Alternative To iCal — PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dee512, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Dee512 macrumors newbie

Hi there! I converted to Mac starting in July for my business. I love love love my Mac...but with one very glaring, consistent exception. I HATE iCal! I use Google Apps, so need something that will integrate. My biggest gripe is that meeting invites are sketchy (many people tell me they just don't get them) and the "Notes" area is flimsy as sin. I'm used to adding attachments, an agenda, links, etc. to my meeting invites. iCal doesn't allow for the same professional meeting invites my clients are used to.

I have researched and researched and am fresh outta answers. Can someone offer any desktop iCal alternatives — built for business?

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Don't get it. I use iCal and Google Apps and have no problems. Did you set up your Google correctly using the Accounts settings under Preferences?

3. Dee512 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, the integration works fine. I simply hate the interface when it comes to inviting attendees and setting up meetings. The notes section in particular...and the sending of invites is kludgey. Not nearly as professional in appearance as with Outlook.

4. smigit2002 macrumors newbie

BusyCal

I'm not sure BusyCal will allow for attachments to invitations, but it may be worth a look with the 30 day trial.

I personally use their BusyToDo for iPad which syncs to do lists with my Mac, and if BusyCal's to do integration is anything like it, it should be quite nice.

5. Anthony.L macrumors member

I agree, as a business user who with Lion switched from Outlook to Mail.app and iCal. My iCal is integrated with my Exchange calendars. I do not have any issues with customers not receiving my invites. However I've had a host of other weird quirks. I also agree the interface is not that professional as Outlook. I wish you could see in iCal which invitees accepted even.

6. smilechild macrumors newbie

I use BusyCal and I LOVE it! Definitely try it out with their 30-day free trial.

7. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Another vote for BusyCal. Price is steep, but worth it.

8. sigbiz macrumors newbie

PLEASEgive us the iOS cal on the Mac

the iCAL has to be the most Naf (as we say in England) ap ever designed.

Having moved to a mac a few weeks back a sensible calendar without having to pay £35 for it is what I really miss.

In general not sure about all this OSX / iOS mix up stuff but the iOS calendar has all the basic functionality you need - repeats - reminders etc. and does not look like it was designed by a spotty teenager in his bedroom in the 1980s.

9. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

After having been a hardcore iCal user since it's inception, I was so frustrated with it in Lion, that I broke and went to BusyCal... It's true, BusyCal is what iCal should have been! :D

Love, love, love BusyCal. It's better than iCal. So much easier to use, works with my work calendars and syncs with everything! I teach/coach and belong to different committees/organizations BusyCal allows me to organize all of them and keep my iPhone and iPad updated as well as other people...

Get BusyCal and be happy!

Coachingguy