Alu MB Problem with external monitor and high resolution -> Stupid DP

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by manuel.mx, Nov 6, 2008.

1. manuel.mx macrumors member

Hi,

I just got a new monitor, a Samsung T260HD for use with my new macbook, I was very enthusiastic about it just to find deception with the new macbook.

Starting with the fact that I needed to get a mini DP (i hate those mini propietary versions and the fact that i need to pay 30 more, anyways) I plugged in everything, and when i maxed out my monitor to 1920x1200 there is noise in the image on the monitor, and by noise i mean.

1. Random Green lines accross the screen, sometimes they do, sometimes they dont.

2. And VERY annoying, noise on images, like some pixels start to turn white and it looks like the image would be shinning. I knew this was bad since the monitor in its TV function doesnt show such behaviour.

I thought the TV was defective, but then I plugged in my old 12" Powerbook with its mini dvi cable to the TV and it was capable of handling the exact resolution with no noise at all! The picture was perfect, and the white dots were not present.

I rechecked, and my macbook did good.. at first, when i tried again with a movie from apple trailers in 1080p and the results were disastrous... noise started to appear when the movie started to play. And I should add that this white dots are easy to notice on black/dark spots... so it is very annoying.

I asked my roommate to try with this macbook pro, (non DP one, like 1 year old model with direct DVI, no mini junk) and it worked flawless on his.... I tried mine, with a DVD and same result, noise noise noise that apparently once it is triggered it doesnt stop being so.....

So my roommate gave another shot and his computer displayed nicely the DVD on the external monitor. I concluded that the monitor is FINE, but that the issue is with my new Macbook and its graphics card I guess...

The problem is present when the resolution is high like 1920x1200 and if i lower to 1360x something else, it has no noise at all... I gave a shot in windows to get the same problem. High resolution = noise in the new macbook.

Im highly dissapointed, and tomorrow im gonna try this out in the apple store and try to get support, but I was wondering if anyone has similar issues?

I dont know waht to blame, the mini DP to DVI adapter is brand new, im using the monitors DVI cable which works fine in 2 computers.

I wonder if this is an issue of the converter or my graphics card is faulty ******.....

Anyone has a similar problem here? Or can provide with some ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Manuel

2. manuel.mx thread starter macrumors member

Wanted to post as a follow up that i found more users in the apple discussion forums with similiar situations. I would warn any user to check a monitor thoroughly before buying it. The info in apple forums can be found here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1762674&tstart=0

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1756755&tstart=0

Short story, most people get strange behavior after waking up the computer, some, like me, have weird behaviors at all times. So it seems to be unclear what is causing it, but the 9400 chipset. As MBP users dont get this problem when they use the ehanced graphics mode, but they do if they choose to use the IGP solution and not the "external" graphics card.

Any one experiencing this?

3. kasakka macrumors 65816

Makes me all the more glad I decided to not purchase a Macbook right now. Seems like the users are once again the ones who have to test these things.

I would've used the Macbook with an external monitor always at home and if even something that simple can't be done properly..I'll wait if Apple comes out with a revised edition.

4. stanton macrumors member

stanton

Same issues here...

I hooked up my new MB to a TV to test out Netflix online beta, and it kept phasing out as soon as the display went into sleep mode:(. It was an older TV, 720p with DVI. I'd be willing to upgrade to the MBP, but I don't want to have to pay up the 10% restocking fee for faulty hardware. Any one try this?

5. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

sounds like video corruption. I had this problem on my desktop which also uses and nvidia chipset. It was fixed with a bio update.

6. manuel.mx thread starter macrumors member

I'll have to wait for the update, i dont think ill be able to fix it. Ill go to meet an apple genius later today and see what he has to say about it... I hope i can bring attention to the issue cause it sucks, it is highly disappointing.

7. manuel.mx thread starter macrumors member

I went to the Apple store and the outcome was lame, my computer somehow worked in there correctly with apples displays, even the new DP one... And arrogantly the Mac Genius just said that my monitor was the incompatible one.... I hope Apple address all this issues soon.

Anyways, I had to change the cable and im using a DVI-HDMI and it works good. I know its not fault of the TV or the DVI-DVI cable, since it works fine with older macs. So ill have to stick to DVI to HDMI for now.

Hope this helps someone else.