Alpha Women Unable to Love

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I just saw an interesting article discussing a new book "The Alpha Female's Guide to Men in Marriage".

In it, they claim that the alpha women is unyielding and that hurts their personal relationships at the same time helping them out professionally.

After reading the article which contains excerpts from the book, do you think the author makes her point or is she wrong ?

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

we are all our own worst enemies when it comes to relationships. relationships will always suffer if anyone is more selfish then the other. woman or man. just because women have had to yield more in history did not make he relationships better.

3. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

Agreed, but the female author claims that there are differences between alpha males and alpha females in relationships. I don't think she's saying it's a bad thing but that the alpha women have to decide what's important for them.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

This comes down that women are now the bread winners and want the men to bread winners too. Women are also cheating on husbands and trying to trade up relationships!

5. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

No idea why anybody would even waste time on alpha women. Maybe beta women, sure, if you're a developer and need to see which features have remained compatible with your software. But I stick to GM folk myself; the stability is worth it.

You do have to wait when a public release goes live because download speeds drop as everybody else starts updating.

6. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

One word Hypergamy!!

With the change in society and the decline of men, women are in a place they have never been. Women earn 60% of bachelor degrees, and the number are even worse for black men as black women earn twice as many degrees. Educated black women are having a very hard time finding black men to marry, it's hard to marry up when you are already at the top of the food chain.

Men on the other hand have one rule.

A good read below about the black community but it applies to other as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ege-educated-females-black-women-spouses.html

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Sorry. this is ********. Women fight for equality. This is a hit-piece on them (possibly) achieving it. I'm a man, and we (as men) have done a bunch of bad stuff (to be polite). Thx Fox news...

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Quite apart from anything, the idea of alpha somebody fails to recognise the various kinds of power in a typical work environment. I don't really think 'alpha's' exist. I do think narcissists exist.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

"Alpha" is usually code for *******. So yeh, being an ******* will affect your relationships.

11. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

You don't have to be Alpha to be strong.

12. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Alpha? Beta? You have got to be kidding me. Aldous, is that you?

I wouldn't have used those words, but yes.

13. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

How do you define "alpha"? I usually hear it used by folks who aspire to have a… particular personality (not saying you're one of 'em).

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

But why use that terminology (derived - in this context - from the toxic vocabulary and mindset of the PUA world - or indeed, Aldous Huxley) in that case? Do you subscribe to it?

15. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Slightly off topic: I wonder how being both the alpha and the omega affected Christ's ability to love. Perhaps one's personality must span the Greek alphabet to truly love all.

16. Plutonius, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017

Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

Not at all. This is a discussion about Alpha women and the poster asked "what does everyone have against strong women". I replied that Alpha (both male and female) has nothing to do with being strong.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

But given that your thread title used that term, what did you mean?

18. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I was using the term alpha in the terms the article / book was using.

19. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

20. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

21. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

It was from the article title. As far as I can tell from the article / book excerpts, the author is claiming that an alpha women should excel in a career but that the same traits that help her in the career, will make anything outside her career much more difficult.

Being a male and single (i.e. not married to an alpha) :), I can only go by what is written.

Did you have a chance to read the article and did you agree with any of it ?

22. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

And how would you define it in your own words? If we're not all on the same page here, there cannot be much of a discussion.

23. Gutwrench macrumors 68000

Gutwrench

I'm divorced now, but when we got married I made it very clear that if she didn't like the way I cooked her food, made her bed, cleaned her house, or ironed her clothes...she could just do it herself!

24. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

You actually did any of that? Oh my gosh, I'm bad at sarcasm... Still. Or was it sarcasm at all?!?

Bah!

25. BasicGreatGuy, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

In my opinion, the author of the book does a lot of projecting her dysfunctional background onto women at large, and using said projection as a means to lend credibility to her supposition.

In regards to the subject at hand, (of men and women relationships) it all comes down to respect for self and your partner. If you don't respect yourself and the one you care about / love, you will cross boundaries in yourself and in your relationship that should not be crossed, and will be the impetus for strife and discord. And when that happens, balance is lost and the relationship becomes toxic and uneven.

If I respect myself and the woman I love whomever she ends up being (I wish she would stop being lost and find me. Maybe use an app for that. ;) I will take care to listen to that inner voice within me, as well as the lady that has my eyes and heart. I will seek her counsel, not because she is seen as an alpha by those who love clinging to labels and excuses, but rather because I value myself, her, and our relationship so much so, that I seek to do all that I can do protect it, nurture it, and help blossom it into a stronger, deeper entity.

Healthy relationships are more about listening than they are about being focused on taking some kind of action. So many people are caught up in (read: lost) being busy with all that can be crammed into a day, that they ultimately get lost inside themselves as well as their relationship And before long, one of the people (or both) in the relationship wake up not knowing who they are, what they want, or where they are going on their own journey as well as the relationship.

When is the last time you allowed yourself to be quiet? When is the last time you looked at your wife or girlfriend, and listened to her heart and soul, your eyes drinking up her unspoken words quenching the thirst of your own soul with such longing, you felt your inner self cry tears of joy?