Alternative to iDVD to burn 3 hour movie?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by A1SteakSauce, Jan 31, 2010.

1. A1SteakSauce macrumors member

A1SteakSauce

Hey All!

I've searched and searched and searched and I STILL cannot find a free program that will let me burn a movie to a DVD. I used handbrake to bring the video file down to 4.5 GB. I'm trying to put it on a 4.7 GB disc and iDVD still won't let me because it says it is too big! I've been tinkering with iDVD and it's making me crazy. There must be a way to just burn it. I don't need a menu. Keep in mind that I want to be able to watch it on a dvd player (as opposed to just transferring the file)

Just an FYI, the video file is 3 hours and 28 mins. It can be .mkv or .mp4 (through handbrake)

Please help! :confused: :eek:

EDIT: I just bought some memorex Double Layer blank DVD's. They say it has like 8.8 GB and the video file is only 4.8. So theoreically it should work but it says TOTAL 11 GB in red which is odd because it's not 11 GB[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

I also don't understand what its encoding below it.

Thanks!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Use a dual layer disc?

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

A 4.7 GB disc really only has about 4.3 GB of usable space. Try to shrink your movie below that if you can.

4. A1SteakSauce thread starter macrumors member

A1SteakSauce

so I got the dual layer disc and it worked! Thanks for your help