Alubook miniDP to RGB with RGB to VGA cable

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Beanlok, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

I bought an rgb minidp adapter for the sole purpose to hook my macbook to my tv. I now have an extra lcd monitor that I plan to use as well. However, when I use a vga to dvi cable the monitor gets no signal. When using a straight vga cable it works fine. Has anyone else had this problem? Know a fix?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How do you connect the LCD to your MacBook?

If I understood correct, you use a miniDisplayPort to RGB adapter which you then connect to a VGA to DVI cable.

Why don't you just use a miniDisplayPort to DVI cable, so the signal doesn't loose.

The way you do it (if I understood correctly), the digital signal is converted to analogue and then again shall be converted to a digital signal.

PS: How do you connect the VGA to DVI cable to your MacBook?

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You cannot go MDP--->VGA-->DVI.

Generally, those DVI-->VGA cables are meant to go that way, from a DVI-I source to a VGA receiver, not the other way around, I think. Also, the monitor may not support DVI-A (analog signal over DVI).

Conversely, you also cannot go MDP-->DVI-->VGA, as the DVI signal outputted by that connector is only DVI-D, and cannot be passed through to an analog VGA cable.