Alum MBP to External Monitor Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iWoz, Apr 1, 2009.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Hi Guys

Well I've just bought a MPB as in my signature. And a samsung 932mw which has a DVI connection and HDMI connection aswell as a VGA connection which i am using to connect my dell d620 to.

Will it work if I purchase a "Minidisplay port to DVI adapter and plug a "DVI to HDMI" cable into that into the monitor.

Or is it better to just use the "Minidisplay port to DVI adapter" toa normal DVI cable into the back of the monitor.

Hope someone can help me

Cheers

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Either will have exactly the same result: plugging a DVI<->HDMI cable in just results in DVI signalling anyway (HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI signalling).

3. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

ok thanks for the advice.

Is there anyway I can take advantage of the HDMI feature with my macbook or not?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What do you mean by "HDMI feature"? You can use the Mini Display Port->DVI Adaptor with either a DVI<->DVI cable or a DVI<->HDMI cable. The results will be identical. Both will carry exactly the same video signal. Neither will carry audio. It's up to you which you want to use as there is no technical reason to choose one over the other.

5. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

ok, i guess i'll use the DVI, so i Can have the HDMI slot free for the ps3.

6. finnschi macrumors 6502

if you love HDMI get a mini Display port to HDMI connector.... although, its unknown if the current mini DP will support audio out via HDMI or not :rolleyes:

the adapter is available from monoprice

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's totally, completely, 100% know. It does not carry audio.

8. finnschi macrumors 6502

Since when? It even says that it might support audio on monoprice.com. Even though its not supported soFtware wise doesnt mean its not supported hardware wise, so we might see a update just like they did with the mbp 802.11n ....

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It says "AUDIO: This adapter will support audio only if your source device allows audio output through the Mini DisplayPorts interface. If you're not sure, please check with the manufacturer or website, to confirm if your device allows audio out through the Mini-DP interface."

Right now there is no audio coming through the interface. I cannot see any reason to believe this can be enabled with software: the hardware link between the audio system and the graphics system would have to be in place and if it was this would already work. Having said that the nVidia 9400 chipset can support HDMI audio...

10. finnschi macrumors 6502

It Does... the whole hardware is there :eek: