Alternative to gun registration

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by moonman239, Apr 19, 2016.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

First, we ensure that all people diagnosed with a mental illness that could cause the person to be a danger to the community have their fingerprints submitted to a gun-readiness system. We should also make sure anyone who is arrested is fingerprinted. Then, if any one of us wishes to buy a gun, the only info taken is our fingerprints. We go down to a law enforcement agency or any shop licensed to perform this task, who will read the fingerprint and check our fingers to ensure no false negatives or posithves. If a computerized system then concludes no match exists, or we have no convictions and are not mentally unsafe to the community, then our fingerprint data is completely erased

2. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Anyone can be arbitrarily diagnosed with mental illness by ideologue driven health officials...

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Or we just accept (sadly) that gun deaths is the cost of business in the US. 24 6yr olds in body bags is what the NRA lobby gets you. Because any law that is an inconvenience, delays you getting a gun on the spot, or subjects you to a "registration" is an assault on your god given right to arm yourself to the teeth. You're never gonna change the mind of the 29yr old redneck living in his mothers basement snorting meth and wanking to an old Catherine Bach poster that he doesn't need an assault weapon to protect himself from the impending tyrannical US government. Somehow the framers of the constitution got the second amendment right but the parts about blacks being 3/5ths a man and women being kept out of voting booths needed a little tweaking.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

gazillion laws out there depending on state.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yeah but every one is some watered down BS law. It's hard to make a law with teeth in this country nowadays.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2016 ---
    Even idiots who can't trouble shoot a laser can own guns.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It would face just as much opposition for worse results than simply requiring a license to use a gun like a car.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

he needed to make a grouping to make sure the laser is on point, that rookie only shot it once :p

8. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Lib dream, open borders for drug cartel and islamic terrorists and a disarmed USA.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yeah, that's pretty much the goal. **** us, right?

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

$20. Or a Klondike bar

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The more I read trip like this, the more I want to become a lib.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Right dream live in a cage and everyone is armed. What could possibly go wrong?

13. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I love the fact that you always make a point to say you aren't a liberal. I don't blame you, however, I think the only issue I've ever seen you come out against them is the coddling of our youth. Are you one of those "free thinkers" who don't like to be labeled all while doing it to everyone else?

14. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Funny you mention that, every home in my area has guns, no gun crimes, no home invasions, hunters regularly carry rifles at supermarket.....

In the city where most are unarmed... crime galor...go figure.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No, I'm a former NE Republican who wants nothing to do with the ******* crazy the Republican Party has become. Have always been pretty socially liberal.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

hmm could it be density of population? nah but hey the cage will fix it all.

17. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

I wouldn't call 20 acres and home a cage.. but carry on (pun intended) in your safe cage..

18. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Do we want a War on Guns to be like the "War on Drugs"?

19. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I am talking about walling of America. worked great for china.

20. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

The desire to own a gun is a mental illness in my book so you are 100% right.

21. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'm very glad you decided to inject some drama into this gun thread. I was beginning to think this subject could actually be discussed vs rock throwing.

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Would you dismantle the sovereignty of the United States for a Klondike Bar?

WOULD I? HELL YEAH! I LOVE THOSE THINGS!

23. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

My position is my position and I stand behind it.

24. Desertrat macrumors newbie

adroit, you're in deep doo-doo. Some 40% of all US households have at least one firearm. Your question is, "Which ones?" :)

Gun control: The idea that a raped woman is a higher morality than a dead would-be rapist.

Criminal deaths via firearms are at a rate of one-third of those from car wrecks and one-seventieth of those from drugs, alcohol and tobacco. About one-thirtieth of those from medical Oopsies. Hard to get excited about guns, really.

From what I've seen in a half-century of gun-trading and watching gun-control yak-yak, guns seem to be a big deal among those with little knowledge of firearms ("...the thing that goes up," as the US Representative said) or the general nature of the mainstream of gun owners.

An apparent consensus among statisticians who research the issues of crime and gun control is that no law has ever served to reduce the rate of violent crimes where firearms were involved. Anybody here know of any law which actually affects the rate? (I've asked this question since before the Internet existed. No answer, yet.)

Insofar as insanity or mental instability, those people have the same legal rights as everyone else. So, a denial of rights can only come via adjudication in a court of law. The problem then is existing law concerning privacy rights and court records.

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the one where someone accidentally shot someone? the one that thinks they are safe from the world and can protect it?