Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
I just migrate (not exactly, but let's say I did a "migration") from Lion to El Capitan - a huge jump. Since was a fresh installation, I'm now reinstalling everything and configuring to my work. I have a local test server with MAMP: Apache, php, mysql, etc..

I'm aware there is no FTP file sharing like it was. I use to configure and solve some issues with FileZilla by accessing the website files by FTP local access (like setting permissions). Looking some threads, I found something about in Server for OS X, but I don't think it's the case, it is just a Macbook where I develop some websites. So I did activate a simple FTP by Terminal command. It works, but only ASCII char set and absolutely no security! Better I setup this FTP right... or maybe I'm trying to use an old fashioned tool.

I need a tool to do things Finder does not, mainly related to permissions and owner. So if FTP is not the better way to manage my local web files, what is the alternative?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I don't understand again, why do you need FTP again? Why can't you use normal file sharing or some other solution? If you are looking for the most user-friendly way, just get the server app — you can set up FTP there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.