Allowing iTunes to copy to Media Folder... Control freak or just good sense?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Timmo78, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Timmo78 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide for myself what the best practice might be.. at least, for my needs.

My current predicament... sees my old Macbook running iTunes, where I've specifically told it NOT to manage my media. That is, I don't want it to copy the media to its own Media Folder location.

My primary reason for this is because I'd like to organise and arrange my media to my taste, and use certain folder structures to organise things. One reason is that I'm constantly reviewing all kinds of incoming music that may or may not make the cut (I work as a DJ on the side, so I'm I'd also like to ensure my media is where I want it to be - especially in the context of other DJ software that may or may not be iTunes friendly).

That said.. I haven't quite crossed over into the world of laptop dj just yet.. so I don't know if iTunes integration is necessarily a "good thing".

Am I better off just letting iTunes manage my media, and making extensive use of playlists to do what I need?

Right now I'm in the process of migrating to a new laptop. And of course, migrating my iTunes library might not be so easy - for the reason that iTunes isn't in control of my media. That is... If I copy across my old iTunes profile, it's not going to find all my media, simply because the path may not be the same. Thus, all kinds of things will probably be broken (ratings, album covers, etc). I guess that's the peril of doing things my way.

What's a guy to do! Is there a better way? Should I just give in and let iTunes do its thing?

How do other laptop dj's organise their collections?

Apologies for the long post...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I very much prefer my own method of music file/folder organization over the method iTunes uses. I never let iTunes manage my files. I have very specific standards for filenames and folder structure. iTunes isn't anywhere near as organized.