already have iPad 1, getting iPad 2 soon, but what Android tablet to get?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kiersten, May 27, 2011.

1. Kiersten macrumors newbie

I currently have two first generation iPads. (one that I carry around, plus one semi permanantely installed in my car using a custom-made center console)

I will sell or give both of them away to family members as soon as the iPad 2 that I ordered arrives.

I also plan to get an Android tablet, so I can have both iPad 2 and Android tablet at the same time.

What's the best Android tablet out there for someone like me who's used to the ipad 1(and soon iPad 2)?

Thanks! :)

2. teksurv macrumors regular

Asus Transformer if you can find one. As someone with an iPad and who has tried multiple Android tablets, let me say they aren't ready yet. However the Transformer is the one to get IMO.

3. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

4. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Either of the above suggestions are the ones I would choose today.

5. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

I'd love to see photos of that!

6. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

None at all.

Get an HP Touchpad instead. You're not lacking in the tablet department, and that's the most interesting and unique tablet to come out until the iPad 3. It's definitely the best non-iPad-tablet I can possibly think of right now.

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Just out of curiosity: Why do you need two tablets?

8. penfan82 macrumors regular

Do what I did get an android phone and a iPad best of both

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Could always get a Windows tablet then use that to sync the iPad too, and be able to run iTunes on to create and edit the things on that you can't do on the iPad then sync the changes back onto the iPad.
    :D

10. Kiersten thread starter macrumors newbie

Funny you should mention that.... after careful consideration and playing with both the Asus and Acer tablets(plus previous experience with the little 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab), I will not get an Android tablet. It's not that I don't
    like Android. On the contrary, I have two iPad 1s, but I replaced my iPhone 4
    with a Samsung Galaxy phone recently because I prefer the Android OS on
    phones. The Asus and Acer tablets are not very well made, in terms of
    build quality and material.

I came to the conclusion that a Windows tablet is the best fit for my uses.
    (to add to my iPad 2) Now I'll just have to see what Microsoft comes up
    with when they introduce their Windows tablet in California. :)

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed, whilst the thought of Windows on a Tablet is enough to make people's heads explode at this moment in time, it's going to be interesting what Msoft come up with in the long run. Given their massive OS experience over the past decades I'm sure they easily have the abilities within the company to pull something great out of the hat. If this happens in reality of course, only time will tell.
    Of course, it would be a massive boost to be able to work in the office or play games on your console, and then have some connection between these devices and your tablet device.

If nothing else it's going to be interesting to see.

12. Kiersten thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't believe I've never thought about this: what doesn't Apple make a Mac OS tablet? (10" perhaps?) :confused:

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Windows tablets has existed since at least 2001.

And yet the market for tablets have only just exploded with the iPad.

Hopefully you can perceive the answer in the above two facts.

14. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

Transformer is very cool ended up selling it miss the bookmarks on the tol bar.but a very nice tablet.

15. ph00ny macrumors member

same thing with smartphones

palm and winmo existed in those spaces long before iphone arrived and made it suitable for normal consumers

I would wait for the second half of this year for higher res display and kal-el (nvidia's quad core solution)

16. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

17. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

Weird question to ask here...

I played with a Transformer today at Staples, they had plenty. The quality felt very cheap and plasticy. It also had a heavy lag, but that was maybe because it was a floor model. I couldn't get over the very cheap build.

18. vw195 macrumors 6502

Get an older galaxy tab or nook color. Their form factors are 7" which is a totally different feel. Kind of awesome.

Edit: Just read your past post, so ignore my statements :p

19. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

20. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The Asus Transformer has the Honeycomb 3.1 update coming tommorrow. I have it on mine now (thanks to a press preview). No store display that I know of will have a Wifi connection, so they'll all be running the first version of 3.0 they came with. It is amazing how much better they run with 3.1, and they come with a Movie Maker app, Kindle app, and Zinio app, as well as all the other new features 3.1 brings. I've also got the Acer Iconia Tab, which should be getting 3.1 sometime later in June. I've looked at specs and prices for all the other tablets out there, and have to strongly suggest that for price and features the Asus is the one to get.

The ONLY reason to consider another brand is if you need one with 3G data access. You'll be asked to sign up for a capped 2-year plan though.