Alum is sexy & I love it; but what is with the black hinge?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Clancycoop, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Clancycoop macrumors member

As I look at my new Alum Macbook, I can't help but notice that it looks great from every angle but behind. The black (plastic?) hinge is like hubcaps on a Ferrari.

Why skimp there Apple? I realize that it was probably a calculated decision, but I know they don't like how it looks because there isn't a single image that shows the back on their site (if you can find one, posting a link is all good, I just did a quick going over).

Yes, this post is completely nit-picky. I am a obsessive compulsive whiner, but why couldn't it have been Alum too?

Anybody else not love the skid mark on the back?

2. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

I don't mind. There is speculation that this is where the wireless antenna is kept.. since plastic doesn't interfere with wireless signal as much as aluminum does. The macbook pro has had a similar hinge for quite some time.

Personally, I think it is a nice accent.. it matches the bezel around the display and the keys and I don't think it looks out of place at all.

3. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

The airport card is in the screen. It is extremely small.....roughly .75"x.75"x.125"

4. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Its kind of funny that you mention Ferrari... see any significance in this picture? ;)

[​IMG]

5. dckj95 macrumors member

LOL!

comparing a ferrari with a macbook to see the differences?

6. Rogue68 macrumors newbie

I hate the black hinge too.

Everything about the bottom of these laptops is beautiful. Everything about the top sucks big ones.

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

They went with an all plastic hinge starting with the first MBP, maybe because the aluminum ones were bending too often. The first ones were grey plastic, which got dirty, so they switched to black. Black also matches better with what's inside...black bezel and keyboard. Just my theory.

8. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I actually like the black hinge. I feel it will be one of those features that seperates generations from a distance.

9. reybart macrumors member

I am holding on buying the MB because of this part. I love it to be black but to see it as plastic? No way!. BTW , I always love apple products because of its design, but this time, hmmm.. I hate the hinge..

10. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

In other words, you are waiting until they reverse their design decision and go back to aluminum? Good luck with your PC.

11. sselemit macrumors member

Somehow i like that black, a nice tweak to the case. i'm too a fan of all aluminum but it's time to see something different.

what is wrong w/ plastic? and is on the back anyway, you cant even see when you are using it.

12. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

How very original. :rolleyes:

13. No1451 macrumors 6502

I like the alum/black look and I think it might look a bit out of place if it wasn't black.

As for it being plastic, it doesn't bother me in the least.

14. goobimama macrumors regular

Can anyone post a pic of what this black hinge looks like? I haven't seen the new MacBooks so…

15. mikeyr0x macrumors member

I like the black hinge
    Good contrast, terrible thread

edit pic for last poster;
    [​IMG]

16. reybart macrumors member

I don't have a PC @all. I all have apple products. But now I am considering the MBA. But I might consider MB again if I get used to the black hinge.;).

17. goobimama macrumors regular

18. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Its plastic because that's where the WiFi antenna lives.

19. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Umm... you missed the point smart guy. Notice how the center of the bumper of the Ferrari is like black plastic, ya know, kind of like the Macbook :rolleyes:

20. rywat macrumors member

that's quite a large wireless mouse dongle you've got there. you should try the logitech vx nano. it's an awesome mouse, and the dongle only stick out about 1/4"

21. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Get over it. Seriously.

22. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Maybe Apple can offer a special config that replaces the black plastic with a nice aluminum cap. The config will also include a USB WiFi dongle since wireless reception will be completely nill. Look up "faraday cage" for details.

23. Jpoon macrumors 6502

That's so completely unnecessary lol... Never going to happen in my opinion.

24. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

25. Kendall015 macrumors regular

Of course you are free to spend your own money how you see fit, but is this seriously the only reason why you are holding off buying the MacBook and looking at the Air instead? Both computers are pretty different in terms of features and price...it seems kinda silly to have a relatively minor aethstetic difference (compared with something like the glass screen vs. the aluminum bezel) be the sole determining factor.