Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clancycoop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
As I look at my new Alum Macbook, I can't help but notice that it looks great from every angle but behind. The black (plastic?) hinge is like hubcaps on a Ferrari.

Why skimp there Apple? I realize that it was probably a calculated decision, but I know they don't like how it looks because there isn't a single image that shows the back on their site (if you can find one, posting a link is all good, I just did a quick going over).

Yes, this post is completely nit-picky. I am a obsessive compulsive whiner, but why couldn't it have been Alum too?

Anybody else not love the skid mark on the back?

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
I don't mind. There is speculation that this is where the wireless antenna is kept.. since plastic doesn't interfere with wireless signal as much as aluminum does. The macbook pro has had a similar hinge for quite some time.

Personally, I think it is a nice accent.. it matches the bezel around the display and the keys and I don't think it looks out of place at all.

mrrish

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
The airport card is in the screen. It is extremely small.....roughly .75"x.75"x.125"

staccato83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Its kind of funny that you mention Ferrari... see any significance in this picture? ;)

Ferrari_430_Scuderia_2.jpg

Rogue68

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
I hate the black hinge too.

Everything about the bottom of these laptops is beautiful. Everything about the top sucks big ones.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

They went with an all plastic hinge starting with the first MBP, maybe because the aluminum ones were bending too often. The first ones were grey plastic, which got dirty, so they switched to black. Black also matches better with what's inside...black bezel and keyboard. Just my theory.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
I actually like the black hinge. I feel it will be one of those features that seperates generations from a distance.

reybart

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2003
NYC
I am holding on buying the MB because of this part. I love it to be black but to see it as plastic? No way!. BTW , I always love apple products because of its design, but this time, hmmm.. I hate the hinge..

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I am holding on buying the MB because of this part. I love it to be black but to see it as plastic? No way!. BTW , I always love apple products because of its design, but this time, hmmm.. I hate the hinge..

In other words, you are waiting until they reverse their design decision and go back to aluminum? Good luck with your PC.

sselemit

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2008
Somehow i like that black, a nice tweak to the case. i'm too a fan of all aluminum but it's time to see something different.

what is wrong w/ plastic? and is on the back anyway, you cant even see when you are using it.

No1451

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I like the alum/black look and I think it might look a bit out of place if it wasn't black.

As for it being plastic, it doesn't bother me in the least.

goobimama

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
Can anyone post a pic of what this black hinge looks like? I haven't seen the new MacBooks so…

reybart

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2003
NYC
In other words, you are waiting until they reverse their design decision and go back to aluminum? Good luck with your PC.

I don't have a PC @all. I all have apple products. But now I am considering the MBA. But I might consider MB again if I get used to the black hinge.;).

rywat

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
I like the black hinge
Good contrast, terrible thread

edit pic for last poster;
2985057725_94d3f4424e.jpg

that's quite a large wireless mouse dongle you've got there. you should try the logitech vx nano. it's an awesome mouse, and the dongle only stick out about 1/4"

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
As I look at my new Alum Macbook, I can't help but notice that it looks great from every angle but behind. The black (plastic?) hinge is like hubcaps on a Ferrari.

Why skimp there Apple? I realize that it was probably a calculated decision, but I know they don't like how it looks because there isn't a single image that shows the back on their site (if you can find one, posting a link is all good, I just did a quick going over).

Yes, this post is completely nit-picky. I am a obsessive compulsive whiner, but why couldn't it have been Alum too?

Anybody else not love the skid mark on the back?
Get over it. Seriously.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL

Maybe Apple can offer a special config that replaces the black plastic with a nice aluminum cap. The config will also include a USB WiFi dongle since wireless reception will be completely nill. Look up "faraday cage" for details.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Maybe Apple can offer a special config that replaces the black plastic with a nice aluminum cap. The config will also include a USB WiFi dongle since wireless reception will be completely nill. Look up "faraday cage" for details.

That's so completely unnecessary lol... Never going to happen in my opinion.

Kendall015

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006

Of course you are free to spend your own money how you see fit, but is this seriously the only reason why you are holding off buying the MacBook and looking at the Air instead? Both computers are pretty different in terms of features and price...it seems kinda silly to have a relatively minor aethstetic difference (compared with something like the glass screen vs. the aluminum bezel) be the sole determining factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.