Alum•in•ium is old-crap. I want ceramic everything!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Yr Blues, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Thanks Apple.

Ceramic white MacBook. Ceramic black MacBook. Oh, yiss.

2. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor

Yup, and a giant crack all across the body once you bump it somewhere

3. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Ceramic is a coating on the aluminum, it won't crack unless one hits and may dents the underlying case. Then it may just chip.

Back to white MacBooks, what's old is new. At least they aren't plastic anymore.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Are you really saying that enamel(ceramic/porcelain bonded to a metal substrate) is more durable than polycarbonate?

5. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

No I'm saying polycarbonate doesn't look as nice. The ceramic will look rich, but I will stick to the gray.

6. BarcelonaPaul Suspended

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

hey just like the new non stick pans cool. wonder if you can cook on one?

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Enameling is old technology. I have pots and pans that my grandmother bought in the 1960s.

I also have enamel watch dials from the 1850s. Some are perfect(a while back, I bought an 1862 model Waltham that was a pile of junk specifically because it had a rare perfect dial) while others look like crap. Granted, a lot of watch dials crap and chip either because of either shoddy construction(some Southbend and Rockford dials were terrible), inherently weak designs(dials pieced together from multiple parts, which were often higher grade dials), or mishandling(usually tightening the retaining screws too tightly).

Still, though, Apple made some nice looking polycarbonate Macs, whether we're talking about the earlier iBook/Macbook design or the later Unibody design. They are also amazingly sturdy. The Blackbooks have a beautiful finish on the plastic that I can't describe, but is probably the nicest I've ever felt on a laptop.

I suspect that an enameled laptop would likely look good for about a month, but after a few bumps the hairlines and chips in the enamel would make it look terrible. At least aluminum won't turn green like the copper base used for watch dials.

9. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

If they do away with the fan and the CPU gets really hot maybe a fried egg or two, and all without oil or butter!

:)

10. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Well, to be fair, if you're looking for 2nd or 3rd world problems, then perhaps try going to a website that does not cater to a market for 1st world consumers.

That would be a good start.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

The Ceramic Apple Watch body is fully ceramic. It is not a coating on aluminum.

12. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Are you sure? For the price I would have thought is was ceramic coated aluminum.

But, I think we are talking about the MacBook. Do you think they could build a light enough 100% ceramic laptop?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2016 ---
    I just looked up the watch and it's not made with the old fashion ceramic material, it's a combination of alloys and other properties.

Here's the link:

https://www.quora.com/What-will-the-iPhone-8-be-made-of/answer/Brian-Roemmele?srid=Pi3

Looks like good stuff.

Just maybe they can make a light MacBook out of it, but the price maybe over $5 grand.

13. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

Zirconium is a lot stronger. Replacement dental teeth are made from them. I'm sure iPhone and Watch will be made from zirconium eventually.

14. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

Praise to you for using the proper spelling of the word aluminium *thumbs up*

15. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

16. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

yep. for fun and giggles work for the DOD and spell defence in mails and stuff. My little bit of social rebellion at this point... Millions of other non US English speaking people can't be wrong lol. I have a strong British influence (writers, British comedy, etc). Mix in online gaming where I tag along with other oceanic crews often, yeah, I get the Aussie and Kiwi influences as well.