Alternative to BT as a Phone Line Provider? Line Rental, the works!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kardashian, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Basically, my Dads had some money problems and we didn't pay BT any money for about 4 months.

The bill is now cleared, and we need our telephone line back, for broadband only. BT have now said that their new procedure is based on a credit scoring basis, and they have said he failed.

So now, we have no way to get a phone line, and get internet with an ISP, BT or otherwise.

Does anyone know of any companies who will take over our line, line rental and everything, and allow us to get internet access?

It's also worth noting we DON'T live in a cabelled area, such as Virgin etc.

2. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

3. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Can't you take it out in your name?

Or try Virgin.

4. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

We don't live in a Virgin area.

5. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thanks, I'll give Talk Talk a try. :)

6. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I don't think you'll have much luck.

We were in the same dilemma a couple of months back. Just moving into a rented apartment, and even though the cabling was all done, BT wanted to charge £125 for a connection fee which basically required them pressing a mouse button somewhere to activate the line.

Talk Talk, Orange, Sky etc all state that you "Need a BT landline" to use their services...

It sucks.

Apparently, BT charge each company a one-off charge of over £100,000 to use the facilities of the built in cabling. As this is a lot cheaper than running their own cables, the companies tend to go down this route.

Surely anti-monopoly law should take effect here?

7. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Talk Talk will completely take over the line, line rental and all - so you have nothing to do with BT, BUT, you must have an active line first - which only BT can do.

Apparently, they now offer a Pay as you go service [apparently] - however they don't offer internet on it. This means I will have an active line, and phone number, which Talk Talk can then take over.

Seems a long way round, but its the only way as Dad's credit is now totally down the pan.