Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mechanicus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
I'm planning on buying a 2G touch Saturday and I need to know how is the battery. I'm hearing reports that some people are getting like 3 hours of life combined (I realize screen brightness, wifi, etc. affect it). From what I've been searching around for it seems that most people are getting much lower than that is expected even factoring in wifi, video, etc. Is it seriously that bad? Also is this a firmware (I thought that Apple fixed a battery issue with the 2.0 update) or is it a hardware thing that apple will resolve with changing to a difference company/design, etc?

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
I have an iPod Touch 2nd Gen:

11 hours of video playback with everything off or on lowest setting (brightness, volume, Wi-Fi, EQ, ect.).

4 hours of video playback if everything is on or on high (brightness, Wi-Fi, volume, ect).

36-40 hours of music playback, if it's locked and everything in the settings is off/on low.

12-16 hours of music playback if everything in the settings is on high.

213rules

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
I'm planning on buying a 2G touch Saturday and I need to know how is the battery. I'm hearing reports that some people are getting like 3 hours of life combined (I realize screen brightness, wifi, etc. affect it). From what I've been searching around for it seems that most people are getting much lower than that is expected even factoring in wifi, video, etc. Is it seriously that bad? Also is this a firmware (I thought that Apple fixed a battery issue with the 2.0 update) or is it a hardware thing that apple will resolve with changing to a difference company/design, etc?

that's with wifi on (you can turn it off in settings)

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Yeah... I have the 2G iPod touch as well.

Depending on the game, my battery last 2-5 hours.
If I have wifi off, no music playing, and on the lowest brightness I can get it to last 3.5-7 hours.

If I am just listening to music I can get it to last me a really long time... Say, 25 hours at least.
If there is nothing else going on then like 30-40 hours.
One time I fell asleep listening to my iPod with wifi on and at 25% brightness and it still had an 90% battery!!

When web browsing and using other apps that require wifi it varies on the pages it has to load, signal strenght, and app.
It will usually last a good 6 hours.
If you don't have music playing and the brightness at 0 you may be able to get it to last 8 hours.
I often stay up all night IMing my friends and I still have a battery with at least 60%
Also, the battery may only last 4 hours if you have a low connection.

I haven't really gotten a chance to test out the video.
Well whenever I watch a movie I usually have 80% of my battery afterwards.

You can find out a lot about the battery from a review iLounge gave.
I would copy and paste the link but I am posting this from my iPod.

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
dang, OP. Way to ask the question nicely. Makes me not want to answer..:rolleyes:

I agree. Seriously, you're new to the forum and you're demanding answers... even just the title of the thread is rude.

Don't demand, ask and people will answer if they know.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
dang, OP. Way to ask the question nicely. Makes me not want to answer..:rolleyes:

I agree. Seriously, you're new to the forum and you're demanding answers... even just the title of the thread is rude.

Don't demand, ask and people will answer if they know.

Agreed. The title sounds like the end of the world is nigh. Relax, it's a bloody ipod, not armageddon.

Next time, be nicer, then more of us will answer.

Unfortunately I have to agree with what they just said… your title sounds really aggressive. :eek:
As if you assume everyone here would be lying to you and you therefore demand (never a good word) the Truth™.

Maybe you're just a guy with trust issues.
;)

Mechanicus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
It was not meant in hostility. Don't look so far into it. I have been hearing conflicting information and I'm not about to drop $300 on something without having a sure idea what it is/capable of.

Thank you to those that have responded, and to those shouting "play nice" stop being so sensitive.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
It was not meant in hostility. Don't look so far into it. I have been hearing conflicting information and I'm not about to drop $300 on something without having a sure idea what it is/capable of.

No offense, but what exactly does your $300 investment mean to those you're asking advice from? That's no excuse for rudeness.

Thank you to those that have responded, and to those shouting "play nice" stop being so sensitive.

There's nothing "sensitive" about objecting to obnoxiously and self-importantly titled threads. Take it down a few notches.

Mechanicus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
No offense, but what exactly does your $300 investment mean to those you're asking advice from? That's no excuse for rudeness.

There's nothing "sensitive" about objecting to obnoxiously and self-importantly titled threads. Take it down a few notches.

The point is I'm not being rude. Why this is such an issue I do not know. The others that posted a response apparently didn't have an issue with how I worded the title (Should I throw some flowers in there to make it nice?). It was never ascertained as a negative statement and should not have been taken as one. Again, stop looking so far into it. I asked a question and stated my limitations on the deadline in the title so I could get an answer hopefully before I bought the thing. Instead of getting answer I was looking for (though I thank those that did answer the question) I get half responses about how my thread title is negative and demanding. Did I ever say something like "Hey, Tell me this now" or "You guys are going to answer me on this question"? No. All I said is that "I need to know this now. I'm about to buy a 2G and I need a straight answer." Tell me how that is rude?

archi17

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Australia
The point is I'm not being rude. Why this is such an issue I do not know. The others that posted a response apparently didn't have an issue with how I worded the title (Should I throw some flowers in there to make it nice?). It was never ascertained as a negative statement and should not have been taken as one. Again, stop looking so far into it. I asked a question and stated my limitations on the deadline in the title so I could get an answer hopefully before I bought the thing. Instead of getting answer I was looking for (though I thank those that did answer the question) I get half responses about how my thread title is negative and demanding. Did I ever say something like "Hey, Tell me this now" or "You guys are going to answer me on this question"? No. All I said is that "I need to know this now. I'm about to buy a 2G and I need a straight answer." Tell me how that is rude?

OK i will tell you how it sounds rude. Just reading your thread title made me dislike you to start with without even seeing your post. Then reading your other posts make me dislike you even more.

First of all you say "alright i need to know this now" that sounds very demanding, you could have made it better by saying "I would like to know" or "does any body know..."

Secondly you say "I'm about to get a 2G and i need a straight answer" this sounds like that everyone here has been telling you lies and stuffing you around. But We haven't.

If you dont know that you are being rude than your awareness is poor. And you should go and learn to you sound to other people before coming back here and being aggressive to people that are only here to help.

A N G E L

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Yup, I agree.

I don't have an iPod touch yet, but I'd gladly answer your question if I did have one, even though, I gotta say... your title and post does look rude.

Especially the "I need a straight answer"... it gave me the impression that you were previously lied to or something and you were angry.

And I'd like to think the others are not being insensitive, but are just letting you know what looks wrong in your thread.

hotheadedjonny

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
Agreed with the other posters, you title sounds rude.

It sounds like a demand, and as other people have said, if you don't see that as being rude, you must be a rather rude person without realising it yourself.

darthmaynard

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
CT
I've watched this post the past couple of days as I too, am interested in a Touch and like to hear what people think about it. This post is interesting to see how one is unable to see how their thoughts may be perceived altogether differently from their original intent. Mechanicus, if a lot of people are telling you that you sound rude, take the hint. Even if that's not what you meant, that's how people are hearing it. The forum is a wealth of information and insight, so you have to treat it with extra kindness if you expect to get anywhere. Be glad that folks have taken the time to answer. I've had request for advice that went unanswered despite being polite. Sometimes that's just the way it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.