All's not lost...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoyBach, Jul 1, 2007.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

BBC News link

The Obligatory YouTube link!

It's not an exaggeration to say that this story makes me feel a lot more hopeful about the future of humanity.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/newsreader explains hilton refusal_1035833

Good on her. :)

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

4. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Be interesting to hear reaction from her father, Zbigniew Brzezinski, National Security Advisor to President Jimmy Carter.

5. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I hope you're joking.

The only people worse than the writers of the stories are the people who actively take part in viewing them.

Good on her! The only think required for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Paris is evil.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Serious journalist vs. Joe Scarborough

Apparently MSNBC anchor Mika Brzezinski absolutely refused to lead the news with a Paris Hilton story the other day, much to the dismay of Joe Scarborough and her producer. She actually got so frustrated with their insistence on putting Hilton before the Iraq war that she attempted to burn part of her script.

The imbroglio ended up making Think Progress and YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul3zgUfSgqY

All I can say it, I hope they don't fire her over this. I think she deserves a raise and a promotion. And Scarborough and the other idiot come across looking like a couple of asshats.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what's the deal with the statments like "what a journalist" and "this is the state of journalism in this country." those guys are behaving like horses' asses. god forbid any newsreader care about the news they're reading!

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

No matter what story anyone thinks should have been first. That woman acted completely unprofessional. She makes at least 6 figures and should read whats in front of her. MSNBC isn't her personal news organization.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

because i have OG on ignore, i can't see his post. but i feel it's apporpriate for me to post this in response:

yeah, a woman should know her place.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This doesnt have anything to do with being male or female.

11. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Not everyone is for sale. How much she makes is not the issue.

The issue is she wanted to lead the news with news. Her co-stars and producers wanted to lead with Paris Hilton.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah, I don't know if you have any employees but if you pay someone to do something they should probably do it.

Here is an article from the [url="http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1501119/story.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10448638]New Zealand Herald[/url] of all places.

13. furious macrumors 65816

furious

I would never expect or force someone to do something however small against their will.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well it wouldn't be called work if you get to do whatever you want. They're not asking her to do anyting illegal. That anchor is there to read whats in front of her and has been hired to do so. When she gets her own show then she can lead with whatever she wants.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

How come we can talk about her being "unprofessional" when the network was being unprofessional? If MSNBC wants to lead with Paris Hilton, then they should categorize their network alongside E! and Style, instead of pretending any resemblance to a news network.

Yeah, I think Brzezinski gave it away when her second story was about PowerBook G5s coming Tuesday. :rolleyes:

16. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

All I got from it is that she didn't want any more Paris Hilton nonsense and Joe and his producer merely just messed with her like an older brother does to his sister. It's a lighthearted segment, so I disagree with the notion that Joe and his producers were being mean or towing the corporate line. But, then again, I actually watch the program and don't get my info from internet think tanks.

Edit: How can you take what Joe and Willie Geist said seriously? They were obviosuly joking around.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, I've watched Joe before a few times as well, and they were obviously messing with her. I'm not saying it was right, it was kinda rude, but based on his previous comments about the subject, he probably agrees with her and some of that was sarcasm. Plus, he knows his place, so he had to at least act like her cared about the Paris story. Which he obviously didn't since they wound up skipping it and going straight to Iraq. Which he has been a big vocal critic of, despite once being a supporter. I will agree that he was being jerky to her, though the fact that she didn't get too angry at him makes me agree with you OnceUGoMac.

And yes, producers are important, but the on air talent has a lot more say than most "employees" as og wants to put it. She may not have gone about it in the right way, but I doubt her bosses are really mad at her for boosting their ratings temporarily. And based on the laughing, though I don't know about the other guy and maybe he was just uncomfortable, Joe seemed to be enjoying it. I wouldn't be surprised if he mentions it on his own show later on.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And so I take it you are against the movement to allow doctors and pharmacists to deny birth control or "morning after" pills to women?

I mean, Rite-Aid isn't their personal pharmacy, is it?

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes she should, since journalistic integrity at the network would definitely leave with her.

Some stories aren't news, they are just ratings boosters put on the air to avoid talking about real news. Like whether or not the astronaut wore a diaper. :rolleyes:

Bumping real news for Paris, perish the thought.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I laughed when I read about this. Frankly, it's brilliant. I want news not celebrity gossip.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well yeah. If the drug is legal then why deny someone. Better the morning after than late term. If someone owns the pharmacy then they can choose not to carry the drug.

That anchor wasn't in the position to make decisions like that on-air. What if a apple employee at an apple store told you to wait a month before buying your macbook pro because new versions were coming out? They'd get fired. And why don't they do that? Because they respect apple and they want their job.

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well we should all do as we're told right? even if it is work. :rolleyes:

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

As long as it's legal, yeah pretty much. Quitting in protest is certainly an option as well though, if your principles can't take it.

24. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Why are we, by association, defending Paris Hilton?

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You clearly don't understand how this kind of thing works. Go watch some Murphy Browne reruns, it's remarkably similar to how things really are in this business. I mean, sure, there are some guidelines that come from corporate, and the producers have really important jobs, usually with final say so. But on air talent gets to get away with this type of thing usually if it doesn't affect the bottom line. No one is going to complain about her being "unprofessional" because how professional is it to talk about Paris Hilton when there's a war going on? She isn't some lowly peon employee either, so once again your analogy is completely wrong. It would be more like Jobs saying something. Sure, the board members and stock holders could do something. But there's a pretty good chance they won't, for obvious reasons. Same with her. I would be surprised if they let her go, even if the producers were fuming. Unless corporate, or someone higher up, like Joe himself, wanted her gone, she's probably not going anywhere. And he seemed to be getting a kick out of it. Ratings went up too, so I'm guessing corporate was happy.

Joe was still being a jerk, but yeah, I still think he was being somewhat sarcastic and messing with her, because I still think he wholeheartedly agrees based on his previous statements over similar subjects.