Alliance of American Football (AAF)

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
So a new football league begins this weekend. Are you going to watch it?

Some rule changes...

1. No kickoffs. Teams will get the ball on the 25.
2. No onside kicks. Teams will be given the ball on their own 28. It is fourth and 12. Must convert in order to maintain possession.
3. Must go for 2 point conversion after touchdowns.
4. Field goals only in regulation, not allowed in OT.
5. There is an extra ref in the press boxes that can call penalties that the on field refs miss.
6. Playclock is 35 seconds instead of 40.
7. In OT, each team gets one possession. It is first and goal from the 10. Games can end in ties.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/...league-christian-hackenberg-alliance-american

Reactions: Huntn and pachyderm

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Seems they are allowed to hit in this league. That QB took a shot!

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Point is this isn't the first attempt. There have been several attempts historically.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So far, I think it is ok. I like most of the rule changes, especially the kickoff ones.
It's better than the XFL was. I don't know if it can grab enough attention to last long enough. I won't set my schedule around these games but it's decent.
[doublepost=1549768368][/doublepost]
Point is this isn't the first attempt. There have been several attempts historically.
This one has actual NFL people behind it.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
It's better than the XFL was. I don't know if it can grab enough attention to last long enough. I won't set my schedule around these games but it's decent.
Even the NFL couldn't get enough attention after several years in the UK, and there's plenty of young folk there, believe it or not, who enjoy American football and baseball.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Even the NFL couldn't get enough attention after several years in the UK, and there's plenty of young folk there, believe it or not, who enjoy American football and baseball.
Sadly the NFL still wants a team there.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Sadly the NFL still wants a team there.
I think it could work. American football is surprisingly popular in some parts of Germany and northern Europe. I've drawn back from pro sports except football (the actual one) and maybe F1. I prefer college sports for the other sports.
[doublepost=1549768619][/doublepost]
Agree, plus McMahon wants to bring back the XFL next year.
Yeah, caught that a while back. Pro sports could always use more diversity/teams.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I think it could work. American football is surprisingly popular in some parts of Germany and northern Europe.
I don’t see how a single team would be viable in Europe. The travel and time zone changes just don’t make it practical.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I don’t see how a single team would be viable in Europe. The travel and time zone changes just don’t make it practical.
Single? Are you referring to the UK? The Germans have a 16 team league. It's been around for a long time.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
NFL teams in London.
Ah. Honestly, my personal opinion is that it's a crap shoot. The MLB would have better luck in setting up a minor league there than the NFL does a minor league or even a NCAA style setup. I'd argue the football to rugby relation is a problem, but the AFL and Rugby coexist perfectly down under.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Actually it was 2.9
This week, the Saturday primetime ratings were dominated by CBS and the Alliance of American Football, starting off strong with a pregame show at 8 p.m. that rated a 0.8 in adults 18-49. From there, the network broadcasted the Orlando Apollos vs. Atlanta Legends, and the San Antonio Commanders vs. San Diego Fleet, for an average score of 0.9 with 2.91 million viewers.

ABC came in second with a more conventional sports broadcast, leading their programming for the night with “NBA Countdown” for a 0.5, which was one-tenth of a point lower than its score last week. Right on the heels of “Countdown” was the Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Houston Rockets, bringing home a 0.7 for ABC. Last week, the top performing game had been the Lakers vs. Warriors at 1.0.

NBC and FOX took the night off, with reruns of “America’s Got Talent” (0.7) and “Saturday Night Live” (0.6) for the former, and “9-1-1” (0.3) and “The Passage” (0.2) for the latter.
Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 1.35.46 PM.png

[doublepost=1549824121][/doublepost]Interesting tidbit, AAF games will also air on NFL Network.

Reactions: pachyderm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.