Alternative Facts are back!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Mar 13, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Nah, she was pretty obviously trying to reference the latest Wikileaks dump of CIA hacking techniques. Those techniques are all about dealing with actual off-the-shelf technology, such as Samsung's latest internet-connected TVs.

Perhaps she was completely clueless about what was contained in those documents, but I'd take that as a strike against her, not in favor of her.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

That has nothing to do with microwaves being able to spy. If the NSA, CIA or anyone wants to spy on you - they can put a bug or camera in anything. The MICROWAVE is not spying on you. And her implication with lumping it into other devices that inherently COULD spy on you is that microwaves could do the same thing. Let it go. You're not going to have a winning argument here.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

My next question is how do "they" transmit the video data from said microwave ?

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Well in the case of these special microwaves, they use microwave antenna's obviously to transmit the data. Then that dry cleaning truck parked outside your house or apartment receives it and if it's a mac, is converted into an mp4 - on windows, a WMV ;)

5. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

You know how fatty foods like ham or bacon explode? Just like that.

6. zin macrumors 6502

Not that hard to track a delivery and intercept it. Especially when you already have a dragnet surveillance system tapped into every telecommunications exchange in the country. Thanks, Obama!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017 ---
    I don't think there's anything off limits from the intelligence agencies. Not after reading the WikiLeaks releases / Edward Snowden's leaks. I think that's the point she's making when she says it's a "fact of modern life".

7. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Seriously, if you need to translate/elucidate/clarify/interpret for a spokesperson, who's speaking for someone else who's job demands they speak with clarity... o_O

They either suck at their job, or are full of crap.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You haven't explained how "they" transmit the video data from the microwave..

9. chown33 macrumors 604

No, those are cat detector vans.

Projectile packeting. Swee-e-et, er, I mean, "fa-a-at".

10. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Ah. Well then, that would mean she has totally failed to back up her boss, wouldn't it?

Because Trump was complaining that Obama did something unusual. Something outrageous. Something illegal. Not something that was a "fact of modern life".

It would seem that we've now gone so far around the bend in trying to justify and reconstruct Trump's tweet that we are now contradicting the entire point of Trump's tweet...

11. samcraig macrumors P6

I didn't peg you for being that much of a tin foil hat wearer. Yes there are devices that can be used against you for surveillance. A microwave, itself is not one of them.

12. zin macrumors 6502

Bug it with a spycam / microphone?
    But that isn't what she said. She said people can be surveilled in numerous ways, not just via a traditional telephone tap:

The question should be whether she believes the Obama Administration used these techniques throughout the course of alleged wiretapping of Trump Tower. And I would like to know the answer (whether she believes it, not whether it actually happened, although I'd like to know that, too).

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Do you know what "transmit" means ?

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Bugging a device is not using a device to surveil. See this is the problem with her statement. TVs, Phones, etc - they can be turned INTO listening devices. A Microwave cannot be turned into a listening device. It should be a very simple concept to understand.

15. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Which is, of course, an inspired deflection, given that Trump stated explicitly and more than once in his tweets that the phones in Trump tower had been wiretapped. CNN had an article directly about this point:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/13/politics/sean-spicer-donald-trump-wiretapping/

Really? That is the question you'd like answered? Trump explicitly stated that it happened. It isn't Conway's job to believe or not to believe her boss, it is her job to back him up in the media. What does it matter what she actually believes?

16. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

What you would like to know is if the Obama Administration is guilty of a crime, any crime. This whole thing is based on accusations from an individual who doesn't like anonymous sources, but won't provide the source of his accusations.

When he can't backup his claims, it falls on Spicy & Kellyanne to somehow 'splain what 45 meant. Then it falls on individuals like you to explain what they meant when it makes even less sense.

At one point, we used to have something called the presumption of innocence. Now you & several others would like the previous administration under the words of the current administration to prove their innocence or they are guilty. Which begs the question with 45, if nothing is found this time, what's next? Will he stop? Why would he?

17. samcraig macrumors P6

No. He won't stop. Because he doesn't care about the truth. He cares about getting whatever insane idea he has out into cyberspace where his base eats it up and takes his word as fact. After all - he already told them not to trust anything or anyone but him and his surrogates. It's a free pass for him. Especially since so many just blindly regurgitate what he says vs any remote fact checking.

And no - I don't put Zin into that category. I'm not talking about him. Just responding to your question ;)
    C6WuRdFVUAEZKdT.jpg

18. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

I'm no electrical engineer, but it seems to me, with the all the raw EM energy and the shielding therefrom involved, a microwave oven would be the worst place to put a covert surveillance device and transmitter.

19. Zenithal macrumors G3

Microwaves are incredibly simple devices. You could literally be the most clueless person in the world and open one up and figure out how things work. There's a tiny circuit board for the touch sensitive buttons, a magnetron, an electric motor and the shielding. The tech has hardly changed in 40 years.

The only way something could leech data or video is if it's IoT. No microwave in the mainstream market is IoT. Samsung claim they'll have one within 5 years. It's going to be very expensive because microwaves kill wifi signals. There's also the fact that these devices need to have the wifi password or they can have their MAC blocked on the network.

Despite the CIA, NSA, MI5/MI6, CSIS, ISI, Mossad, RAW, GRU, BND, DGSE, et al. they're completely useless in using the information gathered because it's so massive. Intelligence agencies are essentially hoarders.

20. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

I suppose, but how would you keep the harmonics from the magnetron and the electric motor from interfering with the AV pickup and the transmission? Everytime you do a bag of popcorn, the NSA would get a lot of noise.

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yikes! You should be writing spy novels. With all this paranoia, how do you make it through the day? I think I'd be so stressed out if I thought the things you seem to think! Do you really think your microwave is spying on you?

22. Zenithal macrumors G3

You can't. And I was actually not saying that the NSA could do this. Microwaves are incredibly intriguing devices. Years and years ago, so back in the late 1980s, I had a digital Casio watch. I was a total Casanova and the things were expensive at the time. I recall the watch behaving very strangely while standing 15 feet away from it and the microwave running to make some bagged popcorn. Microwaves are better shielded nowadays, but they still interfere with just about everything. It'd be completely useless.

Kohler debuted a smart toilet a while back. I thought that was funny. Even in that case, I hardly think the NSA or any other intelligence agency will be wanting to hear you muttering curse words under your breath as you pass a loose bowel movement after having too many fajitas.

23. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Hell, I remember having to keep my great-aunt out of the kitchen because the microwave oven back in the day would glitch her pacemaker.

If curse words would be the worst they'd be hearing, they could count themselves lucky. Just hope the smart toilet doesn't come with a gas chromatograph. :eek:

24. SusanK macrumors 68000

They know I had leftover mashed potatoes with dinner tonight?
    Don't waste yourself on that blonde joke!
    Spicer said that President Obama did not do the wiretap personally. I think Spicer is in a race with KAC for executive loon.
    Easy. Trump's microwave is the best. Can't reheat McD, KFC or burritos in a half fast oven.