Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OliverOSX93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Accrington
Im finding it impossible to track down any O-rings for the powermac G5 I am fixing.

Someone suggested using liquid silicon as a replacement but I'm not sure how that would work. Can anyone help me think of ways to sort this?:(

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Im finding it impossible to track down any O-rings for the powermac G5 I am fixing.

Someone suggested using liquid silicon as a replacement but I'm not sure how that would work. Can anyone help me think of ways to sort this?:(

why don't you take it to a parts store. Not the megaplex type but the ones that people go to to hang out they will be able to measure and order it. I can't believe that o ring is non-standard.

OliverOSX93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Accrington
why don't you take it to a parts store. Not the megaplex type but the ones that people go to to hang out they will be able to measure and order it. I can't believe that o ring is non-standard.

I've been to an engineering supply store (and garage and plumbing merchant) and they told me "I'm sorry mate, but your going to struggle with that"

I'm not sure if it is still produced. http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce...77e5z?refinement=4289977206&searchandizedOk=Y <<---- this was the closest I could find but it means I'm ordering from America and I don't know if it will fit.

Edit:
And it looks like they don't have as high a heat tolerance >.< anyone here know how Buna-N compares to viton?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I've been to an engineering supply store (and garage and plumbing merchant) and they told me "I'm sorry mate, but your going to struggle with that"

I'm not sure if it is still produced. http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce...77e5z?refinement=4289977206&searchandizedOk=Y <<---- this was the closest I could find but it means I'm ordering from America and I don't know if it will fit.

Edit:
And it looks like they don't have as high a heat tolerance >.< anyone here know how Buna-N compares to viton?

Do you have any spec's I can google around with you and see if they're available here in Deutschland

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....

the liquid silicon would be me, for that i just squirted silicon over the groove the o ring was in (i left the old o rings in). I don't know how well this will last in the long term, but it hasn't leaked in 6 months (but i barely use it anymore).

When i have the money i am going to get compleatley new watercooling blocks (and possibly a new pump). Although i haven't even looked into what blocks will fit yet, but my advice is if your looking for a permanent solution get new watercooling blocks. if you need it working now the silicone way i used will be fine in the short term (but i have no idea what would happen to it in the long term)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.