Alternatives to an Airport Extreme for USB Ext Drive Sharing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vpr80, May 16, 2011.

1. vpr80 macrumors newbie

I've decided to offload my iTunes library from my MacBook Pro to an external usb hard drive. Since I walk around the house with the MBP, I can't keep connecting the external hard drive all the time. Also have it linked to my Apple TV 1G so it's best for the external drive to stay connected on the network.

So what's an easy/cheap way to get my USB external hard drive (WD MyBook) onto the network (wired) without dropping $180 on an Airport Extreme which I don't need?

Thanks!

2. p3t3rsn macrumors newbie

I have the Airport Extreme and the internal USB performance is very poor. With a USB3.0 Lacie drive connected to mine the write speeds are simply awful. You would be best off to attach a NAS unit like the D-Link DNS323.

3. vpr80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok well that's good to know.

However, a basic two-drive NAS is $200 and beter ones are $300-$400. First, I just don't want to spend that much; and second, getting into that much $$$, I might as well just buy a whole desktop computer and run that as a file server.

4. p3t3rsn macrumors newbie

Well what is your budget?

5. vpr80 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't want to get too creative or spend too much $$$ because I am not looking for anything advanced feature-wise or complicating. Just need an easy solution to create a network share out of my existing external usb drive.

6. p3t3rsn macrumors newbie

Well what router are you using?

7. vpr80 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have Verizon Fios so I have the Actiontec 424.

8. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Western Digital MyBook and Seagate Goflex both have network versions in their product line. Take a look.

9. vpr80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I know about those, but I already have a WD MyBook so getting one of those means basically chucking my existing one.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Plenty of other routers out there with USB connectivity. I have a Netgear Wnr3500L which amazon has for $70. It does USB storage if you use the Tomato firmware. Be aware that the limiting factor is the CPU inside the router so none are really fast. My Extreme gets about the same speed serving disk as the Netgear, about 8-12mbps.

11. imahawki macrumors 6502a

That's fine but you could spend nearly the same for a worse solution trying to avoid a little duplication. What's your backup situation?

12. vpr80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Have yet another external hd that's 2TB for all the other stuff like TM, Pictures, etc. That one is stored in a fireproof safe.

13. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

A refurb Airport Extreme is $129 if that helps.