Already used one of my AC+ replacements....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dark, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Dark macrumors regular

Already needed to use one of my AC+ replacements yesterday. The problem with this new iPhone is that while the glass is much less damage prone due to it sitting flush in the frame, the soft aluminum frame is much more damage prone.

My phone suffered a small drop and landed on the bottom left corner. Completely warped the aluminum frame around the headphone jack, rendering it unusable.

Also, I thought that without having a case the scratch-prone black aluminum anodizing would be safe from the scuffs caused by trapped debris. It Didn't matter, the anodizing flaked away on the beveled edges from regular use.

Really don't feel like rocking an ugly case but I may have to if the frame damages that easily. USERS BEWARE.

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Yikes! Stinks that you had to pay and use a warranty for something silly like poor material choice....

In any event, I'm glad I have AC+ and I'm glad you got a new phone.

I rock an ugly case :(

3. gapperonduty macrumors 6502

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

This is a lesson I'm surprised Apple has not learned yet. It's not like they haven't had a lot of experience with aluminum frames:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/partmonkey/5690100847/

I love everything about the iPhone 5 except its fragility. I put it in a case (Incase Slider); it doesn't look quite as awesome but I feel a lot more confident handling it and feel like if I drop it, I won't end up in tears.

Amazing tech. Lousy durability. But then it's been like that for years with Apple. Again, look at the above photo.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Weird. There were several drop tests online showing how durable the 5 is.

6. cababah macrumors 68000

"durable" for the iPhone 5 is regarding the likelihood of the glass screen cracking. If you lump frame bending in that category, then it is most certainly not durable.

most materials are either brittle or ductile so pick one..you want it to bend more easily in a drop or be able to take a bigger impact with it cracking as a result?

7. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Not having a case-no matter how ugly you think it is, it just not smart-with any expensive device.

8. darngooddesign, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

darngooddesign macrumors G3

No, most metals flex before deforming; they do not sit at either extreme you mentioned. Android Authority ran some drop tests at various heights, including ear-height onto cement and it did better than the Galaxy 3. They had no issue with frame bending.

I'm not doubting the Op was unlucky, but I haven't heard of this being an issue.

9. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Yes true, so their three drops should be a true representation of all drops from all angels. SO you bent it yourself on purpose (obviously just to sully apples good name.) as proven by the drop test.:cool::rolleyes:

You sir should be ashamed of yourself.

10. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I put a clear case on it, because if I even exhaust through one AppleCare+ Replacement, I know I am clumsy, and will feel like crap. My iPhone 4, I have dropped only twice, but both times, it came back in perfect condition.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I said that the OP was unlucky, I did not say the OP was lying.

If there was a design flaw witht he aluminum that made the the antenna band warp from normal drops, then there would be a large number of threads and compaints like there were over the 4/4S glass back shattering from drops.

Why would I be ashamed?

12. AJAAY macrumors regular

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to putting your phone into a case or not. It's all about personal preference.

Insurance was invented for a reason.

13. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Right, to make insurance companies money. A $30 case that will take 50 drops and not damage a phone is smarter-by all measures-than the same phone without a case being replaced-insurance or not-multiple times.

14. AJAAY macrumors regular

That's not guaranteed. Your phone can be ruin with one drop, even in a case. (Just the act of dropping a phone can ruin the internals, even if there is no outside physical damage) You can damage your phone just by putting on a case, or also having a case on it. (There is another thread about the Otterbox damaging some guys phone) A case isn't a one solution answer to protecting your phone.

You're making case manufacturers money by buying their cases, thinking it will protect your phone, when in reality you are just "hoping" it will protect it in an event of a drop. And if you were to drop your phone, and its damaged in THEIR case, they are not liable. So now this precious case you spent $$$ on is ruin, and your phone is ruin and you have no recourse (except buy another phone full price). At least with insurance you can get another phone with little to no cost.

Bottom line, it's a mobile device. There moment you pick it up and go about your life, their is risk of damage from all different directions. Putting a case on it is personal preference, and has nothing to do with it being a "smart" choice.

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

That is why I use a case as well as insurance. The case is to protect from drops, and the insurance is there in case the case didn't save it.

16. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I've found cases to be much more damaging to devices. Much better off just taking care of it.

17. cababah macrumors 68000

Do you think that statement is fair to apply to ALL cases or just a select few that you have experience with?

18. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I think its fair to say that about most cases, since all they do is trap dust and moisture on the surface of the device...while using it naked wipes all that off with use. Anytime I've had a case on a phone for a prolonged period and took it off the surface is typically disgusting, and in one case actually ruined my screen.

19. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Actually that's not quite "all a case does", you forgot a kind of important thing cases do besides trap dirt inside, like, oh, I don't know, saving the phone from accidental drops? :)

20. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I use a case that doesn't touch the screen portion at all, only wraps the sides and the back, and it's clear. I don't use a screen protector though for I find the glass more than sufficient protection against scratches.

21. dieburnbot, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I feel your pain. My phone was about 2 weeks old and my 2 year old nephew flung it off the table about 1.5 ft and now the aluminum on the edge has a small nick. I've learned to live with it, but it's annoying that such a simple fall can cause damage.

22. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

A MacBook is not built with the assumption that users will be dropping them off tables.

23. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Right, all the people who have dropped their phone with a case on and what, maybe less than 5% ended up with damage? This is really a poor argument. And what insurance plan do you have that gives out new iPhone 5's with little to no cost?????