Alligator Drags Toddler Into Lagoon Near Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Jun 14, 2016.

1. MadeTheSwitch, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

2. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

3. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

As a father of a 2 yr old, this is heart breaking.

4. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It really is. I can't imagine how horrific this was. Especially at a place you expect to be safe and protected. It's not like they were in the wilds of the Everglades.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Horrible story, but gators aren't just an Everglades creature. They're all over Florida. One snatched a jogger a few years ago.

6. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes, but they don't tend to do that at Disneyworld. I imagine Disney has an eradication program in place.

7. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

They come in threes. The parents are no doubt devistated. What a horrible thing to happen at the World.

8. Robisan macrumors 6502

Pretty much. They eradicate all the money in your wallet and credit cards.

9. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So, as I understand it from the news report I just saw, Disney warns people not to swim in the lake. But according to this site http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/why-no-swimming-rule-disney-water, that seems to be more for brain eating amoeba problems than gators. Wow. Florida is a very dangerous place. I had no idea these things were issues at Disneyworld!

10. Robisan macrumors 6502

Evidently that's a statewide problem in Florida. Probably a major export item to Texas too.

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

Article says they didn't heed the no swimming sign.

12. kapolani macrumors 6502

I can't even imagine.

I can't imagine what the parents were thinking to let their kid near the water.

My parents retired and moved to Savannah, Georgia. They live on a lagoon. I've seen 6 ~ 7 footers swimming in the lagoon.

Screw that.

13. kdarling, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    As a father, I can imagine what the poor family is going through. Of all places, people expect Disney to be safe. (The sign only said no swimming. It did not warn against wading one foot from shore or about gators.)

To Floridians, while more sad news, it's not a surprise. Nuisance gators are everywhere, and it's accepted that you stay away from lagoons like this. The trouble is, Nebraskans would have no idea to do the same, especially without a gator warning sign like many places (even ditches next to stores) have in Florida.

Something similar happens out West, where adult joggers who've moved in from coastal cities, often get attacked by mountain lions. Newcomers have no idea that jogging in the hills and rocks can be deadly.

Every part of the country has its own native dangers. For example, where I live in the Northeast, you watch out for mother bears and cubs in the woods. Run across them, and you could have a very bad day.

All that said, I would bet that Disney will now have trappers routinely scour their bodies of water, and will put up better signs.

14. caesarp, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016

caesarp macrumors 6502a

Its my understanding that the alligator was neither muslim nor toddler-phobic. The motive is unknown at this time.

Family members of the alligator are shocked as they raised their off spring to only eat things that didn't wear clothes. Reports are being looked into as to whether the alligator's wife did accompany him on trips to the lagoon on prior instances.

The suspect alligator was born in Florida, but it is believed his family immigrated from South America.

Although some are now calling for bans on sharp teeth, others are pointing out its an alligator problem, not a teeth problem. The teeth didn't work by themselves, did they?

15. FieldingMellish Suspended

Is this an example of a better sign?

16. kapolani macrumors 6502

Look at it like what it is; a bigotry.

Consider. Alligators don't grow up hating just swimmers or Redskin's fans. They're taught that. Well, OK, I know first hand hating Redskins fans did come naturally but the rest has to be taught.
    Alligator-lam teaches hatred of the 'other' same as any other alligator religion only Alligator-lam has adhered more strongly to it's fundamentalism than the Western alligator faiths. This alligator wasn't radicalized. He was taught from an early age to hate swimmers.

As it happens, he was a swimmer as well so, he had that internal struggle to deal with. Finally, his life sucked so bad, being stuck in the water, not wanting to be a swimmer, fundamentalist father, all of that, he decided he wanted to do something BIG with his life and he referred back to the bigotry of his childhood, well taught, and he went and killed the thing that tormented him; his attraction to other swimmers. He got right with his god as he saw it.

This is a tragic intersection of bigotry and self loathing. It's not his fault. He was taught to hate swimmers, and others, at an early age. This is Alligator-lam fault.

17. FieldingMellish Suspended

You have a Disney cartoon script right there. Maybe start pitching it.

18. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The lawsuit for this will be potentially record-breaking. Maybe a billion dollars?

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Climate change. Climate change is forcing the alligators out of their natural habitat and into Disney World. If we don't eliminate fossil fuels we'll all be eaten by potential purses and cowboy boots.

20. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

No, because if the toddler was armed with his own missile launcher this wouldn't have happened...Benghazi and emails....hence.

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Well they should have informed the alligators they are not allowed at Disney. Poor kid no searching will find him.

22. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I'm complete appalled at some of the posts here.

You guys have sunk to new lows and should be ashamed of yourselves.

23. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Need a safe space?

24. FieldingMellish Suspended

Times read that 4 alligators were killed in the search as of publishing.