Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilnin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
At the moment ATHENS, GREECE
Hi there, i was wondering if anybody knew if there is any realistic alternative to M$ excel? I mean, in my work i use it everyday, but i'm REALLY fed up with the continuous crashes, delays, problems... that excel generates (moreover ONLY on my mac, because on the PC everything is "pretty much OK", at least as far as M$ may be "OK").

I think i heard some time ago about a product but now i can't remember what it was.

Thanks in advance to help me "free myself" from M$ ;-)

Wilfrid

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I prefer ThinkFree to OpenOffice, due to the fact OpenOffice needs Apple's X11 to run. It's ugly, but its free.
Doesn't ThinkFree's Office run in a java runtime environment? I thought so, meaning you need a pretty fast Mac to run this suite comfortably. But it's very cheap, and quite nice looking too.

pantagruel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2002
here and there
i think soon Apple will release the rest of the office programs to follow up appleworks, like keynote which is already out, so when that happens you should have an awesome alterantive to xcel, but who knows when it will be released.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I use ThinkFree Office whenever I need MS Office-compatibility. It's quite good and has similar capabilities. Yes, it runs in Java, but it feels as though they've tied it in with Cocoa where speed was an issue. It runs sweetly.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by XnavxeMiyyep
AppleWorks spreadsheet isn't that bad. It's actually better at math than Excel.

But a warning, formulas do not update themselves in Appleworks like they do in Excel. Well, at least they didn't when I tried.

wilnin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
At the moment ATHENS, GREECE
MANY Thanks

Well this has been the first time i uses such a discussion forum and i must say i am amazed at your kindness.Thanks to all for your help!

I've checked out Think free office, and although it works well (and looks good :) it really is tooooo slow on my mac to be really used for work (I have an "old" PBG G4 667). Such a shame!!!

As far as the open office goes, i've had a look at it, but this X11 stuff kind of scare me (i am not even sure i've understood what it was exactly). And i don't feel like installing it on my mac...

So i guess i'm still stuck with excel :-( at least for a while.
Please, Apple, develop something soon ;0)

Wilfrid

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
there's a cocoa app called "mesa" that does spreadsheets. i've never tried it but it is supposed to have some xcel compatability. you can find it on versiontracker.com

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
there's a cocoa app called "mesa" that does spreadsheets. i've never tried it but it is supposed to have some xcel compatability. you can find it on versiontracker.com

I'm surprised to hear that Mesa is still around. After 10 years or so, they still haven't found an audience. It was the first commercial, maybe just the first, spreadsheet on OS/2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.