Alternative to buying Apple 24" monitor for macbook pro???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vesselar, Apr 27, 2009.

1. vesselar macrumors newbie

I'm going to be getting a Macbook Pro for grad school in a few months, and I love the way Apple's monitor works seamlessly with the MBP, but at $899, that's pretty high for just a monitor.

Also, I have an old TV in my room, so ideally I'd like to consolidate and have a monitor/TV in one. My room isn't that huge so 24" is plenty big.

Is there anything that provides nearly as good as image quality as the Apple 24" that I could also use as a HD television? Or should I get one of those USB things that is a tuner for the computer. Are any of those really any good?

I have friend at Apple so I could get a slight discount on the monitor, but the price still seems high.

Any recommendations?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Well if you're looking for something that has a TV tuner built-in, then I think the only "monitor/TV" combo at the same resolution as the 24" ACD is a Samsung T240HD, or the bigger T260HD. However, those won't give you the image quality as the ACD, due to an inferior panel (TN vs. IPS).

My suggestion if you want really good quality picture AND the ability to watch TV and such, is to buy a USB TV tuner, and then a nice monitor.

As for monitors, if you want something with an IPS panel like the Apple's, HP's LP2475w is a good alternative, cheaper, and has more inputs (if you need those). Dell's Ultrasharp 2408WFP is a nice one too, although it uses a PVA panel, which is in between a TN and an IPS, so you kinda get the best of both worlds as far as image quality and response time.

I personally have a Dell Ultrasharp 2709W, which is the same resolution as the 24", but I use it as a "TV" for my PS3 as well, so the size helps.

Hope that helps you out.

3. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I'll also agree that the HP LP2475w is a great 24" alternative to the Apple LED Cinema Display.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Dell also makes a display using the same panel as the Apple, for $200-$300 less.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

If you're talking about the 2408WFP, its a S-PVA panel, not an IPS. So far the only IPS panels that Dell has are in the 3008WFP, and the new Ultrasharp 2209WA.