allofmp3.com

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Now we know, as loyal Apple followers, that iTunes is the MacRumors officially sanctioned source for our digital music. But do people use http://www.allofmp3.com/ at all? As far as I can work out it's a bit of a bargain. What I'm not entirely sure of is its legality - campared to iTunes, it is ridiculously cheap ($0.20 for a song, often cheaper) - how can this be?

I like the fact that you can choose what level of compression you want, and you pay accordingly (nothing wrong with that). It's a little non-user-friendly when it comes to downloading, but if you know what you're up to then it's no problem.

Thoughts?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It uses a loophole in Russian law that makes it legal (there). Rest assured there are plenty of external sources trying to legally shut them down, but for the moment (they've been around a while) they're "legit".

However, chances of me dropping my credit card/personal information KNOWINGLY on a Russian site.. 0.00000000%

Applespider

macrumors G4
It takes advantage of a Russian loophole that the police there have said isn't a loophole and are trying to close them down. Then again, they've been trying for years but they probably have bigger fish to fry. So it's not strictly legal, no.

I've never used it myself since the thought of sending my credit card details to a Russian site operating outside the law makes me a little nervous. :eek:

EDIT: Despite the time difference, I wrote this before seeing yellow's response. Great minds? :p

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
yellow said:
However, chances of me dropping my credit card/personally information KNOWINGLY on a Russian site.. 0.00000000%
Ah, I thought there'd be a catch. Yes, tis a bit risky - although you could minimise your risks by just using one credit card and watching it very carefully. If you have nerves of steel! :rolleyes: methinks I might give it a miss.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Applespider said:
It takes advantage of a Russian loophole that the police there have said isn't a loophole and are trying to close them down. Then again, they've been trying for years but they probably have bigger fish to fry. So it's not strictly legal, no.

I've never used it myself since the thought of sending my credit card details to a Russian site operating outside the law makes me a little nervous. :eek:

EDIT: Despite the time difference, I wrote this before seeing yellow's response. Great minds? :p
Just because it is legal to buy and smoke some drugs in one country, and the company making the sale is completely legit there.

Doesn't exactly mean you can have a few ounces ordered and delivered to your door and thumb the nose at the DEA.

Of course if you want to download a song and share it with people for free on your computer, you might be tempting fate.

Don't worry the RIAA will probably lobby Congress and have a rider included to really mess people up at some point.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I use it. You pay by the bandwidth to download it. It's a nice service. No DRM, but yes, the source is shady, that's why I use a credit card with a spending limit.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I also have a credit card that has a spending limit and I watch for anything fishy. I've never heard of anyone being ripped of by allofmp3 before.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
More that I'm afraid that I will suddenly be purchasing items that I don't actually get to use.

If anyone who uses it wants to grab "The Wait" by Killing Joke for me, I'll send you 2x the price it costs. :)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
w/iTMS bands get money from the downloads and because sales are tracked they could potentially use those numbers at the bargaining table for future record deal.

Bands get nothing at all if you buy thru a source like allofmp3.com.

I'd probably rather just pull a song from P2P than give money to a company who's business model is to rip-off the bands whose<sp?> music they sell.

Lethal

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
LethalWolfe said:
w/iTMS bands get money from the downloads and because sales are tracked they could potentially use those numbers at the bargaining table for future record deal.
That's a good point - I did wonder how, if at all, any revenue would make its way back to the artists.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Lacero said:
I use it. You pay by the bandwidth to download it. It's a nice service. No DRM, but yes, the source is shady, that's why I use a credit card with a spending limit.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

that's something i don't really get. if you believe the deal is only halflegal or illegal why do you pay for it? i mean if you accept a shady deal you might as well get the music for free.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Seems you don't need to give them your credit card info.
Wiki said:
The store maintains an account balance for each user. The account can be replenished using various payment methods, including through Xrost.com prepaid cards (which in turn can be funded through Paypal), so that no credit card information has to be revealed to AllofMP3.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
yellow said:
If anyone who uses it wants to grab "The Wait" by Killing Joke for me, I'll send you 2x the price it costs. :)
Ooh! Great song, great album too! I have it.

I've been using Allofmp3 for a couple years now on the same credit card and everything has gone perfectly. I normally buy CDs, but there are those few songs that you want, but don't want to get the whole CD for. I hate the DRM on any music service, and I don't like P2P programs because with allofmp3, you can pick your bitrate and file type.

Fishes,
narco.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Get a NetSpend card. That way, you put 20 bucks or whatever on it, and it acts like a credit card with no trace back to your actual bank accounts, and thus, the Russians do not appear in those Citi commercials of identity theft.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
With my Citi card, it has a virtual credit card number generator that is one time use up to a predefined limit.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
The point is not that they are ripping of the consumers, the point is that they are PIRATES!!

None of this money will ever been seen by the artists who made the music, it's the on-line equivalent of buying DVD-r's from a bloke in the market.

If you're happy to pirate music on P2P then you probably won't care much about stealing from the bands and artists by buying from this site, but don't fool yourself, simply because you are paying for this doesn't make it any better.

The BPI in the UK are seeking legal recourse against the site via the Russian government.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
WinterMute said:
The point is not that they are ripping of the consumers, the point is that they are PIRATES!!

By Russian law, they're NOT pirates. What they are doing is 100% legal.

Applespider

macrumors G4
yg17 said:
By Russian law, they're NOT pirates. What they are doing is 100% legal.
In Russia... and it's slightly grey there. But regardless of whether you approve of record companies or not, you should care that some of the money from your purchase goes to the musicians or why should they bother? The cash from this goes to a grey organisation in Russia so isn't even helping out the local economy as with Wintermute's example of the DVD-Rs in the local market. :rolleyes: