Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

JohnnyTwoToes

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2004
Ohio
wordmunger said:
If this is it, it's disappointing. It's clearly not adjustable, which is the only major drawback of the current displays.

Keep in mind it's just a rendition of it. It's not even teh actual one...if it's even close. We still really have no idea what they'll look like, or how they'll work. I'll work on my rendition of the new apple displays...mwahahaha.

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
wordmunger said:
If this is it, it's disappointing. It's clearly not adjustable, which is the only major drawback of the current displays.

Pin-striped plastics are SO ten minutes ago.

Actually, with all the stories about how easy the aluminum PBs are to dent, maybe you could "adjust" these with a mallet.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Don't worry, by the time Apple comes out with new displays the machines will look entirely different again, I project 2006.

SFNE Freak

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2003
CT
If an artist's rendition include Photoshopping the legs and texture of a Power Mac G5 and pasting in a screenshot of a 23" Cinema Display then yep...that's an artist's rendition.

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
SFNE Freak said:
If an artist's rendition include Photoshopping the legs and texture of a Power Mac G5 and pasting in a screenshot of a 23" Cinema Display then yep...that's an artist's rendition.
Well, it was that or use a campbell's soup can...

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Someone posted this concept for a monitor to SpyMac about 6-8 months ago. And I don't mean like this concept - I mean this EXACT concept. It was criticized there for lack of adjustability.

Even though this is suposed to be an artist rendition - the source of that rendition makes the whole rumor suspect...

Of course any rumor that says that Apple will at some time release AL displays is, in my opinion, pretty safe...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Clarification

Everyone thinks that was a lowered iPod price rumor. It was not.

It was a lowered iPod PROFIT MARGIN rumor--that the Mini and HP iPod give Apple lower profits, but that Apple accepts that for the sake of sales.

And in fact, that's more than rumor, Apple said exactly that in the financial call :)

That means the Mini's HDs cost more than iPod HDs, and that HP gets a cut of their players. It does NOT mean cheaper iPods for the consumer--in fact, it means Apple has less margin (on some products) with which to work.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Looks alright to me. Of course, it could look nothing like that but I'm 100% sure that the next displays will be alluminium. They'd go very nicely with my PowerBook. Now, if I only I could come up with the dosh...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That is awesone looking, that look great together. Just enhances my desire for a G5 and Cinema Display.

Attachments

• aluminadisplay.jpg
    aluminadisplay.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,079

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
come on folks when you start getting bigger and bigger whats the point of adjustability? heck you can see the darn thing anywhere in the room. Apple is moving all of its displays larger so there isnt no reason for adjustment.

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
Do you see what thread you just posted in?

Do you see what thread you just posted in?

nagromme said:

It was a lowered iPod PROFIT MARGIN rumor--that the Mini and HP iPod give Apple lower profits, but that Apple accepts that for the sake of sales.

And in fact, that's more than rumor, Apple said exactly that in the financial call :)

That means the Mini's HDs cost more than iPod HDs, and that HP gets a cut of their players. It does NOT mean cheaper iPods for the consumer--in fact, it means Apple has less margin (on some products) with which to work.

Its ok, we all do it at least once :)

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Dont Hurt Me said:
come on folks when you start getting bigger and bigger whats the point of adjustability? heck you can see the darn thing anywhere in the room. Apple is moving all of its displays larger so there isnt no reason for adjustment.

yes, but not everyone will have the money for a gigantic display. 17 inch display is a nice size. why not make it adjustable? they even have a 20 inch display that's adjustable.

JamesDPS

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2004
Irvine, CA
question fear said:
I read the title and pictured aluminum leaking out of a display!!!!!!
:D

heh - that's good! :D anyways so what are people's predictions regarding the "next" look (after aluminum)? While other 'puter manufacturers didn't all go pinstripes (yet), they will obviously copy the entire aluminum look, so Apple will come up with something new to keep ahead of the game (eventually). someone mentioned the aluminum dents easily, so the disply could be adjusted with a hammer --- perhaps hammered steel will be the next "look"? or maybe everything will be transparent to a degree...? any thoughts from forward-thinking designers out there?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I've been putting off buying a large TV for some time now - what sorts of options might we see on a 30" Display?? VGA, DVI, S-Video, Composite input, Component input?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
carletonmusic said:
I've been putting off buying a large TV for some time now - what sorts of options might we see on a 30" Display?? VGA, DVI, S-Video, Composite input, Component input?
Knowing Apple, just ADC (i.e one cable that provides USB, DVI and power in one).

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
if apple were to make a 30 inch display, i think it would have more than ADC. it might have some standard non computer connections god willing.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
nagromme said:

Actually, though the article talks about lower profit margins, it also says this:

The iPod mini--which has much lower margins due to its component costs--may not be as directly effected by the HP deal, but is expected to see a price reduction later this year.

:rolleyes:

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
JamesDPS said:
heh - that's good! :D anyways so what are people's predictions regarding the "next" look (after aluminum)? While other 'puter manufacturers didn't all go pinstripes (yet), they will obviously copy the entire aluminum look, so Apple will come up with something new to keep ahead of the game (eventually). someone mentioned the aluminum dents easily, so the disply could be adjusted with a hammer --- perhaps hammered steel will be the next "look"? or maybe everything will be transparent to a degree...? any thoughts from forward-thinking designers out there?

I hear beige plastic is next!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.