Aluminum bent out (what kind of glue?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBrolling, Oct 12, 2010.

1. MBrolling macrumors member

After 2 years of having a mint condition Macbook Pro, it finally got dented. It is not so much a dent, more so that the aluminum piece above the cd-rom slot popped off (backpack with macbook pro fell and impact caused it to pop off). I was wondering what type of glue would be best to use to try to stick this piece back to the frame?

I am really glad though that my laptop didn’t get any bad dents and only had this piece pop out a bit because I can imagine it could have been way worse (I had it in a hard-shell Booq casing, while inside my backpack).

Attached Files:

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Some regular super glue should be able to fix that

3. jbob macrumors newbie

Bad luck ! - nope I don't think superglue will hold that !

Is there a clean surface inside to bond it to ? - maximal surface area is what you need

It's a bugger to bond - but your only chance I think is a 3M aluminium bonding tape - very clever stuff - it bonds on applying pressure - you'll need to speak to them about the right tape product - they're very good about offering product advice. I can't imagine anything else being strong enough to hold it. It's expensive - so perhaps you can ask for a small sample for testing purposes - a little white lie - but that's the way it goes with the big guys ! Good luck MB !

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

SOmething is dented or out of place for that to be pushed out that far, it just doesnt pop out because it isnt glued anymore...you have other problems.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It looks like you have some deformation to the aluminium, the fall has probably pushed the corner in causing the thin section to pop out.

I'm not sure if you will be able to just glue it back in place without first knocking out the damage in the corner and straightening out the bent section.

As for the adhesive, try an aluminium epoxy resin.

6. MBrolling thread starter macrumors member

7. MBrolling thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for the help guys. My class just finished so I was able to further examine it and you guys are right, the corner has been slightly bent in which pushed out that section of aluminum. I was hoping to just glue it little by little (with some sort of epoxy like Gorilla glue) from the left to right side, and after the left hardened, try and push it out by sliding the dent to the right. But I think I may need to take apart the bottom casing of my laptop to properly do it.

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You should definately take it apart and fix the dent or you are going to have more problems if you just glue it because the aluminum may crack with the temperature changes or discolor if its not allowed to flex at all.