Alternative Facts are back!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

So Obama snuck into Trump Plaza. Went to drumpf's suite and put a camera in his gold oven.

Priceless !

2. SusanK macrumors 68000

Yes. It's much more effective with metal.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017 ---
    The McD wrappers. Then spies get it from the trash at TT. Elegantly simple.

3. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'd be surprised as microwaves, unlike "Smart televisions," typically do not have cameras, microphones, or other sensors to make them useful as a surveillance devices.

As Wired pointed out:

In 2006, Daewoo tried to market a voice activated microwave, but as that device did not include Internet connectivity, it wouldn't be accessible to hackers.

If Conway had said refrigerators, she wouldn't have sounded like such an idiot, because some do have cameras and IP connectivity, but they're rather rare.

Moreover, criminal gangs have been avoiding devices like 'smart televisions' for a while, especially after learning important lessons from the FBI's use of OnStar—a service built into GM cars.

In reality, an Apple TV, Xbox 360, and a host of other devices are ready-made surveillance devices, but this has been known for quite awhile.

Microwaves. No.

4. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

We all do now :D

5. SusanK macrumors 68000

:)

6. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    This. I agree. The technique has been in use for a half century.

You're right, but I think she mistakenly mashed together totally different things, out of a general technical ignorance that's all too common with people these days... along with a willingness to believe (and repeat) almost anything they read on the internet :rolleyes:

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

She is the "Communications Person". If she doesn't know how to communicate she should find other work.

8. SusanK macrumors 68000

We laugh but Trump &Co are speaking to their base. The microwave, TV explanation will fly.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'm not sure if I should be more sad or more scared of that. I truly don't understand how people can be so uneducated about things.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You know, she claims at 0:47 that she's not Inspector Gadget. I wonder whether she sees the irony in that statement. It was funny how his niece and his dog were the only competent ones on either side, although I always wanted a cat like madcat.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Didn't you know? That's because you're an 'elitist', so you don't understand such things.

12. zin, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

zin macrumors 6502

You're playing word games. You can bug almost anything and turn it into a listening device.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2017 ---
    The CIA leaks prove that they can compromise your vehicle software. It's not about paranoia. The issue is not whether I'm being surveilled, the issue is about the capabilities of the intelligence agencies and the ability of them to be used improperly. The fact you haven't read them worries me that you aren't concerned with the ability of the government to do bad with the powers they have. History is pretty clear that it can do bad things.

I'm pretty sure the people who loudly proclaimed the government had a dragnet surveillence system sweeping up every phone call domestically and internationally were derided as nutjobs before Edward Snowden made his disclosures.

13. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If everyone is paranoid then don't buy any electronic or smart device if iypt has a network connection. One thing we all know is never get a a Samsung Smart TV because it has an always on microphone!

Plus put a piece of tape onto The front camera on your Mac! Then get a USB Mic that go has an off button!

14. samcraig macrumors P6

It's not really wordplay. I'll try and state this even more clearly. Yes - you can bug any device (meaning you can put a bug into any device. However there are some devices which themselves can be turned into listening devices. A Smart TV that connects to wifi and has a microphone already can be turned into a listening device. Amazon Echo or Google Home. Same thing. A Computer, nanny cam or Cellphone can do both audio and video. There does not need to be something added to it or altered by physically accessing the device. However a microwave would need someone to physically adapt the device "on site" for that to become a listening device. Further, they would need a method of transferring the audio or video) signal since a microwave itself doesn't connect to the internet.

The other devices could be used via a software hack without any physical presence.

There's a difference. It's not word play.

15. zin macrumors 6502

I understand your point. If Kellyanne Conway is arguing that the microwave itself can record audio and video then I agree, that is dumb.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

I think she spoke out of turn. Possible not intentional - but with her you really never know. She and her boss don't really care about accountability.

The direct quote was "There was an article this week that talked about how you can surveil someone through their phone, through their television sets, any number of different ways, microwaves that turn into cameras, etc. So we know that's just a fact of modern life."

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

My favorite out of all of this is when she said "I'm not in the job of having evidence."

No, none of the administration seems to be in the job of having evidence. They just make **** up. Who needs evidence?!

18. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

This is her latest cheer leading event to support Supreme Leader? :rolleyes:

19. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Yes, dumb comment but I think we all know she was just getting the point across that we would be surprised at how we can all be spied on. If you watch the video at the top of the article you see her address that comment, and didn't actually think that Microwaves were the threat.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2017 ---
    It doesn't even matter if you have evidence and it is found true. (See H. Clinton)

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Not what a I asked you. But you answered it kind of with this:

And I agree.

21. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm willing to find out. Look at the exhaustive investigation into Clinton. Let's see the same thing for Trump.

22. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

You mean Obama? Isn't this about Obama bugging Trump towers? Either way Trump needs to take a step back and just do his job. I like many of the things he does policy wise, but I just wish he could do it without talking and tweeting. Maybe a good case of laryngitis would do some good :)

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

NO.

This is about some insane person tweating ********. UNPROVEN ********.