Alternative to gun registration

moonman239

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
First, we ensure that all people diagnosed with a mental illness that could cause the person to be a danger to the community have their fingerprints submitted to a gun-readiness system. We should also make sure anyone who is arrested is fingerprinted. Then, if any one of us wishes to buy a gun, the only info taken is our fingerprints. We go down to a law enforcement agency or any shop licensed to perform this task, who will read the fingerprint and check our fingers to ensure no false negatives or posithves. If a computerized system then concludes no match exists, or we have no convictions and are not mentally unsafe to the community, then our fingerprint data is completely erased

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
Or we just accept (sadly) that gun deaths is the cost of business in the US. 24 6yr olds in body bags is what the NRA lobby gets you. Because any law that is an inconvenience, delays you getting a gun on the spot, or subjects you to a "registration" is an assault on your god given right to arm yourself to the teeth. You're never gonna change the mind of the 29yr old redneck living in his mothers basement snorting meth and wanking to an old Catherine Bach poster that he doesn't need an assault weapon to protect himself from the impending tyrannical US government. Somehow the framers of the constitution got the second amendment right but the parts about blacks being 3/5ths a man and women being kept out of voting booths needed a little tweaking.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Or we just accept (sadly) that gun deaths is the cost of business in the US. 24 6yr olds in body bags is what the NRA lobby gets you. Because any law that is an inconvenience, delays you getting a gun on the spot, or subjects you to a "registration" is an assault on your god given right to arm yourself to the teeth. You're never gonna change the mind of the 29yr old redneck living in his mothers basement snorting meth and wanking to an old Catherine Bach poster that he doesn't need an assault weapon to protect himself from the impending tyrannical US government. Somehow the framers of the constitution got the second amendment right but the parts about blacks being 3/5ths a man and women being kept out of voting booths needed a little tweaking.
gazillion laws out there depending on state.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
gazillion laws out there depending on state.
Yeah but every one is some watered down BS law. It's hard to make a law with teeth in this country nowadays.
[doublepost=1461093301][/doublepost]Even idiots who can't trouble shoot a laser can own guns.

haxrnick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Seattle
The more I read trip like this, the more I want to become a lib.
I love the fact that you always make a point to say you aren't a liberal. I don't blame you, however, I think the only issue I've ever seen you come out against them is the coddling of our youth. Are you one of those "free thinkers" who don't like to be labeled all while doing it to everyone else?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I love the fact that you always make a point to say you aren't a liberal. I don't blame you, however, I think the only issue I've ever seen you come out against them is the coddling of our youth. Are you one of those "free thinkers" who don't like to be labeled all while doing it to everyone else?
No, I'm a former NE Republican who wants nothing to do with the ******* crazy the Republican Party has become. Have always been pretty socially liberal.

Reactions: Eraserhead

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Funny you mention that, every home in my area has guns, no gun crimes, no home invasions, hunters regularly carry rifles at supermarket.....

In the city where most are unarmed... crime galor...go figure.
hmm could it be density of population? nah but hey the cage will fix it all.

Desertrat

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2003
Terlingua, Texas
adroit, you're in deep doo-doo. Some 40% of all US households have at least one firearm. Your question is, "Which ones?" :)

Gun control: The idea that a raped woman is a higher morality than a dead would-be rapist.

Criminal deaths via firearms are at a rate of one-third of those from car wrecks and one-seventieth of those from drugs, alcohol and tobacco. About one-thirtieth of those from medical Oopsies. Hard to get excited about guns, really.

From what I've seen in a half-century of gun-trading and watching gun-control yak-yak, guns seem to be a big deal among those with little knowledge of firearms ("...the thing that goes up," as the US Representative said) or the general nature of the mainstream of gun owners.

An apparent consensus among statisticians who research the issues of crime and gun control is that no law has ever served to reduce the rate of violent crimes where firearms were involved. Anybody here know of any law which actually affects the rate? (I've asked this question since before the Internet existed. No answer, yet.)

Insofar as insanity or mental instability, those people have the same legal rights as everyone else. So, a denial of rights can only come via adjudication in a court of law. The problem then is existing law concerning privacy rights and court records.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
adroit, you're in deep doo-doo. Some 40% of all US households have at least one firearm. Your question is, "Which ones?" :)
the one where someone accidentally shot someone? the one that thinks they are safe from the world and can protect it?