off to Balmoral to play with her racehorses and elect a head of state. Time for the UK to become a UR, that's if each country within it chooses to stay U. Better yet, let's just break the thing up and become four separate nations. Look how much better off the Baltic States etc. are now they're not part of Greater Russia (Soviet Union).

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Seems they're cracking down on the forced asskissing. Getting tougher and tougher to be a citizen here too.

7. stomer macrumors 6502a

"The Home Office said that it would still be possible for someone to be permanently resident as a foreign national in the UK - but it would be preferable for them to seek citizenship because of the benefits it would bring."
    My wife is a foreign national and has permanent residence. As the spouse of an EEA national (me), she is afforded the same rights that I have. So applying for British citizenship is a pointless and costly exercise.
    They keep on changing the goal posts, and although it once would have been a good idea for her to become British, it doesn't seem to be worth the hassle anymore.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

heh, I'm kind of leaning in that direction myself. (I'm an american married to a brit)

9. stomer macrumors 6502a

Apropos: "but it would be preferable for them to seek citizenship because of the benefits it would bring"

I remember helping my wife apply for her initial settlement visa. We were given the choice of applying as the spouse of an EEA national or a British national (I've dual nationality). Applying as an EEA national happened to be free, whilst applying as a British national would have cost £200 (it seems like it's £500 nowadays). Some benefit!

10. Queso macrumors G4

Par for the course with the current government. They decide on a policy, create a bunch of targets, force it on the Civil Service, change it, create a bunch of targets, force it on the Civil Service, etc. etc etc. It's the same in every area of the public sector. Nobody knows from one day to the next what they're supposed to be doing, then ministers try and pretend there's nothing wrong.

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I really think that it's about time Gordon Brown accepted the fact that he's Scottish, and that most people outside 'Westminster Village / the ruling elite' are not in the slightest bit interested in his being Scottish, and dropped this 'Britishness' bollocks he's so determined to enforce on us. A 'British Day', British flags and now swearing allegiance to the Queen - that's not the Britain that I live in or want to live in.

12. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

13. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

I was watching BBC News 24 this morning and this woman made the idiotic suggestion that we should take a leaf from America’s book with regards to the loyalty and patriotism of their society. Yeah, that’s exactly what we want.

Stuff like this really incenses me; watching so called ‘experts’ actually discussing, giving the time of day to this idea and taking it seriously. Anyone with even a modicum of intelligence and in possession of elementary critical thinking skills should be able to tear the whole infantile concept (along with the justifications for its proposal) to shreds.

If we really have reached the stage where it's believed we can only achieve societal cohesion and acceptance of others based purely on the fact that they’re ok because ‘they’re British too’ then God* help us.

*God and all any concepts tied to him are ludicrous, unsubstantiated and fundamentally unworkable. All prayers will not be recorded. Access to the afterlife is subject to quixotic terms and conditions.

14. Queso macrumors G4

It's just the standard New Labour mantra applied to a different area. Don't actually tackle the problem. Just spin, spin and spin again...

15. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

The science/art of disinformation (and the hands within which effective dissemination of it resides) is one of the most destructive forces in the world today. Its insidiousness and pervasiveness really cannot be overstated.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Fsck that for a game of conkers! What an arrogant, idiotic, undeserved and inappropriate idea.

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I don't get how allegiance to your Queen has something to do with American Patriotism...

18. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

How do you enforce allegiance to the Queen?

"You, subject. Peel one a grape."

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A spell in The Tower usually does the trick.

20. Apemanblues macrumors regular

Apemanblues

Another day, another self important wanker suggesting a load of old bollocks that's never gonna happen.

Same old same old.

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

To be fair, it'd do our chances of winning Eurovision the world of good.

22. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Swear allegiance to a non-democratically elected monarch... hmm, am I missing something? I don't care particularly having the queen for the wierdo* yankee tourists who wanna go see her big house but I ain't swearing obedience to her, thanks anyway.

* No offence guys :D

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

True. But given my current circumstances, I'll be the first up those steps if doing so lets me stay here in the UK. I'm a whore. :p

24. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

They're both admission of subservience to an arbitrary and illegitimate authority; "For Queen and country". Pledging allegiance to any monarch is, in my mind, as idiotic as pledging allegiance to any flag.

What it has, specifically, to do with the story is that the woman I was referring to saw the idea as beneficial to societal cohesion and brought up the example of how patriotism achieves this in America. Which it does, in a very superficial and often harmful way. It's a very effective control mechanism, and also very detrimental to the achievement of any free, rational society.

25. bartelby thread starter macrumors Core

Time for Wales to go totally independent!